210g Dream Tank

Mlaw

I was lured into Saltwater aquariums a few years ago when we bought a house that had a 130 gallon tank built into a wall. The house was a foreclosure and the tank hadn't been attended to in months so it was a disaster but it was built in, what else were we going to do but start over?

I did, and it was a disaster. The original builder had no clue what he was doing and left me no room and we had a small electrical fire. 2 years later I have it up and running and while it is nice I am constantly having to fight it to make things work.

Recently I came into possession of a 210 gallon tank with two holes drilled in the bottom. The current plan is to gut a built in stereo cabinet that the prior owner built and convert it into a built in tank. It won't be built into a wall but it will have that look. Then we'll drain the old tank and pull it out.

I'll have pictures up soon/eventually. This is a long term project that will take forever to complete because I have kids, a crazy busy job and my wife isn't 100% on board.

What I need up front is some ideas of what I'm going to need.

The plan is to have a mixed tank of fish, some corals and anemones. The main focus will be on the fish and the anemones. The corals are just there for fun and I'm not interested in anything really difficult.

I'm looking to do this "right" the first time. The goals are:

1. Easy maintenance

2. Room to grow

3. Mistake/spill/leak resistant (I spill a ton of water on the carpet and my wife will kill me and that will be the end of this experiment)

4. Automation (did I mention that I'm busy? I need this thing to be as self sustaining as possible.)

I'm looking for some early input. I've been reviewing others builds attempting to learn from mistakes and appropriate good ideas.

Current tank has the following that will be transferred over:

1. Foxface Rabbit approx 4-5 inches

2. Hippo Tang approx 4-5 inches

3. 2 clowns

4. 2 pajama cardinals

5. 1 fire fish

6. melanarus wrasse approx 3 inches

7. Orange back fairy wrasse approx 3 inches

8. Halloween urchin

A green BTA and an orange with green disc BTA that are not in the same tank with the fish listed above

will be added from my smaller tank after the 210 has been established for 6+ months. Then the plan is to start looking for more exotic BTAs to add.

Planning on adding more fish. Thinking

emperor angel

and a few more wrasses

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at your current setup and see what you don't like and/or would do different and do that. smile.png

Looking at other builds will help. Having a planned stocking idea, as you have mentioned, will help a lot.

Easy maintenance to my mind means low bio stocking, heavy biofiltration, and easy to care for critters. Which based on your stocking idea, sounds like you are shooting for. (Edit: you edited your stock list after I replied. I still think you have easy to care for critters but as Patrick mentioned, you'll need some nutrient export with all that waste.)

Spills are part of it, no way around it. Just be careful.

Automation is easy with controllers. Not cheap, but easy to implement.

Your fish choices will require aggressive nutrient export or efficient nutrient recycling . I never agreed with the EPA motto that "dilution is the solution to pollution". I like macro algae filtration for aggressive nutrient recycling. I also use display quality macro algae to recycle nutrients and feed the fish. If your stand allows for it, include the largest macro refugium that you can fit under your tank. With the macro filter, I like a mud filter to grow micro fauna and fana. The micro inverts and worms will feed any filter feeders in your tank. The pods that inhabit the macro filter will feed all of the fish that you mentioned.

I always focus on the bottom of the food chain for long term health of our enclosed ecosystems.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Guess I should have added a list of equipment currently owned and what I'm planning on adding.

The stand is fairly tall, but not incredibly long. Limits what I can use for a sump. I currently have a 50 gallon freshwater tank that I'll probably convert into a sump.

I purchased a GSM 4 protein skimmer for JeeperTy to handle my skimming needs. Whatever space that monster doesn't take up will be a fuge.

I have 2 smallish UV filters currently in use that I'll move over on the return line of the sump, or I'll sell them off and buy a bigger one.

I have some LEDs that meet my current FOWLR needs in the old tank but I'm thinking about investing in some build my led lights. Again do it right on the dream tank.

I currently have one Jaebow 40 but will probably add another few.

I have an apex jr. that I haven't hooked up but will. It has the temp prob but that's about it. I know nothing about them so will be hitting everyone up for info.

Sounds like a great start to a great build thread! I'm always impressed with in-wall tanks.

I could give you some unsolicited advice, but there's never a shortage of that. I probably couldn't tell you anything that you don't already know anyway. if I were setting up a dream tank again, then there are are few things I would do differently. I would drill all of my rocks comfortably inside tank before putting water in. A good solid structure that allows decent movement is the foundation for a good tank. Plus you won't topple your rocks and break your acros like I did once twice. I also wish that I had gone with my first lighting choice from the start. I tried to save $50 and now I'm upgrading less than a year later.

