Lazy man's 240....or let's get crazy and just go over 300 build

bfrench

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time build thread. You can skip this paragraph if you don't want my reefing history. The 4th paragraph will be about the build. I bought my first fish tank in 2014 when I started working from home. It was a complete system purchase of a 36 gallon bow front from someone off Craigslist. It was a nice little tank and I learned quite a bit in the 4 months I had it up and running.

36%20gallon_zps64gewnxg.jpg

However, it wasn't large enough for me to keep the fish that I wanted (tangs and anthias) so I upgraded to a 140 gallon (5'x18"x30") also a craigslist special. It's been running for almost two years with pretty solid success. Notice the tiny toadstool in the 36 is now massive two years later, just noticed that and it made me smile.

140%20gallon%20initial%20set%20up_zpsbzx

We had our first child almost 11 months ago and my ability to keep up with maintenance, water changes, and testing fell off. Fast forward six months and I've got a bunch of algae on the glass, fish are doing fine, corals are alive, but not thriving. I test the water nitrates are still 0 although I haven't done a water change in at least 6 months or more. I started doing some reading and realized that others had similar success with a refugium like the one I was running. So, I forgave my anal retentive side and set out to create a build for our new house that would make maintenance even easier.

140%20gallon%20current_zpsjvyev3tb.jpg

We recently got a foreclosure under contract. I'll post pictures over the next few days. We got quite the deal on the home and the wife gave me the go ahead to upgrade to a larger tank. We're walling off some space to create an office. One of our current issues is I work from home and get to enjoy the tank daily, but no one else really does. I have to keep my office immaculate and try to keep kiddos from getting into the sump. So, in the new home the wall that divides the office from the play room will house the tank. It will sit flush with the wall to the play room so the kids can see it at their liking and will also serve as a window to my office. We're having the wall framed out so the stand can be built directly into the wall. All the flooring has to go, so the stand will also be centered directly on the slab.

We decided to go with a standard 240 gallon (8x2x2) acrylic. I'm a fan of the ecotech products and never really got into the whole APEX controller thing, although I'm sure they're great, I just would go nuts trying to chase the values all the time. So, we're sticking with 4 radion xr30w pros, 3 vortech MP40's, and a Vectra L1. Still debating on the whole close loop bit. I'm a big believe that the more moving parts there are the more likely something will go terribly wrong. For the sump we're picking up the emerald trigger 39. I don't run a protein skimmer now, and pretty sure I won't in this one either. Just a huge refugium with some mechanical filtration and possibly phosgurad in a mesh bag. To make water changes a breeze I'm hoping to pick up the reef genesis storm and renew. The RODI line will be run through the ceiling/wall and into the stand for ease of access. The line will be split with a valve so I can still have access in the laundry room for mixing up salt water. Also having a PVC drain run to the outer wall of the house from under the tank for easy disposal of tank water.

Most of the current live rock will make the transfer, the exception being the pieces with more aggressive soft corals (I'm looking at you button polyps and GSP). I'm not going to purchase a ton of SPS frags, but transfer over what I have and try to trade for some additional. I want to grow mulitple large colonies rather than stack everything up and run out of space . I like the minimalist approach, but I'll have a ton of space to do it in smile.png. Looking forward to sharing this dream build with y'all. So far all the ecotech products have been ordered and I'm meeting with contractors this week to get bids. Advice is welcome, but don't be offended if I take it with a grain of salt. I'm trying to mirror this build that I found and it seems he's only running a calcium reactor smile.pnghttp://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/6/aquarium

Lazy man's 240

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, another 240! Welcome to the club

Who did you have build your tank?

Also, I've never used it but Ecotech has a controller type thing for their products that will let you control the pumps and lights. Might be worth looking into without having to get into the complexity of a full blown controller.

Nice, another 240! Welcome to the club

Who did you have build your tank?

Also, I've never used it but Ecotech has a controller type thing for their products that will let you control the pumps and lights. Might be worth looking into without having to get into the complexity of a full blown controller.

Thanks!

I've already got the reef link and absolutely love it. I've had a few issues with it, but Ecotech's support has been top notch. The reeflink, 2 mp40s, and 2 xr30w pros will be making the transition from the current tank to the new tank.

I haven't commissioned it yet. I'm going acrylic again and have gotten a huge range of quotes. Thus far I've been able to rule out one from a local store. The quote was more than double most of the others I've received. Once I put an order in I'll be sure to share my experience. We don't close on the new house until July 1 and I'm hoping to get the contractor and subs in there within a week of closing. Should mean the tank would be ready to go in mid July. Call me crazy, but I didn't "cure" any of the live rock before the last upgrade and everything seemed to work out just fine. Really considering skipping on it this time too.

Have any of you guys/gals been able to find acrylic rods locally for aquascaping? I'm planning on at least one arch and want at least 4-6in of clearance on either side of the tank, so I can't lean anything this time around.

Thanks guys. First snag hit tonight. I laid out the measurements for my wife and she decided it wasn't impressive enough.....so she wants something huge apparently that I'm going to have to snorkel in to clean (j/k). So we may be transitioning to a 225 tall so it's got more depth to it and takes up more floor to ceiling space. Thoughts? I really don't want to push a 300 gallon, just seems like overkill

Big fan of my 215 gallon dimensions... 72" x 24" x 29". Good length for most of your tangs and large angels and nice height and depth to get you that show tank look. Takes up my vision when looking at it. My only gripe is wishing I had a 30" depth but that would get me in that 300-gallon range. Not there yet in this house at least.

