110 gal money pit.....

Veni Vidi Vici

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So as im leaving the wood butchering phase of my build and entering the plumbing phase ,im naturally thinking about the lighting phasebye.gif .

I am using 250w metal halides .I have 3 ballasts,2~ Hamilton Magnetic M58 and 1~ Galaxy Electronic

Im thinking of going M58 on one side and Electronic on the other just to see.......

Then maybe the other over the sump/fuge/frag tank.

Anyway, any thoughts on supplementary lighting? I was thinking possibly LED

So as im leaving the wood butchering phase of my build and entering the plumbing phase ,im naturally thinking about the lighting phasebye.gif .

I am using 250w metal halides .I have 3 ballasts,2~ Hamilton Magnetic M58 and 1~ Galaxy Electronic

Im thinking of going M58 on one side and Electronic on the other just to see.......

Then maybe the other over the sump/fuge/frag tank.

Anyway, any thoughts on supplementary lighting? I was thinking possibly LED

And the LED question pops up. I run straight LEDs on my tank and I very happy. What type of supplemental lighting are you thinking about. There are a lot of options out there if you just want to add some simple LEDs for color. I used to use stunnner strips that were easy to mount and they have a lot of color options. If you want to add LEDs for actual corals you can go with a couple of small BuildMyLED fixtures.

I was thinking along the lines of dust, dawn, and moon lighting when my halide aren't burning. I would like a fixture or retro kit that (A) fit's inside my canopy with my mh's (B) I could use over my refugium later if I decided to switch over to LED's. Programmable would be nice as well.

Made some progress this weekend.... Finally!

Drilled holes for coast to coast overflow and closed loop.

20140413_145548.jpg

and almost finished stand and canopy. Still need to hang doors but im going to wait until plumbing is done.

20140413_203132.jpg

20140413_203411.jpg

Next week I need to paint back of tank black and do the plumbing.

• 3 weeks later...

This build is huge. Following along. Can't wait to see where it goes

im gonna hop on this bandwagon too. Have to follow the work of a master craftsmen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words grin.png

Mental note to self....... Never grab a 90 out of the bin that says 1-1/2" and assume it is 1-1/2" .....always check to make sure the gasket is in the Union your about to purchase and last but not least, always remember to grab material list off kitchen table so you dont have to rely on fading memory and forget one 1-1/2" Tee.

Anyway I didnt finish but im danm close.

20140501_212900.jpg

I have a 3/4" hose coming off return to make water changes quick.

Wow that's an awesome idea on the plumbing. Something like that could virtually eliminate the need for powerheads entirely.

Are those penducters? Plumbing looks great! Happy birthday by the way!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

No Ty ,just nozzles. I was considering useing penducters but i would like to get some feed back before I purchase .

Thanks...it sucks getting old.

Wow that's an awesome idea on the plumbing. Something like that could virtually eliminate the need for powerheads entirely.

Yes it does Bpb.... it worked great on my 125. I had no power heads in tank and massive random flow.

Archived