Shawn's 29g Starter Tank

ShawnKoto

A cool name for that second coral you posted is gates of hell leptastrea. Dustin misspelled it:)

Hey I was just going with what ty spelled...

Shawn I have a 55g sump divided up into 3 different sections (it's from my 240g tank...I just hooked it up to my 30g for the time being until I find the cube or drop-off of my dreams)...in my macro section (where the sand is) it's about 4-5" deep and it's in the middle of my sump...in my display it's about 2". The other parts of the sump are for the skimmer on one side and the return on the other side...I jammed as much live rock from my 240g as I could fit...as soon as I added this sump I saw an immediate stabilization after the sand and rock got dialed in. I ran the same set up (aside the rocks being jammed in there) in my 240g but I only had it set up for 6-8 months before I moved.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A cool name for that second coral you posted is gates of hell leptastrea. Dustin misspelled it:)

Hey I was just going with what ty spelled...

Shawn I have a 55g sump divided up into 3 different sections (it's from my 240g tank...I just hooked it up to my 30g for the time being until I find the cube or drop-off of my dreams)...in my macro section (where the sand is) it's about 4-5" deep and it's in the middle of my sump...in my display it's about 2". The other parts of the sump are for the skimmer on one side and the return on the other side...I jammed as much live rock from my 240g as I could fit...as soon as I added this sump I saw an immediate stabilization after the sand and rock got dialed in. I ran the same set up (aside the rocks being jammed in there) in my 240g but I only had it set up for 6-8 months before I moved.

Shame on you Dustin for following Ty even into the misspelling of words. . . . For shame.

Just put a post about flow up on my mentor thread (in signature). If anyone has a BC where they have experimented with flow I would love to hear some things that have worked for you. Or if you have any other feedback on the mentor post, please post it here.

All I can say is apparently healthy zoas live in se pretty high range flow. They grow stronger stalks and will be free of amy settling fungus and my zoas in higher flow seems to have less critters bugging them as well.

As for every other type of coral.. I have no idea lol

But my tank seems so be doing better now that I have my filter and powerhead facing eachother. I get these random little surges/tornadoes blowing through the front of the tank that the corals seem to love so much more than just one directional flow pattern

Just saw your lights. They look cool. I would run then at 10% which is probably the minimum they will come on at and work up from there. I would also move most of your coral to the sandbed up against the glass to start with. Then slowly work in and up. You can bleach SPS really fast with LEDs. Zoas are more tolerant but you can still hurt them. Your Halloween frag I would find a shady spot for. It is going to likely not like the intense light.

Hey Reburn, thanks for the feedback. All corals have been moved as suggested. smile.png

For anyone that is following my mentor thread you will see that I kicked some butt this weekend and got my LED retrofit in there and also installed a new Jebao pump.

The tank is looking pretty good and my corals seem very happy. Although, I have been between 10-30% on the LEDs, I have been running them for too long and am getting algae. I am going to clip it down to 8 hours I guess: 2 ramp-up, 4 full, 2 ramp-down.

the big part that I am looking for is feedback with the flow... especially anyone that has a highly successful 29bc.. ::cough:: Vic ::cough:: toly ::cough::.... whistle.gif

post-3767-0-42809600-1415074757_thumb.jp

The RW4 at 100% just blows all the sand around the tank at around 60% it is still a bit strong, but I have a lot of playing/testing to do still.

i found that i needed 2 pumps to get flow. that's due to my rock structure though. I don't really have them set up to do anything in particular, they go through a wide variety of modes to try and get different flow throughout the da.

Thanks, victoly. I was thinking that I would need to add another pump as well, because the flow coming from the return pump is constant and that can be deflected. Then I can have an apex controlled pump providing varied pressure and creating turbulence on the other side.

I am having a bit of an issue with my snails and a coral leather and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas. That said, I am going to copy a post from my mentor thread.

So, I came home today and two more snails have died--they are dropping like flies--third one this week. My shrimp and crabs are fine, but everything in a shell seems to be dying. Matter of fact I hardly see anything else with a problem. I am going to do some water tests tonight as well. Ty tested my water and saw really high nitrates, which is strange, because when I test with the strip pads it says I am in good range and when I test my API drip kit it is in good range. Shows you what those things are worth. I hope the water change will help--this stuff is nerve wracking. I am not sure what is going on. I am doing a water change right now though.

The other recent worry I have is about a toadstool leather that I have. It is shriveling on the bottom of the head and some of the polyps are turning white in patches. I have researched a little and haven't found anything really. It is one of the first things that I put in the tank and it has always been fine. Here are some pics:

Shroom_White.JPG

You see the location in the next photo. The only things reasonably close to it are the GSP and the Kenya tree, neither of which I think would hurt it.

