Turf Scrubber Thoughts

Jbrougher

basic idea is that the nutrients in the water are used to grow turf algae on a controlled surface (the turf scrubber). This algae uses all the nutrients and dissolved organics in the water.

Some people running them have removed their skimmers!

Just another way to export carbon dioxide, nutrients and pollutants. As the algae grows you cut it like a your lawn (w/o the mower of course). I found several good articles when I googled Turf Scrubber.

Dave-

Perhaps I can host a meeting at my home and if you like, or, on a side note ( I know I didn't have much time the other day when you stopped by) you can come over and I'll show you how to set one up and how it works. I had a RIO 2100 pump that I was not using, bought some tubing, PVC, and a $4 file container from WalMart...about $20 total. My protein skimmer is still hooked up but only need to empty it once a month. I have thoughts that the 2 panels that I am running is just a bit under what I need for my setup. Three would be perfect. In your case with a 55 gallon, one panel would be perfect.

Post some pics of your tank and sump setup and I can figure out what may work best for you.

Dave

Perhaps I can host a meeting at my home and if you like, or, on a side note ( I know I didn't have much time the other day when you stopped by) you can come over and I'll show you how to set one up and how it works. I had a RIO 2100 pump that I was not using, bought some tubing, PVC, and a $4 file container from WalMart...about $20 total. My protein skimmer is still hooked up but only need to empty it once a month. I have thoughts that the 2 panels that I am running is just a bit under what I need for my setup. Three would be perfect. In your case with a 55 gallon, one panel would be perfect.

Post some pics of your tank and sump setup and I can figure out what may work best for you.

Dave

Dave do you have the red/brown turf algae growing? Is there someway you can propogate it so that a new turf scrubber can be more quickly brought online?

Renman,

Please put me on the waiting list for some turf also, and I would love to come by and see your setup. I didn't realize someone had one set up locally, and I've been following the MD thread for months. Have you been happy with the results?

Stephen

Could I make a cheap floating version using a non-metal screen attached to the intake end of my sump with the overflow emptying on it? I could either attach the other end further down the sump or attach floats to it so it stays in contact with water. In theory, I could just lift it out to do the scrapings as needed.

Like the one used in these images:

UserMorgadethOnACedited.jpg

I don't know what they are using to float these. Any suggestions on what would make this float and be reef safe? Cork? Styrofoam?

I don't think the floating screens would work. One of the important elements of the scrubber is flow across the screen, which you could not get from one floating.

Yes, you need strong light on it.

Stephen

I'll post some pics later today. The only problem that I see with a floating turf scrubber is you will only get substantial growth on the side that is facing the light. As far as the light goes. I'm using a single 6500k 18" tube.

Here is the link for "Santa Monica" who has been running his for nearly 2 years now. I spoke with him on several occasions and he is no longer (past year) running Protein Skimmer! This is the one that I copied with a few small changes...used a walmart $4 bucket vs a round 5 gallon container, made a "dual tube" for two scrubbers vs a single.

Santa Monica - Turf Scrubber

Dave

Reefman is right, one thing that makes it work well is that the turf is in and out of water.

The research all talks about using a scwd or similar device to have flow on/off the turf.

All the reading I did had CF home depot type bulbs to grow the algae.

I'd love to set one up but I don't have room and I don't want to listen to the splashing/falling water all day.

The water should pulsate but it is not necessary as long as the water runs at a slow pace had has plenty of air circulation. Mine takes up an 8"x12" footprint to handle a 225 gallon tank.

Renman, OK, now I'm confused. Didn't you say earlier that you needed one larger, or did I misunderstand? You sig block says you have a 225, so are you saying you wished you had oversized it a little?

Also, per Santa Monica's thread, hadn't they determined the flow just needed to be 35 gph per linear inch, and the pulsating part wasn't so important any longer?

Stephen

One square inch per gallon is what Santa Monica suggests with low flow, albeit, I can't remember the exact flow. I'm running two sheets at 8.25"x11"or 90.75"sq./ea=181.5"sq. or 181.5 gallon capacity for scrubbing. I think that a third sheet putting me at 272.25 would work better as with my sump, I'm close to 300 gallons. I think in the case of a Turf Scrubber, more is better.

I don't "Pulse" the water although I easily could with a simple mod. My tank has an external overflow and a Tunze Wavebox. The ebb and flow of water could easily be diverted to the Turf Scrubber. I just chose to use a Rio 2100 that I had lying around and plumb it directly with no pulse timer. It was just faster at the time and less hectic to me.

I really want to host a meeting here and let everyone take a look at it.

Best Regards,

Dave

This is very interesting, i have done some research but id like to see one in action. how long does it take to build up the turf algae makes me wonder if a fuge or scrubber is better.. i dont think i would eliminate my skimmer, but sounds like its a plus if you did you get more food for the tank that the skimmer skims out.

This is very interesting, i have done some research but id like to see one in action. how long does it take to build up the turf algae makes me wonder if a fuge or scrubber is better.. i dont think i would eliminate my skimmer, but sounds like its a plus if you did you get more food for the tank that the skimmer skims out.

Building the turf can take 2-3 months. On the plus side, free food for the Tangs! I would have a Fuge and Turf Scrubber...ahhh, acutually I do?! I promise, I'll post some pics by tonight.

Archived