KimP's in-wall room divider build

KimP

I got a picture of the eel. He's been out a lot lately and it's really fun!

post-1781-0-98755900-1422241116_thumb.jp

The hidden cup corals are happy! I've had these since my first saltwater tank at least 5 years ago.

post-1781-0-34047900-1422241292_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Lookin good! Sorry about the Lps have you tried target feeding? Not sure if he's active anymore but "migs" lives right by you and he's officially a pro at saving scolys. Also have you considered dialing the lights back a little bit while things are unhappy? When I moved my acans into high light they kinda shriveled up like that too. They also got more flow as well though so not to say it was just light. Looks like we're Gona have to set you up with more sps :D

• Like 1

Kim, sorry to hear about the over feeding incident. Hope things turn out. I too just lost some 2+ year old acans which fell (or should I say we're *pushed* by Mr. Tuxedo) from their post into one of Pat's recovering frogspawn. The euphyllia won the ensuing battle.

Great to see how well you've done with this new setup. It looks great!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kim, sorry to hear about the over feeding incident. Hope things turn out. I too just lost some 2+ year old acans which fell (or should I say we're *pushed* by Mr. Tuxedo) from their post into one of Pat's recovering frogspawn. The euphyllia won the ensuing battle.

Great to see how well you've done with this new setup. It looks great!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yikes, sorry to hear they lost that battle! Thanks for the compliments on the tank. I'm really happy with it so far!

I decided to test salinity yesterday and found it close to 40 doh.gif Oops... I get lazy about testing it with the ATO. I'm pretty impressed with how few corals appear affected by the high salinity and wondering if getting it back down to 35 will help out the acans.

A couple things have happened with my tank the past few days. I noticed all of a sudden most of my aiptasia are gone!!! Finally! I put in 10 berghia plus eggs quite a while ago and haven't noticed a single missing aiptasia, and hadn't seen the berghia since. I had aiptasia everywhere, tons of tiny ones and many big ones. Now I only have a patch of them right where the flow is the highest coming out of the closed loop. I thought I better try catching some berghia and passing them on before they run out of food. I got a red light, put the fish to sleep early, and turned off the closed loop pump for the night. I still have decent flow from the return pumps. Several times during the night and early morning I sat and looked and looked for some berghia and never saw a single one!! Not sure what to make of it. And I still have the aiptasia in my sump. So I'm wondering if the filefish finally started showing some interest in the aiptasia, or maybe it's just a passing phase like diatoms or gha. Not sure yet. Maybe they don't like the higher light? I haven't seen the filefish picking at any. So I'll keep watching and try to catch something eating them. In the end, it doesn't matter, they're almost gone!! Yay hyper.gif

Today Timfish came by and we redid the bottom panel in the canopy. I have a kessil in each corner, then I had the 5th one to the side, in the middle, just past the center brace. Having that one towards the middle made a big shadow. So we made a new bottom and cut that hole further to the side, and made the hole for the 6th one even on the other side. The difference in the tank is amazing! It makes much more of a difference in the tank than I thought it would. I'm thrilled with the result. I was also able to turn the intensity down overall. I will need to move a few corals into shadier areas, but I have tons of shady spots that can use some color. I'm looking forward to being ready for some highter light loving SPS.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. My acans are all back to looking healthy! I'm still siphoning out some patches of gha during my weekly water change. The foxface keeps most of the algae in check though. What a great utility fish he's been! Today I'll be removing all my macro and switching to a cryptic sump. That's what I had planned to do originally but ended up moving over my macro and a light from the old tank. Now I'll just have the light come on when I open the stand. I have an apex break out box that I need to figure out how to use. I also set up my bubble magus doser a few days ago and have been getting that all set up. It's so awesome to not have to dose alk every day!! I can't wait till it's dialed in. For now I'm testing alk every day.

I also got carbon running now in a reactor. Any idea what the flow should be through the reactor?

Quick update. My acans are all back to looking healthy! I'm still siphoning out some patches of gha during my weekly water change. The foxface keeps most of the algae in check though. What a great utility fish he's been! Today I'll be removing all my macro and switching to a cryptic sump. That's what I had planned to do originally but ended up moving over my macro and a light from the old tank. Now I'll just have the light come on when I open the stand. I have an apex break out box that I need to figure out how to use. I also set up my bubble magus doser a few days ago and have been getting that all set up. It's so awesome to not have to dose alk every day!! I can't wait till it's dialed in. For now I'm testing alk every day.

I also got carbon running now in a reactor. Any idea what the flow should be through the reactor?

Slow and low. Contact time = success with carbon.

• Like 1

I run a dual BRS reactor with foam pads to hold the carbon in place. I have an mj1200 running it, the flow is slow because it has to go through the GFO first.

ckyuv a 90 gallon equals about a 1/2 cup to maybe a cup depending on what type of carbon you are using. I just switched to BRS Rox carbon so I will be using a cup at best