KimP's in-wall room divider build

KimP

The stain matching the doors doesn't look too bad after all. Today I'll be working on the top of the stand. Then I'll need to stain it and the canopy. Now if it would just warm up and not be so humid...

post-1781-0-29874600-1425150371_thumb.jp

• Like 2

That looks great Kim! You're so crazy handy, it's awesome!

Thanks :) I wouldn't call myself handy with staining though. I did it very reluctantly, and had to get a big push from Tim to finally do it! He got the color close enough I felt I could get there with it.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on the forums in a while. I reviewed all 7 of your youtube videos. You are my hero!! I'm so amazed and impressed with the amount of planning, preparation, and DIY work you've put into this build. Truly inspiring!

Great work!

• Like 3

I haven't been on the forums in a while. I reviewed all 7 of your youtube videos. You are my hero!! I'm so amazed and impressed with the amount of planning, preparation, and DIY work you've put into this build. Truly inspiring!

Great work!

Wow, thanks :) It's been a lot of work and I've had help, and I'm so thrilled with how it's coming together. Glad to see you around!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally back to working on the stand after having landscaping and out of town company distracting me. Got the canopy stained and the boards for the stand top. There's still a bit of work to do before the top is put on though. And I need to texture and paint the other side of the stand. In other news, the doser has been one of my best investments yet. Been keeping my alk really stable with almost no work on my part. Really enjoying that. Corals look good and I'm ready to stock, finally!! My tassled filefish died yesterday morning. That was such a bummer. I'm still sad and frustrated about it. I had the canopy down for 3 days prior, so the tank was dark during that time. So I don't know if he was showing any symptoms prior to passing. He didn't have any spots or fuzzy areas, or red gills, or anything so I'm stumped. Lost an urchin too but I'm hoping it was just a coincidence. I run lots of carbon and all the other fish and coral appear healthy. Someday I'll need to look at my fish and decide what to add to replace him.

post-1781-0-84867200-1429063001_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-20948200-1429063005_thumb.jp

NOOOOOO!!!! Not the tassled filefish!!! Sorry for the loss Kim!

I know, so sad :( I don't want to kill another one though, so I'll have to find another cool fish to be my main one, someday. I wish I knew what happened.

That breaks my heart Kim! I know you loved those fish!

Too bad we don't have a FDI (Fish Deaths Investigations) department in Austin!

I'd get an emperor angel as a center piece... you can show the kids how it eats all the LPS in your tank. It's just nature guys!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Alright, finally an update! Short story: got pregnant, did what I could with the tank but mostly left the inside of the tank alone, my favorite fish died, I finished the stand, had the baby, went to the frag swap to add my first corals in a year.

Longer story: Not too eventful since my last post. Things went surprisingly well while I was busy with life. Alk has stayed very very stable for many months at 145-150 with the doser I got dialed in, so I decided with the frag swap coming that it was time to stock up. I tried to stick with the types of corals that have done well over the past couple months. Mushrooms, sps, acans, scoly, etc. Unfortunately my chalices have been going downhill for the past few months, so I resisted getting any of those. My next task is to add some fish. I'll be looking for advice on this.

Now for the pics. The new corals aren't in their permanent spots yet and I'll be pulling out nearly all the xenia, but if I keep waiting to post pics for when the tank looks better, it'll never happen [emoji6]

post-1781-144522144498_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522145427_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522146806_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522148149_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522149566_thumb.jpg

post-1781-14452215086_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522152229_thumb.jpg

post-1781-14452215372_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522155438_thumb.jpg

post-1781-14452215718_thumb.jpg

Some of the frags I picked up at the swap

post-1781-144522158854_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522161609_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522163291_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522165488_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522167489_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522168982_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522170477_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522172525_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522174419_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522176254_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144522177906_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The fish I have now are:

Dwarf Morey eel

Foxface

Yellow wrasse

Springer's damsel

Royal gramma

Red lined wrasse

A little tiny clear goby added from my pico

Yellow watchmen goby

Inverts:

2 urchins

2 fighting conchs

2 turbo snails

1 bigger hermit and possibly a couple smaller

A few smaller snails

So the tank is 4 feet long, 2.5 feet wide for 151 gallons. I can't decide what fish to add next. I loved the tassled filefish but I don't want to kill another, same with yellow eye kole tangs. I tried 3 of those in my last tank (one at a time, in my 90gal) and lost each one within a few days, even the one from divers den. So maybe a tang just isn't in the cards for me. I'm thinking maybe some anthias? I'd love any input. I've had all of my current fish for at least a year, several I've had for a few years, so I hope the deaths I've had aren't due to my caretaking abilities. I'll post a separate thread about the fish too, to get more input.

post-1781-144544781697_thumb.jpeg

I just got some of this Chemipure Blue to try out. One container says it treats 75 gal, so I'd need 2 but I'm going to start out with one and watch my phosphates and the tank and if all goes well I'll add the other in 2 or 3 weeks. Then when it comes time to swap them out it'll be staggered and not hit the system too hard. Says it lasts 4 months. That'd be nice. I'm going to toss it in the sump first and eventually move it to the carbon reactor since I won't need to be running it with carbon anymore.

Time to test the phosphates, then toss it in!

• Like 2

Tank looks good! Sorry to hear about the filefish he was sweet! Have you thought about a yellow tang? I've never had much luck with other tangs but I still have a yellow tang I got at that petco on Brodie when I lived down there.

• Like 1

Tank looks good! Sorry to hear about the filefish he was sweet! Have you thought about a yellow tang? I've never had much luck with other tangs but I still have a yellow tang I got at that petco on Brodie when I lived down there.

Thank you, it's coming along! I have thought about it. I have a yellow wrasse and the foxface already, so it'd be another yellow fish.

Last night I got a break to work on my tank. I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. I removed all the xenia I was able to, but there's still plenty left. Glued down several more frags, added a rock and put back in one of my cerameco frag racks that I had pulled out a long time ago to get rid of fairy dust palys growing on it. I have a few more corals left to place and I'm trying to figure out where they fit in as far as colors go. Next on my list is to get rocks to replace the ones on top of one of my rock piles. The 2 top rocks are covered in fairy dust palys and I'm ready to replace them with corals I like better.

I got out the Salty Zapper I bought at the swap and that thing is fun to use! Really easy too. I hit several aptasia and tried it on a spot of xenia and fairy dust palys. I'm going to watch and see if it works on them. Can't imagine it wouldn't though. I'm happy with the purchase so far!

Here are a couple of pictures I took at night. I'm uploading a video right now, so Ty will be happy if he sees this [emoji6]

post-1781-144562542518_thumb.jpg

post-1781-144562543644_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

First video taken a couple days ago, during the day, pre-xenia massacre removal. In both videos I was holding a wiggly baby so try to ignore the shakiness.

Second video taken last night

• Like 2