Clams vs LEDs

Jmvanness

I've been reading about clams for a bit now and have decided on derasa. They seem to be the most hardy and also the only one that I know of that you can place in the sand bed without having a rock or dish to put it on. As soon as I find a cool one in Austin im gettin it!

Can't comment on LEDs but I'm new to clams also and my first one is a tiny maxima. It was roughly 2" when I purchased it and it's grown about an inch maybe. Been pretty easy. Just made sure not to let it be in the open air too long, burp it once it's in the water, placed it on a little pile of rubble and in a couple days it attatched itself. Been easy since then. Just sits there and looks cool.

Yes.

post-1247-0-29345600-1421248380_thumb.jp

I've seen posts myself of people saying certain animals will only grow under one type of lighting technology but not another but this is a misconception. To put it simply a photon is a photon is a photon. The difference between a blue light and red light is blue light is a shorter wavelength (ie, more photons) therefor higher energy level. But a photon of blue light is the same as a photon of red light. The differences are in spectrum emitted and the intensity and LED fixtures can be designed to match both MH and fluorescent outputs but in practice there are differences. An interesting study shows corals can detect the subtle differences in spectra and adjust their growth accordingly:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4149485/

Spot on Tim. Anecdotally, I think we all have experienced corals adapting when they "brown out", "wash out" or "color up". All varying responses to different stimuli and water quality parameters. A photon is a photon is a photon. Is a photon. Is a photon.

Maxima clams are the most common that I have seen. They come in a variety of colors and patterns that often determine their prices. The Waikiki Aquarium keeps them outside in open top aquariums. They require more light and less flow than Deresa clams as they get more of their nutrients from light and less from filtering. These clams are normally kept in the sand.

Deresa clams are also very common and are sometimes cheaper than Maxima. They are primarily filter feeders and don't need as much light as Maxima. They are also normally kept in the sand.

Crocea clams have shells that grow much taller than Maxima and Deresa clams. They show less flesh and have smooth shells rather than the textured shells of most other clams. They are heavier than other clams as well because their shell is thicker. They need the most light of the clam species, but they also filter feed. One thing that marks Crocea from other clams is that they don't do well in sand. They prefer to burrow into the rockwork to support their heavy base.

Squamosa clams are similar to Maxima clams and have the same requirements. The difference is that they prefer to attach to a solid surface over the soft sand.

Gigas clams are the largest variety of clam. They can get well over a hundred pounds and I have pictures of some species that are three feet across. This was my first clam back in 2000 and I thought it was beautiful. They do tend to lose some color when they reach about a foot across. They have similar specifications as Maxima clams, but their foot doesn't attach well to solid surfaces due to the weight. It is best to keep them in the sand.

In my experience Derasa and Crocea tend to be the best for clam newbies as they're more hardy. I've found Maxima to be much prettier (blues, greens, etc) but must harder to maintain.

Also, make sure you don't have fish known to pick on clams (certain wrasses, etc). Once they have a taste for clam the clam always loses.

Stress induced. I respectfully disagree on the over simplification of the photon is a photon statement. I can come back and tell someone trying to lose weight and gain muscle that a calorie is a calorie. Just provide the right amount and you're good...

Clams grow fine under light.

whether it be MH, LEDs, T5, T12. Probably not Incandescent or PC lights alone though.

Calling a Photon a Photon is a Photon is like saying a car is a car is a car or Like Bpb said a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

A calorie from a candy bar doesn't contain the same genetic make or minerals or nutrition up as a calorie out of broccoli

A Fiat is markedly different from a Ferrari. But they are both made in Italy.

A photon is only as good as the spectrum its coming from. A 420nm blue photon is a 420nm blue photon whether it comes from a MH or a LED. But saying a photon is just a photon is simplifying it to the point that the statement is wrong.

Bingo. Yes a photon is a photon. But not all photons are created equally. Some we cannot see, some help sustain life, others can penetrate concrete and kill with death! Lol

Different combinations of photons can do different things. You can freeze a flowering plant in a perpetual state of growth and zero flowering forever with the correct management of spectrum. A photon simply is a term for a wave/particle. They're not all equal and neither are their uses and functions. This is not a debate on mh vs led. This is falsely simplified electromagnetic spectrum in general. Had to clear that up but didn't want to totally break the ice on it

Yes.

attachicon.gifBDY KLR 049.jpg

I've seen posts myself of people saying certain animals will only grow under one type of lighting technology but not another but this is a misconception. The differences are in spectrum emitted and the intensity and LED fixtures can be designed to match both MH and fluorescent outputs but in practice there are differences. An interesting study shows corals can detect the subtle differences in spectra and adjust their growth accordingly:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4149485/

So Tim doesn't think I'm picking on him. I deleted 2 sentences of his post and its spot on and perfect with out the photon statement.

My bad, doh.gif lets try this:

To put it simply a red photon is a red photon is a red photon. The difference between a photon of blue light and photon of red light is the photon of blue light has a shorter wavelength which translates to a higher energy level than a photon of red light. But a photon of red light of a specific wavelength from a MH bulb is the same as a photon of red light of the same wavelength from a fluorescent bulb or an LED or the sun for that matter.

Does that stop the eye twitch Bpb? smile.png

Archived