Have microscope, will dabble

FloridaBoy

I was bored tonight, so I dusted off the microscope, grabbed a pipette, and started playing. As I have not cleaned the glass for a few days, I decided to investigate the teeny tiny itty bitty white spots on the glass.

post-3413-0-46370500-1392866583_thumb.jp Spots

post-3413-0-76963200-1392866612_thumb.jp Some are Hydroid Jellyfish

post-3413-0-31348700-1392866666_thumb.jp Some are Copepods

What's that stuff on my Macro?

post-3413-0-77239300-1392866730_thumb.jp Film / dust on Sargassum

post-3413-0-26538500-1392866767_thumb.jp Film Close Up - I think I know where my Ca is going! Looks like mineral crystal of some type.

Sucked up some gunk from my filter floss:

post-3413-0-00726800-1392866790_thumb.jp It Moves! Diatoms, Rotifers, Chlorophyta, Phaeophyta, ...

Nice. I have a loupe that I look at pods, snails, and worms on the glass with which works really well, but can't hook it up to a camera. The hydriod looks awesome.

Even at 10x it's pretty amazing what life you'll see in SW or FW tanks.

Most were taken at 20X and 40X power. Was too lazy to get the oil out for the 100X objective. Got a few cool video's that I might post later. I was using the very precise method of focusing, then holding my iPhone up to the eyepiece to take the picture LOL! If I play with it much more, I'll have to make an adapter to fit over the eyepiece as it was very hard to hold the phone exactly right to get the picture. But I had fun grin.png

As a long term experiment I'm going to put a slide in the tank for several weeks where I hope to get a bacterial mat and some coraline algae to grow on it. That will look pretty cool under the scope I think. Probably have to dig out some stains to see everything.

• Like 1

Outstanding pictures. The picture with the calcium dust on macro leaf is precisely the point of nutrient uptake by macro algae. While most macro is 15% nitrogen and 1% phosphate, the bulk of the uptake is calcium and magnesium. I recently begin using a kelp concentrate which has calcium, magnesium in the same ratio as nitrogen, iron and other micro nutrients used by macro algae.

Keep the pictures coming. Very nice.

Patrick

Most were taken at 20X and 40X power. Was too lazy to get the oil out for the 100X objective. Got a few cool video's that I might post later. I was using the very precise method of focusing, then holding my iPhone up to the eyepiece to take the picture LOL! If I play with it much more, I'll have to make an adapter to fit over the eyepiece as it was very hard to hold the phone exactly right to get the picture. But I had fun grin.png

As a long term experiment I'm going to put a slide in the tank for several weeks where I hope to get a bacterial mat and some coraline algae to grow on it. That will look pretty cool under the scope I think. Probably have to dig out some stains to see everything.

grin.png That is the same method I use for capturing pictures from my telescope! punk.gif