125 Gallon upgrade build Pictures added

haze152

Well Everything is going good in my 75 Gallon so now its time to upgrade. I am going to do a reef ready 125 gallon DIY Stand and canopy.

I am going to do a floating attached canopy. The black part is going to be wood with tile attached.
This time I am going to an open aquascape with the 130lbs of live rock I have in my current tank.

Equipment List
3x 250W MH
4 T5's
1 Wp40
2 Wp25
Sump 30 gallon long
Skimmer Bubble Magus Curve 7 In Sump Needle
Dual Brs Reactor
Dual Brs Dosing pumps
Reef Kepper controller
return Pump
Mag-Drive Supreme 12

125g_zpsda2c29fc.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I started on the canopy today and ran into a little problem. I want to make the canopy adjustable my original plan did not include the tile wall. I was just going to run 2x4 on a swing arm so I could raise canopy if needed. With the wall in place I am going to have to figure out another way to adjust.

Can you not put hinges on the top back of the canopy against the wall so that you can at least angle it up as hood on a car, and then use a pole to hold it in place while you need it up? I do that with my canopy and it works fine for what I need it to.

I used a piano hinge on mine, but I suspect you will need a heavier duty hinge since yours is a floating design. Maybe door hinges or gate hinges, something that can handle the weight better... You will need to find good anchor studs in the wall.

I don't know much, even what RTN is, but someone will probably ask about your water parameters to rule that out before getting drastic.

If you get drastic, I think you could let the rock dry out, or bake it, and start over without buying new.

Now I don't know what I should do. My sps seem to keep RTNing on me. The question I have is do I keep the 140 lbs of live rock?

Can you give more detail? Has your alk level been stable? There's a number of things that can cause RTN but they all boil down to stress. Alk swings, new lights, contamination, etc.

Archived