FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Short answer bud... Its the reactor design.  I ran 4 reactors up to this point, 3 worked well and never had issues with unsteady flow that constantly slowed down... One did.  After trying everything to try to troubleshoot the one... Came down to design flaws to me regarding pressure.
Some say you can run a prefilter for the CaRX but that didn't work for me either.  So really, get an old PM CaRX, a Korallin, or an MTC Pro Cal and you can ditch the peristaltic pumps.
Otherwise, run a peristaltic or be ready to kick up your flow every 7-10 days when it slows down again.  Just my 2 cents from the reactors I've played with.

I wonder where the geo reactor fits into that mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm curious what horror stories you've read about the Kamoer pump?  I use a Kamoer pump with my calcium reactor and can give you some honest feedback from my experience.
I wouldn't consider it a horror story but the first several months of using it was really frustrating.  Air would constantly build up in the reactor and required purging every couple of days.  It's no worse than having to constantly adjust a needle value (using the push method with a conventional pump) but the whole point is to NOT have to mess with it.  Drove me crazy until I finally found a thread on reef2reef with the solution.  The reactor needs to be slightly pressurized to avoid this air build up.  You have to setup the Kamoer to pull and use either a conventional pump or return manifold to push and apply pressure.  Works great now.  I use a Geo calcium reactor so I'm not sure if this problem exists with other reactors.  I've always had issues with air/gas building up in my reactor for various reasons.
Not ideal having to still push with a pump or manifold but I've never been able to get a needle valve to work well, even with a faster stream/drip.  It's also slightly louder than I would like but not too bad.  My tank is in my living room, a couple feet from the couch so you can hear everything.  I've had it for 8-9 months and have not had to recalibrate or change out the tubing yet.

Just an awful lot of “the screen stopped working after a couple weeks” and “pump just flat out stopped working after a month” type stories with coralvue and BRS being less than helpful on replacements.

6 minutes ago, Bpb said:

I run a geo with a fast drip and bubble counter to control the ph. Comes with a great re-circulation pump. I have 2 block/screw clamps about 18 inches apart, to control the drip. This way neither one has to be tightened down too much. I think this helps prevent any clogging. I have some bubble build up in the top of the reactor. I just unscrew the probe nut slightly to let the gas out. I do this about every 2 weeks, but can prob wait a month between off gassing.

You can find brushless masterflexes for under 500. With the kamoers coming out and being refined, i fully expect the used masterflex market to be reduced. 

I guess I need to look harder

Thanks for the first hand experience.  I plan to try a Kamoer out as well.  My MTC reactor isn't keeping up with my coral uptake anymore and I have a giant Deltec CaRX but it could never keep a stable effluent.  I was going to try the Kamoer on it and see if I can keep it stable.  If so, I'll run that as my new CaRX.

You think the kamoer would be able to run a fast enough effluent? Right now on my 90 gallon I’m running roughly 85 ml/min at a ph of 6.6 on my geo 618 with full media. Doesn’t the kamoer top out at 100 ml/min?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You got it! Its TCK... All he probably did is hit the saturation bar up 5 clicks and add the word plutonium. [emoji23]

I love the diabolic Pacman... Which I was told is the better of the 3. Interestingly, the WWC afterparty... Who's online shots make it look like its from Mars... Pretty much looks like a pink Floyd... So its not a bad one for yellow too.

Man, it’s been years since I have even seen a diabolical Pac-Man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have a Geo. I had a lot of slowing effluent issues and clogging lines for a long time. I’d constantly have to open the gate valve more to keep it flowing. I tried a fix from Gigem and put a pre filter on the line before the gate Valve of the effluent line and is been rock solid ever since!

788be3d5746d3ec287256f324a01d895.jpg

I have a Geo. I had a lot of slowing effluent issues and clogging lines for a long time. I’d constantly have to open the gate valve more to keep it flowing. I tried a fix from Gigem and put a pre filter on the line before the gate Valve of the effluent line and is been rock solid ever since!

788be3d5746d3ec287256f324a01d895.jpg

How long has it been stable and how often do you clean/replace that filter?

How long has it been stable and how often do you clean/replace that filter?

2-3 months? I haven’t cleaned or replaced it yet? I bought 2 though so when it’s time, it’s easy to do so.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Tyree shout out today:

Tyree Pinky the Bear... Aka... Confetti-lite
2ee8339b4c5cda618a584218a52259c8.jpg

Tyree Superman - lesser known one but what a beauty. Hard to capture the blue but think iridescent bright in person.
437dca9e310435239dac7394eaaee1d3.jpg

Its all right if your into pretty colors and great extension, but i apparently like mine either bone white or super brown. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mhart032 said:

Its all right if your into pretty colors and great extension, but i apparently like mine either bone white or super brown. 

Maybe we should start our own club. It's a love/hate relationship having to look at Ty's awesome corals all the time...

• Like 2

Maybe we should start our own club. It's a love/hate relationship having to look at Ty's awesome corals all the time...
Its all smoke and mirrors Josh. [emoji6]

Actually, my JF Foxflame browned out completely on me last week after my alk spike. It's ugly. Obviously I didnt include a picture of It. [emoji16]
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Actually, my JF Foxflame browned out completely on me last week after my alk spike. It's ugly. Obviously I didnt include a picture of It. emoji16.png

Ah that's no good. Aren't you running the alktronic? Figured your alk would be dialed in with that thing.

• Like 1

What camera settings do you use, Ty?

I take all my pictures in RAW format with the "Shade" temperature setting on my Nikon D5300. I then use Lightroom to match what I see in person.

I get much better results this way then shooting JPG.
  • Like 1

Ah that's no good. Aren't you running the alktronic? Figured your alk would be dialed in with that thing.
I have it in monitor mode only... I have trust issues and can't seem to let go yet and let it run in control mode. [emoji51]
  • Like 3