Dual Personality Frag Tank

Reburn

Mother of God. I don't know why but this last update is like being choke slammed with awesomeness. Well done. That sump is the definition of clean engineerinf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Pardon my French but.... DAM!

That sump looks much better than that piece of junk eggcrate one you had first.

Well. That piece of junk eggcrate sump allowed me to mock up exact compartment sizes and dimensions. And I know your pulling my chain :D

The bubble trap falling in the center stile of the cabinets was by design. I have full unrestricted access to all 3 compartments.

post-3632-0-38155800-1458784620_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-10861100-1458784639_thumb.jp

I also finished my rock platform for my rock compartment. A). I didn't want a bunch of rock in my cryptic zone marring up my pretty acrylic sump and B). In an effort to keep detritus from settling I decided to platform up the rock. I am thinking about picking up a used gyre 130 to put in that compartment running half in reverse to keep the detritus suspended.

I built the platform out of 3/8 clear acrylic and 1" square acrylic rod feet. It got slotted with a 3/8 and 1/4 router bits. Alternating 3/8,1/4,3/8,14,3/8 for each of the platforms. I had to half it to be able to get them in around the euro bracing so there is 2 separate platforms.

post-3632-0-50615600-1458785201_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-45493000-1458785216_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I wouldn't even put doors on my sump if it looked like that. Great work

I really really considered leaving it unskinned. But that's all I need is for my 6 year old daughter or one of her friends to put her strawberry shortcake doll in the sump because she wants to go swimming. I'm not to worried about my kids because they know not to touch even the glass on the tanks, but their friends, who knows.

The cabinet face is bolted onto the steel stand with rivnuts that are drilled into the frame, holding a piece of 1" aluminum angle that is wood screwed into the back of the cabinet face. Yes of course I had the aluminum pieces powder coated with the frame. There is 16 or so holding the cabinet faces on.

What this accomplished is being able to pull the skins easily and reinstall them easily if I need to.

post-3632-0-83641100-1458785835_thumb.jp

That is my custom made pressure switch box. It has 2 pressure switch floats that run the primary and emergency cutoff for my ATO, it's the same pressure switches Avast marine uses for their ATO systems and Skimmate lockers. I'm using a digital aquatics dosing pump for my ATO pump. If you look closely at the circled bracket in the return compartment there is also a third manual float valve for the ATO. There is also a 3/8 black tubing that runs to my salt water barrel so when I do water changes I just vacuum the skimmer compartment and/or return compartment and fire up my pump on my saltwater barrel and refill the tank. I can't go into the septic with discarded saltwater so I have to siphon out into the yard.

post-3632-0-75493800-1458824082_thumb.jp

post-3632-0-52820800-1458824323_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was thinking it would never get wet and just be like a trophy frag tank.

I was beginning to wonder myself.

Bean animal is tuned. It is dead silent. You can't ever hear the pumps. Very happy.

• Like 3

So 2 leaks. Drips. On the drains of course. Thankfully none on the return manifold yet.

One on the left side Fuge seeping water at the gate valve. Annoying but manageable due to my liberal placement of unions. The most annoying g part is 1.5" spears gate valves and 1.5" unions are not cheap. But fixed.

Second one is where the pipe inserts into the bulkhead at the bottom of the external overflow box. Holy cow. It had to be the emergency drain. It had to be the middle of the 3 pipes. The absolutely hardest piece of plumbing to access on the entire tank. It's just a seep. I couldn't get my big channel locks in there to spin the nut on the Union. Sighs. Cusses. A lot. So I used my PVC flush cutter. It was a nerve racking, sweating bullets cussing event. I was very nervous about accidentally cutting the acrylic as I was cutting through the bulkhead as getting another 26" ghost overflow would take weeks or more. But I prevailed. I'm tired and irritated but everything is back together waiting for the glue to dry.

Thank God I held the tank off the wall 11.5", thank God I didn't have that extra slice of pizza last night as I had to suck my gut in as far as I could to squeeze behind the tank.

Now I know I can fix any of the plumbing with the tank running. It's not fun but can be accomplished.

After the glue dries I'm going to perform a static test where I friction fit caps to the bottom of the drains and fill them up with water and let sit for 12 hrs. Wish me luck.

• Like 2