Good luck and have fun!!!

I'm working with about 52 inches side to side of clearance so I'm not sure I can get a 75 in there. I'd love to take the 120 that I have and make it the sump but that's not going to happen.

Edit:

just realized that a 55, 75 and 90 gallon tank all have the same basic footprint. I have a 55 that I have promised the wife will go down when the new tank comes on line....wonder if I found a 75 or 90 if she'd let me keep it......

Guess I should have added a list of equipment currently owned and what I'm planning on adding.

The stand is fairly tall, but not incredibly long. Limits what I can use for a sump. I currently have a 50 gallon freshwater tank that I'll probably convert into a sump.

I purchased a GSM 4 protein skimmer for JeeperTy to handle my skimming needs. Whatever space that monster doesn't take up will be a fuge.

I have 2 smallish UV filters currently in use that I'll move over on the return line of the sump, or I'll sell them off and buy a bigger one.

I have some LEDs that meet my current FOWLR needs in the old tank but I'm thinking about investing in some build my led lights. Again do it right on the dream tank.

I currently have one Jaebow 40 but will probably add another few.

I have an apex jr. that I haven't hooked up but will. It has the temp prob but that's about it. I know nothing about them so will be hitting everyone up for info.

So the apex is a good start on the automation. Like I said when I dropped it off, the Jr can have up to 5 more modules added so you can add a ph probe and modules for you BML lights and variable speed pumps. You can add an additional energy bar 8 which you will need. So even though it is a Jr., there is til plentyy that can be done to it. Sure you could put out the money for the Apex or the Lite but if money is an initial concern this is a good way to slowly add what you need. It may cost a little more but in the grand scheme not much more.

The ASM G4 is a good skimmer. I had good luck wet skimming with it for many years.

I would say that you need at least two WP-40's and possibly up to four for a tank this size. I upped my in-tank circulation to 35x and find it to be good enough to keep everything happy.

This is the area the tank is going into. It was some kind of stereo cabinet/built in Tv stand that the last owner built. We aren't using it for anything really.

1912543_10203141432997286_1912782267_n.j

These are the speakers that I was storing in there.

1098264_10203141433037287_458290521_n.jp

Here we are with some of the insides exposed.

1779793_10203141435397346_1756762097_n.j

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is in the front yard being cleaned up

1902939_10203254305499028_1783476280_n.j

1904120_10203254308699108_639586052_n.jp

got the back painted black

1970669_10203254303738984_1815576526_n.j

I had lots of help

1476406_10203254310059142_475516576_n.jp

didn't realize that it had two holes drilled on this side until I started cleaning.

10007449_10203254310499153_1411028364_n.

Here is where it is going

10002983_10203254311019166_2053889653_n.

RO/DI system ordered from BRS. bulk heads too. Can't wait to start playing with the plumbing.

Glass for sump will be picked up some time this week. Pictures soon.

RO/DI arrived and looks good. I may have some questions for the group about that but was super disappointed in my bulkheads. It's my fault. I should have read more before I ordered but I assumed that if I had a 1.5" hole I should order a 1.5" bulkhead. Imagine my surprise when the monster bulkhead that requires a 2 1/4 inch hole shows up. Oops. reorder time.

Here it is on the stand. Wasn't as bad to put it up there as I expected. You can also see the sump area below with the 55 tank waiting to be cleaned and turned into a sump. I'll get some custom glass cut to make the baffles later this week or early next week. I know a guy that has a glass company and they often have pieces left over. He's offered to cut them to size and polish the edges so I don't kill myself on sharp edges.

I'm also thinking about seeing what it would cost to have one of his guys come over and polish the front pane inside and out. I know they use special tools to do it and now is the time to do it if at all. The scratches aren't bad but they could be annoying. I'll let you all know what the charge would be.

1236441_10203292061042893_160207032_n.jp

It has three 1.5 inch holes 2 on one side and 1 on the other. The two that are on the sme side are very close to one another and was planning to cap one but now I'm thinking about using all three just running a pipe under the sand and then up. Each will have a Maggie muffler. I'll then place rocks up each pipe to hide them.

For the sump I'm going to keep it simple and have all three overflows feed into one pipe. That will dump into one end of the sump. It will also have a branch that drops into the other side which will be the fuge. Bunch of live rock and a massive skimmer. Return will go up the side and dump in through a store bought return nozzle.

Archived