the jolt 1̶5̶0̶ 180

jolt

39 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

emoji15.png whoa! Big impact. That's awesome. The OP is looking sexyemoji23.png I hope I can get my hands on one of those guys one day l.

Funny, I always say the same thing about Vivid's Confetti :rolleyes:

For those who think I only like acros, here's some other pieces I'm cooking
IMG_3283.thumb.JPG.e290398cdde2a5076d1897b945bc786f.JPG
IMG_3284.thumb.JPG.5e89085827b2faa2e0037d0d4296ab77.JPG
IMG_3285.thumb.JPG.dcbbd32ff4493cbe13835d696f10d9dc.JPG
IMG_3287.thumb.JPG.c9367589dca23433c5cc9906a9b1fede.JPG
IMG_3288.thumb.JPG.e9b5b44b23e0037b51365339b7cb14f3.JPG
IMG_3289.thumb.JPG.27ec6e4648bd52c6db4a0034998c940d.JPG
IMG_3290.thumb.JPG.d8edb3442b94f3c165783d34ec0d27a2.JPG
I saw all this greatness in person and I must say the frag tank is looking ridiculously nice! Great stuff all around!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few of the things I cut for the frag swap

IMG_1901.JPG

pink lemonade, and above it ASD rainbow mille

IMG_1903.JPG

pink lemonade, and to the right ORA borealis  (and a tiny nub of CC Heaven and Hell mille that was an accident)

IMG_1905.JPG

bioreef green goblin and garf bansai

IMG_1907.JPG

pc rainbow

IMG_1908.JPG

myagi tort and ORA frogskin

IMG_1910.JPG

jason fox jack o'lantern

IMG_1911.JPG

strawberry mille

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So your experience with a completely dry rock start up is very similar to mine. I only fought Dinos for the most part, but they were extremely intense. Knock on wood I haven’t seen even a sign of them since adding a uv sterilizer back in the beginning of December. I would estimate it was pretty close to the 10 month mark when I saw the first sign of coralline. I was running a year last October. So it’s been a little shy of 18 months at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is 10 months about average for coralline showing up? The 20G I set up a few months back with dry pukani went through the dino stage which wasn't too bad as I kept the lights off. I did seed the tank with some gunk collected in floss from one of my other tanks and had a big explosion of amphipods which I personally think helped keep the algae from overgrowing while going through the "ugly" phase. I would wake up and see areas of rock that had algae on them the night before completely clean or very little algae left.

I noticed a few different colors of green encrusting algae starting to grow at about 2 or so months in, then my 1st couple of specs of purple coralline about another month later.

Was there no other purple coralline in the tank to start with? like on a snail shell or whatever?

2 hours ago, mdavis735 said:

So your experience with a completely dry rock start up is very similar to mine. I only fought Dinos for the most part, but they were extremely intense. Knock on wood I haven’t seen even a sign of them since adding a uv sterilizer back in the beginning of December. I would estimate it was pretty close to the 10 month mark when I saw the first sign of coralline. I was running a year last October. So it’s been a little shy of 18 months at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honestly, mine was compounded by a pretty large group of fish added shortly after the cycle completed.  It was not how I would have planned to do it, but I picked up some mature fish that are pretty hard to find when a fellow reefer shut down their tank on short notice.  It's not often you can find a pair of yellow tangs and a gem tang that will get along with each other!

11 minutes ago, RicordeaFreak said:

Is 10 months about average for coralline showing up? The 20G I set up a few months back with dry pukani went through the dino stage which wasn't too bad as I kept the lights off. I did seed the tank with some gunk collected in floss from one of my other tanks and had a big explosion of amphipods which I personally think helped keep the algae from overgrowing while going through the "ugly" phase. I would wake up and see areas of rock that had algae on them the night before completely clean or very little algae left.

I noticed a few different colors of green encrusting algae starting to grow at about 2 or so months in, then my 1st couple of specs of purple coralline about another month later.

Was there no other purple coralline in the tank to start with? like on a snail shell or whatever?

I have no idea what is typical.  My 32 gallon took almost 2 years for any significant coralline to show up.  There are plenty of snails in the 180  and they did come in with coralline on their shells.  But its taken this long for it to start showing up on the rocks.

On 12/18/2017 at 3:53 PM, jolt said:

I really like it a lot!  I was impressed how easily I was able to saw up my live rock to make more room in the tank

gheee wizzzz  Wish I had thought of that idea instead of hammer and chisel.

• Like 1