Shroom Location.JPG

Any ideas?

I might post this in the regular build section as well as I know that you are not a soft coral guy.

Shawn,

It is possible you have multiple problems.

I will let Ty handle the nutrient problem.

What are you running your lights at? Percentage white and blue intensity? Length of photo period?

I have two arrays of LEDs One is 12x 4k-White with 2x Cool Blue the other is 14x Royal Blue. The photo period is currently

1400-1600 Ramp-up Blues 0% to 10% and Whites Off

16:00 to 18:00 Ramp-up Blues 10% to 25% and Whites 0% to 35%
18:00 to 00:00 Blues 25% and Whites 35%
00:00 to 02:00 Ramp-down Blues 25% to 10% and Whites 35% to 0%
02:00 to 04:00 Ramp-down Blues 10% to 0% and Whites Off
04:00 to 14:00 Both Off

Seems like everything is loving it. You think this is the issue?

It kind of looks like it could be lining up with a fixture, it is directly underneath the light, the blues especially.

Since I typed a nice long explination on my Ipad and it lost its marbles and froze before I could post this one maybe more direct.

Yes I believe you are running your lights at too high of an intensity. You are coming from PC bulbs to LEDs. The Leds are significantly brighter. Yes it looks like you are cooking your corals. The zoas on the frag rack on the corner slot look like they are squinting. Leathers bleaching and zoas squinting is the first sign you are bleaching your coral. Your running more photoperiod then I would starting off with LEDs. Don't feel bad we have all done it with LEDs (Bleaching). Myself included. The good thing is you caught what appears to be bleaching early. I think you are spotlighting your leather with a couple LEDs. Increasing surface agitation can help distribute the light better.

I would run the lights like this assuming you need at a minimum 10% to turn the lights on.

1400-1500 blue ramp up to 10%

1500-1600 ramp up whites to 10% and leave blues at 10%

1600-2000 whites at 10% and Blues at 10%

2000-2100 whites ramp down from 10% to 0% and Blues at 10%

2100-2200 Blues ramp down to 0%

This is what I'm seeing on the spotlighting for where your LEDs are directly above. LEDs can also shadow really bad and the shadowed areas sometimes will not grow and even die. Its more or less normal and the coral will grow how it wants to get the best light distribution.

post-3632-0-40494000-1415327716_thumb.jp

Sorry to keep posting tonight, but I just saw a peppermint shrimp flip over a conch and try and kill it... it is completely murderous! I have been blaming my hermits this whole time. I feel like I am at the end of an episode of criminal minds!

Have any of you had evil peppermint shrimps?

I certainly have, but only tearing up lps corals. I wonder if the snails are already on their way out when the shrimp go after them? Did you happen to put a bunch of snails in all at once as a cuc? They might just be dying off to the level your tank can sustain. I only had a handful of snails in my whole 90gal and it did great. Every tank is different of course, just throwing out an idea.

Let the coral adjust. It has been my experience some coral will get ugly under LEDs while they are adjusting and then get pretty again.

PATIENCE.

Turn your lights down as specified above. :)

Oh god yes to this. My tank was looking ROUGH when I first got LEDs

Reburn I didn't see your post above that told me exactly what to do when when I asked you what to do doh.gif Sorry about that and thank you for your patience! I have redone the lighting periods as you described above. I ended up figuring out what the deal with my lights now and I can get them on at 1% and ramp to 10%, so that will work. It is strange the way PAR works, ya know? Because the tank looked SO MUCH brighter to my eye when I had the original bulbs and now the LEDs at 10% look like the coral would be starving for light :)

Jim I ended up putting some seaweed rubber-banded to a small rock and a dead snail in the back of a larger net (it had just died an hour earlier, but it probably would have worked with just the seaweed). Then after about 3 or 4 min they would get curious because they are greedy and devious little buggers and come right up to the mouth of the net. Then I would slowly come in from the other net for the other side or my hand and they would jump right into the net with the seaweed and I hauled them in. Got them both in about 10 min this way. Certainly not a professional method, but got the job done. heh. :)

Jim why are you getting rid of the skunk shrimp? After doing some reading last night it seems that peppermints are known for going psycho and killing things, but I really couldn't find anything on killer blood or skunk shrimp.

Kim that is a very interesting that I hadn't thought about before. My CUC has been getting smaller and smaller. The only reason I am pretty sure they are culprits is that I watched the shrimp attack my conch, and then the conch did that little flip move that they do, and then he mounted him and started pinching him to death. I got in their just it time. heh. All that said, my water parameters are not where they need to be, so I can't be sure about anything.

Archived