Hello People!!

Warlock

Welcome Warlock,

Hit us up if you have any questions. There aren't as much discussion threads these days about coral husbandry/tank setup just because it's been pretty much nailed down for the most part now as a collective whole but happy to explain anything that seems confusing. Someone will always chime in if you ask.

-Ty

my plan so far.. is to set up a 29 or 20 with some live sand and live rock, filter.. and let it run for a couple of months... the only fish that i am interested in getting is FIREFISH.. and i just found out i need a clean up crew per gallon also..

i figured that would give me a good start on this.. smile.png i have enough to handle with my 3 discus tanks :)

but i am "Searching" live rock vs dry rock..

how does this sound.. ?

My personal opinion is to use dry rock. You dont end up with pests this way usually but will take longer to cycle. Maybe get some of that bacteria in a bottle that Mark talks about, not sure where to get it.

Firefish are very low bio load and very skittish. Be careful, they are known carpet surfers(jumpers). Mine ended up in my OF box and was a total pain to get him out only for me to forget to close one of my canopy doors and he bailed out. Great community fish in small groups and easy to take care of. Note, if you get any other fish that are more aggressive, the FF will go into hiding most of the time and only come out during feeding. Dont use damsels to cycle either, if they dont die they will drive you crazy trying to catch them to remove later when they start being nazi's

My personal opinion is to use dry rock. You dont end up with pests this way usually but will take longer to cycle. Maybe get some of that bacteria in a bottle that Mark talks about, not sure where to get it.

+1 to what Derrick says. If I could start over, I'd do it with dry rock. The polyclad flatworm was a nightmare...

the only downside to starting off with dry rock is the long a** cycle time. so, if you're gonna go this route, you've gotta be patient (yeah, get used to this beating of the horse). in the end, you'll be pest-free; that is if you use preventive measures with introducing everything else. good luck and congrats on being another convert. doh.gif

haha thanks for that go bama but im still hurtin after our kicker gave the game away to lsu! if you wanna check out tank builds though my brothers and i have a thread, its "75g Reefer x3."

you should definitely check out the trade/free forum too cause you can pick up a lota cool stuff in there and interact with a lot more people.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, ARC!!

i am a current Freshwater Discus Person.. and i am going to start my first Salt Water tank!!

No reef.. , not yet! smile.png

simple and low tech smile.png

can't wait!

If you keep it simple, there is a "Bullet Proof" approach to setting up a reef tank. http://www.garf.org/bulletproofreef/bulletproof.asp At GARF (Geothermal Aqua Research Facility) they favor Jaubert Plenumns with a coarse substrate (2mm-5mm), as do I. In my opinion, the grain size of the substrate determines the biodiversity of the system. This crushed coral grainsize of the Jaubert Plenumn favors bacteria; aerobic, anarobic and faculative. Many advocates of sand beds favor 2" of .1mm -1.0mm grain size for a more diverse sand bed of micro fauna and flora http://www.inlandaquatics.com/DETRITIVORES.html. Morgan Lister at Inland Aquatics has good information on grain size substrate. http://www.chucksaddiction.com/cleanupcrew.html Chuck details the start up of a reef tank.

The best size that I have found for a small reef tank is a 29 gallon high. The extra vertical height (18" high) of a 29 galloon tank compared to a 20 gallon long (13" high) accommadates the deeper sandbeds that I use in my tank husbandry. If you follow Chucks procedure, you would not add high level predators, including fish or corals, for six months. At that point you could have a fish only or a reef tank.

Because of so many dfferent types of systems in reef keeping, it is best to make a committment up front as to the biotheme. John Tullocks book, Natural Reef Keeping, focuses on a biotheme or a pivital species for our reef systems.

Happy reefing.

Patrick

Archived