Brooks & Sean's Tank(s) 87g & 20g

Brooks

3 minutes ago, olaggie01 said:

Is it a brand new tank? ML stand too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yessir. Brand new ML tank and stand. I've read dozens of threads online and this seems to be a recurring issue with ML tanks, but no documented case of one leaking. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yessir. Brand new ML tank and stand. I've read dozens of threads online and this seems to be a recurring issue with ML tanks, but no documented case of one leaking. 

I think you need to invest in a level. You could borrow mine if you wanted to drive to Georgetown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I meant to go get one yesterday but got caught up at work until 9:30. Going to head to Home Depot here shortly and grab a level. 

Thank you for offering for me to borrow yours! 

You need to make sure the tank is square as well. Take a tape measure and measure the diagonals on each side.  For example, in the front measure from the top left to lower right corner, then from the top right to lower left corner. The measurements should be equal, and if they are the tank is square.  Repeat that for each side.

If it's square and level I would think it is a problem with construction.  if it is not square and not level, then being unlevel could be pulling out of of being square.

18 minutes ago, mFrame said:

You need to make sure the tank is square as well. Take a tape measure and measure the diagonals on each side.  For example, in the front measure from the top left to lower right corner, then from the top right to lower left corner. The measurements should be equal, and if they are the tank is square.  Repeat that for each side.

If it's square and level I would think it is a problem with construction.  if it is not square and not level, then being unlevel could be pulling out of of being square.

Mike!! Thanks for throwing that out there! I hadn't thought about that at all. 

I just measured and every side is equal. I couldn't get to the back side of the tank but the other 3 were fine. 

4 minutes ago, mFrame said:

Well, being a cube, if three sides are all equal then theoretically the fourth should be.  Leaning more towards construction as the culprit...

I'm also wondering if they just didn't polish the glass correctly on the corners. The other 2 sides aren't as severe and do have bubbles, but not like the two with the white patches. 

Hopefully its purely aesthetic, but I'm thinking it'll be easier to drain the tank and demand that MarineLand send me another. Nobody wants 93g of water on their floors... :|

4 minutes ago, mFrame said:

Well, if it ended up being purely aesthetic you could paint or put trim on the corners to mask it.  Kind of defeats the purpose though...

Very true. If it were purely aesthetic I could get over it. Its just the structural integrity that I'm most concerned about. Hopefully MarineLand will get back with me tomorrow! 

true "square" you need to use 3-4-5. measure 3 inches on one pane, 4 inches on connecting pane, measure between both out those marks, should be exactly 5. you only need to do it twice, on both sides of a single pane

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Well, MarineLand is sending me a check to replace the tank.

so they are replacing.. awesome.  they either know the tank isnt square, or there is air in the silicone... im betting they wont admit which one.

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

so they are replacing.. awesome.  they either know the tank isnt square, or there is air in the silicone... im betting they wont admit which one.

Well, they said that they can't ship a tank that big (weird, right?) so they'll just send me a check to replace it. The guy on the phone tried to play the "blame the LFS and get it exchanged with them," game but I was insistent that it wasn't their fault. 

He saw the pictures of the bubbles that I sent in, and recommended that the tank not be used with that amount of bubbles in it.  Better safe than sorry on their end I guess. 

Anyhow, I now have to decide if I want to replace the tank with another ML, or get something with a better track record. 

Tank breakdown begins... NOW. 
Who wants to help? :kisses:

Brooks, sorry to hear that you are having to break the new tank down and redo it. Your tanks always look so good and def jealous of some of those new frags ya got lol.

I have to run to Houston this morning to drop a tank off to a friend but will be back later tonight. Let me know if you still need some help and I would be glad to help out man.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jon.Hanna said:

Brooks, sorry to hear that you are having to break the new tank down and redo it. Your tanks always look so good and def jealous of some of those new frags ya got lol.

I have to run to Houston this morning to drop a tank off to a friend but will be back later tonight. Let me know if you still need some help and I would be glad to help out man.

Jon

Thanks Jon! I might take you up on that! The new tank is supposed to arrive at AquaTek anywhere from 3-6pm... the earlier the better of course. Ha! 

I just ran to Home Depot to buy some trash cans... let the fun begin. 

Alright, AquaTek said don't even bother putting water in it. 

I'm getting rid of the MarineLand tank all together, and going with an 85g Planet Aquariums rimless.... it should arrive Friday. 

50 minutes ago, Jon.Hanna said:

Now that tank I cannot wait to see built out that's gonna be an amazing build I'm sure!!!

Thanks Jon! I'm excited as well. I'll just have to live with two 45g trashcans, 5g buckets, and equipment all over my living room for the next few days. LOL.

52 minutes ago, jolt said:

I love my Planet.  I think you will be pretty happy with their quality.

I'm so pleased to hear that, especially from someone who has one of their tanks. I've always heard great things about them. 

Archived