Lessons Learned (aka Tankfucious says...)

FarmerTy

Thought this would be a fun thread for everyone to post their "lessons learned" to help future reefers avoid the same pitfalls we found ourselves in at one point in time.

Lessons Learned:

1) Buy a refractometer! Don't even allow a hydrometer in the house! Cost me some of my large SPS colonies! doh.gif

2) Dip everything! I mean everything! You have no idea how many plagues I have fought over the years due to poor dipping procedures.

3) QT is your best friend! Your whole tank population is at risk otherwise.

4) Don't leave things and say you'll get to it eventually... like a frag that fell down, or not removing that one aiptasia, or that one piece of bubble algae. You could have stopped a plague! snack.gif

5) Stock slowly! Let your system adjust to each livestock addition. All other roads lead to algae, cyano, dinos, and diatoms.

6) Reap the rewards of a stable system. Aim to have everything stable. Hitting target numbers are less important than stability.

7) Good test kits are worth it!

8) If you can keep alk stable, you are a reef master! rock.gif

9) Always have a towel within reaching distance.

10) A skimmer and a controller are my two best friends when it comes to my tank. Get technology to help, its readily available to lend you a hand.

11) Always have a backup plan when the power goes out

I think that's a good start. I'm sure everyone else has a ton of other "lessons learned" that they can share!

-Ty

Turn off your ATO during a water change.

And skimmer if your sump level goes up.

You most likely don't need to feed as much as you think you do. (Some fish are exceptions though)

Make an actual schedule for recurring tasks, maintenance, and water changes and stick to it.

Log everything. You wont remember your measurements day after day and week after week. A historic record can tell you a lot about what's going on.

Get a pair of grabbers. Fish and corals don't think your Aqua Fresh scented deorderant is as awesome as you do.

Make sure your rockwork is stable or you might break a colony, sometimes twice, and once three times..ahem *cough*

If you epoxy corals to your live rock, one drop of super gel before attaching it to the plug and one before touching the rock will keep it in place while it cures underwater.

Damsels are evil personified. Never put them in your tank. Ever.

Never leave a hose unattended when doing a water change. 5 gallons on the floor is a LOT more than 5 gallons in a bucket.

Make sure you have siphon breaks on your returns, in case of power outage. No shop vac can handle 20 gallons of water on the floor. I know this for a fact.

Controllers are a gift from above. Get one, use it, make reefing easier.

That cute little crab you saw?..............he will eat all of your corals, and you will destroy your tank trying to get him out. should have gotten him when you had the chance!

Lessons Learned:

1) Buy a refractometer! Don't even allow a hydrometer in the house! Cost me some of my large SPS colonies! doh.gif

Ha! It's the very first thing I just told a friend to get who is setting up a new tank. I didn't get one until a few months into mine and when I did, found out my salinity was at 1.033 - amazingly nothing died, not even the clownfish up there next to my name. ;)

If I could start over, I'd start with dry rock...avoiding the polyclad flatworm and fireworm hell would've been nice.

Rubber gloves - buy a box of the thick latex type and always put them on when you're working in your tank.

Don't heed anybody's advice until you see their handywork. Everybody has an opinion, make sure you follow the correct one.

That almost sound like something from a fortune cookie.

Tankfucious says...

Don't heed anybody's advice until you see their handywork. Everybody has an opinion, make sure you follow the correct one.

That almost sound like something from a fortune cookie.

Tankfucious says...

Do as I say, not as I do. That's something I learned long ago. Some people tell you one thing and do another or pretend to be an expert. I see it often. Me? Online I'm tall, handsome, and I sing well too.

Verify! I've seen hydrometers more accurate than refractometers. I've seen cheap test kits give consistent results when expensive ones varied

Don't assume that something that worked in one tank will work in a second tank.

What does the science say. Many Acropora species live in mutually exclusive habitats in nature but often are lumped together as "SPS" needing the same requirements. Water quality can be maintained without pumps or skimming.

Such great advice Ty! Had someone new to the hobby come by to pick up some corals and he asked me "Whats the MOST important thing I monitor and do to maintain my tank" and I was honestly stumped for a second, haha. Will definitely have to send them this thread since you pretty much summed it up so perfectly!! smile.png

Don't add anything new to your tank a week before going on vacation and definitely not 4 days before...cough ahem. If it dies while you're away, it might take a bunch 'o stuff with it.

Tankfucious says... keep your electronics/cables off the ground and if possible, with a drip loop. We play with boxes full of water and electricity, caution should be taken when possible. We wouldn't want to accidentally fry that expensive Apex you own or the controller to your LEDs.

Tankfucious says... keep your electronics/cables off the ground and if possible, with a drip loop. We play with boxes full of water and electricity, caution should be taken when possible. We wouldn't want to accidentally fry that expensive Apex you own or the controller to your LEDs.

Or yourself

Tankfucious says.... keep a towel handy when you reach into the tank so you don't drip saltwater on the carpet on your way to find one.

Wise Tankfucious says...make sure the towel in question isn't one of the "super frilly, not for actual use but for display in the guest bathroom only towels" so your significant other doesn't destroy you.

Tankfucious says.... keep a towel handy when you reach into the tank so you don't drip saltwater on the carpet on your way to find one.

Wise Tankfucious says...make sure the towel in question isn't one of the "super frilly, not for actual use but for display in the guest bathroom only towels" so your significant other doesn't destroy you.

Don't add anything new to your tank a week before going on vacation and definitely not 4 days before...cough ahem. If it dies while you're away, it might take a bunch 'o stuff with it.

Mlaw, I wonder how many of us have suffered our spouses wrath for using the good bath and hand towels for tank maintenance. Lord knows I have.

Wade, agreed, and guilty. Nothing bad yet but I'm not pressing my luck any further

Don't assume all corals can be dipped. I just learned last week that gorgonians like sea whips should not be exposed to air. This is likely why the ones I added to my tank 4 days before going on vacation (they were back ordered and showed up without notification) died and took several SPS with them. BTW, thanks for the tip Mark Callahan:)

Tankfucious says... when putting loose frags in the sand that you acquired from C4, give them more than an 1" of space apart or your frags will touch and you will cry. doh.gif

Archived