Turf Scrubber Thoughts

Jbrougher

My scrubber is up and running. I am using one side only at this time but it is 162 sq in for a 72 G tank. That should be sufficient I think. I used the smallest Eheim pump I could find (20 to 80 Gal/hr) and I put it into my sump reservoir under my drip trays. I attached 1/2 tubing to the pump and the tubing fitting in the 1in PVC. The water is cascading slowly down the tank divider back into my sump. I am lighting it with a CF spotlight. I don't really have room for another one. No external buckets or trays needed. The copepods (assuming I get some) will have to fend for themselves getting through the Mag 9.5 return pump. Lacking anything else I will scoop them up with a net or a cup and dump them in the main tank.

Total cost - about $30, total assembly time - 2hrs. If I was better with a Dremel, it would have been quicker and I wouldn't have had to do it twice. If I had ordered the pump from the Dr's I could have saved a few bucks but I wanted to get this thing going. I already had a lot of the parts such as tubing, PVC, and light. If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their butt when they jump.

Now I just have to root for the algae! Grow Algae Grow! Grow Algae Grow! Grow Algae Grow!

R- Did you have the pump already? Surely if you got it done for $30.

I'll be interested to see how you did it as I was thinking of doing one over the winter, but didn't mess with putting it in my sump - so I scrapped the idea and got a bigger skimmer.

Pug, I think I paid $18 for the pump at Tek. They didn't have anything small enough at RCA. Pet Hell I and II only had air pumps. I got the tank divider at Pet Plus on 183 for $13. Everything else I already had.

What are you using for the "growing madia" there? Nylon porch screen is the usual thing I have seen but that doesn't look like it.

porch screen isn't recommended as it can have chemical additives to keep it from mildewing.

You either use, "Plastic Tank Dividers" (Pet's Mart or any pet store) or go to Hobby Lobby (cheap!) And buy 8 1/4" x 11" nylon knitting sheets. It's actually called "Clear Plastic Canvas". Same thing, less expensive $2.99 for 2 sheets! I have both.

With about $20 in parts and 45 mins (no pump yet), mine is almost complete. My build was very easy and when I finish I'll be posting a blog entry of construction.

Quick plumbing question: I have a 1" pvc T that splits to (2) 3/4" pipes with turf screens. I need a drain for my box. Should I use a bulkhead, and if so, is 1" sufficient? Any reason to use a ball valve on either the feed or drain? If I run it self contained I can just turn the pump off. If I run it from the overflow of my tank I assume I'll put a T on the overflow with a ball valve to the scrubber so it can be turned off for cleaning.

I am getting an algae growth. It is bright red. I am going to change lights to see if that makes a difference. I may also cut another piece of 1 inch PVC and try to re-do the slot. The one I am using may be a little too wide. I did take the bio-wheel out of my sump. It is a bit noiser with the water falling from the bottom of the drip trays into the reservoir. Any ideas how I can reduce the noise?

Three thoughts:

1: place your turf scrubber underneath the tray to where they are the water supply for the divider(might take extra work to make it happen though).

2: remove the trays, run your drain tube down more and have that compartment act as the skimmer section.

3: remove the trays, make a bubble tower somehow or a filter sock holder.

Watch you tank very closely after removing thos bio-wheels. i read something about useing bio-wheels on tank filters out a bacteria that eats nitrates and ammonia and will cause problems when they are taken off.. i cant remember the whole thing when i started my system the pet store guy said it was a must (lie) or maybe thats just he thought i dunno but i read and was also told its was a no no for a saltwater..

I just made a super easy one in about 10 mins for $3. Basically put a 'T' off my return line to a ball valve then to a 1' section of pvc draining onto the screen. I have about a 7" height above the water line giving me plenty of coverage and it's all contained in the return section of my sump. The water is not flowing perfectly even but pretty close. I cut a straigt line the full length of the pipe and I'm thinking several holes or perpendicular cuts would have been better. I also just read a tip to rough up the screen with low grit sandpaper first. I'll post pictures if interested.

Mine is soundless. After taking the bio-wheel out of the sump, I am getting some falling water sounds as the water falls out of my drip trays. I put a big chunk of cheato in the sump reservoir and I hope that will eventually keep the sound down.