110 gal money pit.....

Veni Vidi Vici

Hi all,

Going to be building a 110 gal reef tank . The tank dimentions are 48"x24"x22". I plan on drilling it and doing a Herbie or Beananimal overflow going into a 75 gal sump / rufugium. I havent decieded if I want to do a coast to coast overflow or go with something smaller to work with the rock/foam wall I already have from a previous build,but ill figure that out as I go. Also going to be drilling for a closed loop and useing a Reeflo Dart for the pump because i have it already along with the manifold for the return lines,however i will have to modify it to fit a 48"x24" tank.

post-3571-0-79424200-1394382019_thumb.jp

For my sump/refugium ill probably just go 3 compartments,1~ will have my MSX160 Skimmer, bubble trap.~2 Im considering planted refugium with deep sand bed but im leaning more toward cheato and more live rock ,controller probes ,bubble trap, 3~ heaters ,dosing lines,return pump.

My lighting for now is going to be metal halide,since i have 3-250 w ballast and mogal fixtures. I was considering LED, but for now I think ill take that money and invest in a controller system and dosing pumps.

And finally my stand and hood. Being that im a carpenter/timberframer ill have to see what I can come up with. Im thinking that the base and hood will be about 48" long but ill definitly be building it taller so you dont have to bed over to look into the tank.Im thinking two tall thin cabinets from floor to top of hood on either side to store controller,dosing pumps,testing eqip.......

Here I go ...Cha Ching!

I cant pick up the tank until next week end because im going out of town fo work ...with timberframing comes travel. I have however have gotten started.

post-3571-0-33152100-1394377777_thumb.jp

Started cleaning up pumps and things.

post-3571-0-06232500-1394381395_thumb.jp

post-3571-0-80363000-1394381465_thumb.jp

post-3571-0-98576100-1394381489_thumb.jp

Im going to try to make up enough water before I leave to start cycling my formerly live,dead rock before i leave tommorrow.

post-3571-0-10199800-1394381621_thumb.jp

Thats it for now,

Thanks for lookin,

Todd

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curing rock smells bad, right? Good idea to set it up and leave town. Although, if your wife stays home, I'm nt sure where you'd be sleeping when you come back. Your tank is too small :).

Im on my way to pick up material for my base . So before i start cutting im asking for thoughts or suggestions.

I have the design figured, my indecision is on stand height. I dont like short stands and I want space underneath the display tank for a 75 gal sump/fuge and to be able to get my skimmer in and out, so i was thinking somewhere in the area of 42". That puts the top of my display tank at 5'7" and leaves me a couple of feet for the canopy.

My stand is 40" tall and the dimensions on my tank are 72x24x28". I think it is just the perfect height and I have a 65-gallon sump underneath with plenty of room to mess with things. I am not the tallest guy in the world though so your stand height being at 42" may be perfect.

My stand is 40" tall and the dimensions on my tank are 72x24x28". I think it is just the perfect height and I have a 65-gallon sump underneath with plenty of room to mess with things. I am not the tallest guy in the world though so your stand height being at 42" may be perfect.

I just finished framing the bare bones and ill agree.I like the height alot.

Congrats on the new tank the dimensions of the 120 are great!!! 40-42" should be a great height for the stand, that will give you plenty of room underneath for skimmer and accessories. Looking good, looking forward to watching this come together!

Congrats on the new tank the dimensions of the 120 are great!!! 40-42" should be a great height for the stand, that will give you plenty of room underneath for skimmer and accessories. Looking good, looking forward to watching this come together!

Thanks Rob,

Ill probably end up putting the 75 gal and my skimmer underneath next weekend when i get back in town to see if I am going to need to build the side cabinets or not . I really dont want to block off the side views if I dont have to.

You could also add access from the sides to get the sump in and out if you ever need to.

The sides will definitely be my preferred point of egress . If i dont end up building the side cabinets i would like to have a door on one side to install my DJ power bars and a access door on the other side.Im hoping i have enough room .

SO..... i shot my self in the foot.I wasnt paying attention when i built the stand and im about 1/4" shy in between my support posts of being the width i need to fit my 75 gal underneath for my refugium so I had to decide if I wanted to remodel or downsize. And I decided to downsize the sump/fuge to the biggest vessel i can fit underneath.I posted on another forum in their trade section and we will see what pops up or ill just have to purchase something and build.

I also just realized that I left both of my trim guns in my tool trailer in San Sabadoh.gif . So.....Im gonna have to start making a few calls and see whos gonna lend me a gun. Im going to head out and and at the very least ,pick up most of my material today and hopefully get this build moving forward.

Ill also be ordering some 1" bulkheads today as well so I can get the Bean Animal moving too.

Archived