Shawn's 29g Starter Tank

ShawnKoto

Congrats on the mentor program! One word of caution...when Ty puts on his lab coat and goggles and breaks out the test tubes to conduct one of his wild and crazy experiments run! ;-)

All kidding aside you've got a great mentor!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the mentor program! One word of caution...when Ty puts on his lab coat and goggles and breaks out the test tubes to conduct one of his wild and crazy experiments run! ;-)

All kidding aside you've got a great mentor!

Just don't be so willing to kill all your coral "in the name of science", as your mentor is, and you will be fine.

Shhh, don't say anything about the experiments! You'll scare Shawn away! Nothing to see here! wave.gif

Once we get the mentor page setup, we'll give it a good test run and all of those interested can come along for the ride! I'm excited for the opportunity to contribute back to the club as I have received so much great advice over the years from ARC.

But in all honesty Ty will be a great mentor for you. He has an extremely successful tank and has shown trough the tanks that he can replicate it, and can walk you through what to do and most importantly what not to do while upgrading when to time comes.

We are setting up the mentor build thread now and I think it will be up soon, but because Ty and I will be the only ones with access, I think some things I will put here as well just in case anyone wanted to give me feedback. smile.png

Last night I put together another little frag rack to get my frags up out of the sand. I thought about it for a while and wanted to think of a solution where I didn't have magnets and suction cups. So, instead, I used fishing line and it worked out really well. It took me about 10 minutes total. I cut out the egg crate in a square and tied four pieces of fishing line to it on each corner. Then weighted it down into the aquarium, pulled the various strings until it was level, and tied a knot on the strings so that it would stay level. After that, all I had to do was lower it to where I wanted in the tank and it and put a little piece of tape on the top. It is not the most sophisticated thing in the world, but it works for now without a frag tank and is a very quick and very cheap solution. smile.png

Here are some pictures :

post-3767-0-35985200-1413991550_thumb.jp

post-3767-0-16888900-1413991552_thumb.jp

post-3767-0-12137600-1413991554_thumb.jp

I have a small piece of black, electrical tape holding it to the side so you can barely see it in the picture. That was a quick solution, and I think that could be improved for sure, but it allows me to easily move it around anywhere I want with the tank very easily. I'll have to think of something. :)

Wow!! That is alot of info in mentor thread! I'm so glad you two are doing this. Shawn Im so glad you choose a Bio cube I just got my daughter one for her birthday, and we absolutley love it. I can't wait to see what you do with yours.

Can anyone help me identify these macros and corals i just put in my tank smile.png I have tried Googling :

Brown stuff:

post-3767-0-62560900-1414035766_thumb.jp

Red Stuff:

post-3767-0-20987900-1414035771_thumb.jp

Coral that I got from the swap from iJam(?):

Hard to tell without the blue light on it.

post-3767-0-07055800-1414035775_thumb.jp

The was more of a purple and orange in person instead of maroon and orange.

post-3767-0-72030300-1414035791_thumb.jp

Thanks if you can help smile.png

You're on your own for macros doh.gif

I think the first coral is a hydnophora possibly, or some type of favite.

The 2nd one looks like a lepestrea.

BTW, I charge for non-mentor advice posts. Only the one's in the mentor thread are free Shawn. spiteful.gif

Thanks Ty and Dustin. I think that you are both right in all the things that you ID'ed! rock.gif

Luckily, as Ty said before, there is no problem with any of these in the fuge, which is great. I still shouldn't have put it in there until I ID'ed it though. blush.png

Ty, you are going to have to put all of this on my tab in and out of the mentor thread :) There are going to many beers and frags coming your way you in the future.

If anyone is interested and you are not following my mentor thread, I wanted to let folks know that there is some great stuff in there and I got a great back and fourth with Ty today about DSBs (link in sig). Check it out and post here if you want :)

I have to say Hospital Tanks are awesome. I will never go without a permanent one while I am doing this hobby. I have my 10g setup with a bunch of mechanical filtration while it cycles up with the bits of live rock I put in there with the dry rock. I am also dosing copper. So, I had an ich outbreak in my tank, probably because of crappy parameters, but I am working on that! smile.png Anyway, I put my hippo int he HT, which was sitting on the sand gasping for air, and 48 hours later all the ich falls off and it is swimming around happily and eating heartily. Then, my clown came down with it as well and was covered before I knew it. Popped him in there yesterday night, and today he is clean and looking for more food.

post-3767-0-28918300-1414192752_thumb.jp

Maintaining it is not too bad. In the morning I do a quick 1/2 gallon water change and test the copper and keep it around .25 - .5. Good stuff! :)

Archived