Born to Hula, I just got done reading your thread. Very well thought out!

Thanks!

Thanks guys. First snag hit tonight. I laid out the measurements for my wife and she decided it wasn't impressive enough.....so she wants something huge apparently that I'm going to have to snorkel in to clean (j/k). So we may be transitioning to a 225 tall so it's got more depth to it and takes up more floor to ceiling space. Thoughts? I really don't want to push a 300 gallon, just seems like overkill

Its hard to beat the ratio of looking impressive to actual gallon volume of a 240. You are going to lose a 2 feet in length to gain 6 inches in height. I am quite biased though! spiteful.gif

I laid out the measurements for my wife and she decided it wasn't impressive enough.....so she wants something huge apparently

i2yYun3.gif?noredirect
I was gonna leave that one alone. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I laid out the measurements for my wife and she decided it wasn't impressive enough.....so she wants something huge apparently

i2yYun3.gif?noredirect

thats what she said?

i2yYun3.gif?noredirect

thats what she said?

Wow that got spun out fast.....

I really like my 240 72x24x31

Pictures from the house and the new hardware for the tank. If anyone is looking for a radion pro PM me I have an extra that's new in box. Only need 3 now since the tank is 6ft instead of 8

b6ec74d84c26d8814d381a5c56a13b51.jpg

503fa1ce76591ec6f579dcce07888cbf.jpg

ffa9bbebb682beeae68cf35d36dd2c14.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Born to Hula, I just got done reading your thread. Very well thought out!

Thanks!

Its hard to beat the ratio of looking impressive to actual gallon volume of a 240. You are going to lose a 2 feet in length to gain 6 inches in height. I am quite biased though! spiteful.gif

After looking at a few 8 foot tanks and talking to the tank manufacturer the oooo and ahhh factor really seems to come from vertical rock work and additional height to the tank.

By the way, decided to go with James st envision acrylics. He's been wonderfully patient and incredibly knowledgeable. Deposit made today. Tank should be here mid July.

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice/help. I'm excited about this new build and want to do things right this time around. Which means quarantining all new fish. However this seems completely irrelevant if I don't QT my current stock.

Current fish included hippo tang, desijidarini (sp?) tang, flame angel, pink spot gobby, lawn mower blenny, m and f square back anthias, 2 blue green chromis, 1 banghai cardinal.

Here's the kicker, we're packing up to move. So I'm not sure where I could set up a quarantine tank until the new house is ready (end of July), but I'd like to tear down the current one so it's not a turn off to potential buyers and so we can get the carpets cleaned.

Would anyone be interested in being paid to QT some fish? Would you take payment in coral? Live rock?

Suggestions are appreciated also experiences from people who have pulled off a move and upgrade before would also be welcome. Thank you

I'll be posting some coral for sale/trade next week :-)

Coming from a Realtor, if your tank looks nice, I'd just leave it in the house when you list the property. If it is unsightly and full of algae, definitely break it down and remove it.

If it does look nice, by the time you get under contract, it'll be at least 30 days usually before you close. Not sure if your new house purchase is contingent on the sale of your current house (doesn't sound like it is), you could setup a QT tank at the new house and transfer your fish over there while you are under contract on the old house with plenty of time to make it all happen.

I was going to pull the rock during the water change and scrape it in a 5 gallon bucket to limit the toxin exposure to the tank, but I guess just dryin and sun baking the rock works too. Completely open to suggestions

Just to continue the discussion in your own build thread, I'd just toss the rock honestly but that's coming from a guy who still has flashbacks of the recent ER visit I had with palytoxin. It was quite painful and I couldn't breathe right for weeks afterwards. I'm lucky I didn't kill myself honestly.

Otherwise, I'd just leave it in the sun for a month and then scrape off what you could of the dried, crusted palys and cure/cycle the rock again. Or you could just add some muriatic acid and cook the rock after letting it dry in the sun. Personally, tossing and buying new rock seems like much less work to me but I'm lazy.

Noted, unfortunately that knocks out two really large pieces of rock. May just trade it in to one of the local stores. Or just chuck it

Noted, unfortunately that knocks out two really large pieces of rock. May just trade it in to one of the local stores. Or just chuck it

$3/lb of dry rock to replace it? Or a potential $2k ER visit? I think you're winning out by tossing it or if you don't want to kill the corals, trade it in.

Coming from a Realtor, if your tank looks nice, I'd just leave it in the house when you list the property. If it is unsightly and full of algae, definitely break it down and remove it.

If it does look nice, by the time you get under contract, it'll be at least 30 days usually before you close. Not sure if your new house purchase is contingent on the sale of your current house (doesn't sound like it is), you could setup a QT tank at the new house and transfer your fish over there while you are under contract on the old house with plenty of time to make it all happen.

I'm a REALTOR (cause heaven forbid you don't capitalize it :eyeroll: ) too, inactive at the moment. Unfortunately the tank is on carpet and I'd like to see the condition of the carpet. We're already replacing/cleaning the carpets. We've been diligent financially and can afford both mortgage payments and the remodel got the new home, so no contingency. New home is a HUD foreclosure that's needs a little TLC, but is structurally sound.

I like the idea of a QT tank at the new house. Guess I could just get two and set one up for the corals and one for the fish. Unfortunately that means waiting until early July when they get all the new flooring in.....worse case scenario maybe the wife would let me set it up on our current tile. Off to craigslist to find some less expensive tanks :-)

Archived