20,000 gallon reef aquarium

FarmerTy

He has some pretty fantastic growth! When I first saw this tank I had my doubts about the plans. Honestly, I'm surprised at some of the fish selections. I guess if you have 20,000 gallons of large colonies then it doesn't matter if there is some nipping. I thought for sure the snappers would eat the anthias though.

We know what Ty will fantasize about now...sitting there staring at his tank and imagining all his SPS growing as large as the ones in that tank.

My fantasy involves a real aquarium, I mean a City of Austin funded Aquarium, opens up and asks me to be their curator of their 20,000 gallon reef tank. And also pays me royally to do it. [emoji4]

Watched the entire thing. I do wish there was a little more behind the scenes footage but the tank is so amazing that it would be hard from a production standpoint to focus on much else. Based on the incredible amount of maintenance I'd much rather visit one of these tanks than have one of my own. You'd never be able to leave this thing for more than a few days unless you invested heavily into automating it.

i wouldn't build something this big, even if I had the money to throw away. Talk about being a slave to your tank. I think Ty is on the right track. Go to work, play with tanks, get paid, and go home. That's the life!

You'd never be able to leave this thing for more than a few days unless you invested heavily into automating it.

Talk about being a slave to your tank.

That's like saying you wouldn't buy a mansion because you'd have to clean it, or a ranch because you'd have to run it. If you have the money to build that tank, you have the money to pay someone(s) to keep it running.

I think Joe and Ty are kindred spirits. I can see Ty doing the same thing getting "a twitch in his eye" and diving into the tank and cutting down corals and re-aquascaping all the time.

If only I had a pet penguin...

You'd never be able to leave this thing for more than a few days unless you invested heavily into automating it.

That's like saying you wouldn't buy a mansion because you'd have to clean it, or a ranch because you'd have to run it. If you have the money to build that tank, you have the money to pay someone(s) to keep it running.

It's no longer a hobby when someone else is running your tank. It becomes a piece of furniture and another bill that has to be paid. The joy of the hobby is in the building of the system and the satisfaction success brings. Mansions aren't sold because they become a little dirty, but tanks are abandoned every day as the hobbyist loses the fight with any number of pests or outside factors. There are many different kinds of slavery and many of them we enter into willingly.

It's no longer a hobby when someone else is running your tank. It becomes a piece of furniture and another bill that has to be paid. The joy of the hobby is in the building of the system and the satisfaction success brings. Mansions aren't sold because they become a little dirty, but tanks are abandoned every day as the hobbyist loses the fight with any number of pests or outside factors. There are many different kinds of slavery and many of them we enter into willingly.

Yeah, when I was a kid I always liked building legos more than playing with them. Luckily with a fish tank, it's always a work in progress but I doubt I would have a tank if I wasn't doing it myself.

Fair enough, but when I win the lottery, I'm getting a big ole tank and paying someone else to take care of all the things I don't want to. Probably not 20k gal, but more like 600.

Fair enough, but when I win the lottery, I'm getting a big ole tank and paying someone else to take care of all the things I don't want to. Probably not 20k gal, but more like 600.
When I win the lottery, I'm buying an island located on an atoll. Forget the tank, I'm going straight to the source. No maintenance required though my chances of getting eaten by a shark went up just a smidge.

Archived