Dual Personality Frag Tank

Reburn

Filling.

Are those biopellets tumbling in reverse? [emoji23]
I don't get it.
Didn't you say your reactor was plumbed backwards the other day? I was just ribbing you.
Oh yea. Carbon reactor. I was like wha bio wha. I didn't know I was doing bio pellets. Good job soaring that one right over my head.

Yes the carbon reactor was plumbed backwards because apparently I can't read :(. But it's fixed :)

Sounds like scotch time!!!! Kudos for building the tank NOT flush against the wall. The Grinch has been giving me guff for our tank being like 8" from the wall. How the heck else are you supposed to manage the wires and plumbing without a little working room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Happy to report no leaks. Yea yea I didn't do a 12 hr static test. I did 2 hrs and got impatient.

Flow. (System clocked in at 160 gallons of actual water)

Carbon reactor 70 gph fed off return pump - target 80 gph

Recirculating skimmer 165 gph fed off return pump - target 200 gph for 1.5 turnover per hour (a little lower then I would like but maxed out for John guest tubing)

Algae scrubber 120 gph fed off return pump - target 280 gph (a lot lower then I would like but maxed out for 1/2" John guest tubing) may get put on its own pump. Currently at 15 gph per inch of screen. Should be at 35 gph per inch. It will work at that low flow rate but it's decreasing it from a 2 cube a day scrubber to a .75 cube a day scrubber.

GFO reactor - stand alone

Carx - 30ml/min

Returns - anybody's guess

Now just fine tuning.

• Like 1

Mental note of a rookie mistake. Sand adds displacement. If you add 220 lbs of sand and don't take out water it will come out on its own.

Everything performed well. Skins came off easy enough (they are still bolted on so they take a minute)

Everything is back together.

• Like 1

So I worked out another kink yesterday. I'm running the tank at 80. When the halides turned in I could see a steady increase over the 5 hr photo period to 82 degrees. Some days 81.6, 81.7. So I have been contiplating cutting 200mm fans into the top of the halides to pull air through the casing and vent it up. If you have been following the thread you know I decided to run my mogul based halides without the glass. Since they are 20" reflectors I just didn't want to put the weight on the light rack and also the only way you can get the glass out to change the lamp is by pulling the glass out for the back. Thanks Hamilton for that bad design...... This makes it impossible to do when the rack is in the air. Now I did design the rack where I can pull it down fairly easily. I decided it wouldn't hurt to put the glass back in to see if that helped the heat problems. All in all it took 30 minutes to take the rack down and put the glass back in and rehang the rack.

The result yesterday is the tank only rose 0.5 degrees. I'm quite happy and am going to be running with the glass in the fixture it looks like. I still haven't completely scrapped the fan project but I'm going to table it for the time being and monitor the temperature of the halides and tank when they are running for a couple days.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh man. the frag tanks growing up fast. I remember when it was just a gleam in its fathers eye! You'll be breaking racks to make frags in no time.

My photo taking skills is about a 4. Didn't finish taking pictures before the halides turned off but I got close. Sorry I'll work on the picture taking eventually :)

Looks more like a strong 6 to me... It's pretty hard to take them in shallow tanks, with the overhead glare from the lights...my plague.

Edited by Bluemoon

Oh man. the frag tanks growing up fast. I remember when it was just a gleam in its fathers eye! You'll be breaking racks to make frags in no time.

My photo taking skills is about a 4. Didn't finish taking pictures before the halides turned off but I got close. Sorry I'll work on the picture taking eventually :)

Looks more like a strong 6 to me... It's pretty hard to take them in shallow tanks, with the overhead glare from the lights...my plague.

I hope I don't have to break too many frag racks. Those are all custom made zen reef frag racks with frag lock. They weren't exactly cheap.

Thank for all the kind words guys.

• 1 year later...