FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Aw sweet. I was wondering because he seemed so tame from Day 1 Travis. He followed me around and seemed to stare at me... trying to will me to feed him.

Coolest part about him is his eyes function independently of each other, kind of like a chameleon.

Did he have a name Travis? Like to keep him named the same if he did. My wife would enjoy that as she names them all.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol. He actually does. My wife gives them names as well. His name is Rambo. Dude is tough like Rambo and his colors and patterns change up a lot. The tessellate took him down to his hole 1 time. I thought he was toast, but he swam out like it was nothing. I was pretty upset, but it ended up being pretty awesome. Rambo is a machine....

Wife thought he was the ugliest thing ever, but he grew on her as well. Ended up being one of our favorites. I remember the 1st time I ever saw one was when Rory was breaking down his smaller tank. I was like what the heck is that ugly thing over there. Rory told me that he grows on you, and he was right.

I guess this is how the powder blue keeps its beautiful color...

20140131_220102_zpsjkzpnirc.jpg

By devouring Tubbs blue zoas! Helps keep its color nice and blue I guess.

Notice it didnt touch any of the cyan colored zoas or any others in my frag tank. It has expensive tastes for sure!

Maybe I can put some fruit loop zoas in there and have some fun with the fish!

Got some tang macro algae snacks from Subsea today (thanks Patrick!). My first experiment in macro algae preference...

20140203_171507_zpsysdy8jv5.jpg

Both specimens remained untouched by both the blonde naso and the powder blue in the new tank. The good thing at least is they both enjoy nori.

In the old tank however, the foxface and yellow tang were keenly interested in the ulva and the sailfin devoured the feather caulerpa with glee.

Well, the macro experiment ended very quickly. It was mainly trying to tempt my new powder blue tang but he wouldn't have it. I'll feed the rest of it out and be done with it for now.

Quick updates:

1) Some of my SPS have been STN'ing for some unknown reason in the old tank (all parameters in normal ranges). Not very quickly but it is still happening.

2) Starting moving some more SPS colonies over to the new tank. Figured it can't get worse so might as well move them and hope for the best.

3) Rambo, the awesome filefish, was evicted from the tank after I realized he was the one who ate all my Tubb's blue zoas and not the powder blue I suspected. Sad because he was one of the cooler fish but I'm a coral guy, not a fish guy, so out you go buddy. I replaced him with a fairy wrasse. He also destroyed some cyan colored zoas and my cherry bombs/zombie eyes. All should hopefully grow back.

4) Borrowed a fish trap and went fishing. Caught me a 7" desjardini sailfin tang and a 5" foxface, heck yeah!

20140206_214721_zps8tlf0t3c.jpg

20140206_210110_zpswfnds2fj.jpg

5) Picked up an awesome new skimmer for the tank, Skimz SM201, rated for more than the old skimmer and also a lot smaller and its whisper quiet. Like I don't even know its on half the time.

20140206_114155_zpspy0jtrks.jpg

20140207_122437_zpskgap28pd.jpg

6) Also scored a way oversized return pump (old Iwaki rated for 1350 gph, new Reeflo Hammerhead Gold rated 5555 gph... yikes!). Jeremy also threw in his awesome manifold setup.

20140206_115716_zpswwlpqa2l.jpg

Didn't take me long to break my new toy. I modified the manifold for my uses and then wanted to rotate the orientation of the effluent pipes. I had cleaned out the pump and was reinstalling the manifold, when I heard a pop... and snapped the volute (piece that hold the the effluent and influent connections on the pump). Need to ease off on the body building. wave.gif There was a brightside to this. Reeflo customer service was amazing. They are shipping out a new volute (half the price of the one's found online) and told me that I could also just switch out the impeller to the "barracuda" impeller and run at 4680 gph. That would save on electricity and I wouldn't have to dial down the flow as much as I would have in the hammerhead mode. Doesn't hurt that the impeller was way cheaper than I expected.

7) I plan to have everything moved over before March 1st.

8) I am getting paranoid about my repair of the front pane of glass so I am going to have a welded frame around the entire rim of the tank and also two cross braces running across the middle to assure that I get a restful night of sleep from this point forward.

9) Been brainstorming ideas for the canopy. Need something accessible from the front and the back, without inhibiting my access.

10) Skinning the stand will be the last step, as well as organizing all the electrical components.

Alright, that's all I got for now. I'll leave you guys with this:

Look below and to the right of the large aiptasia and you'll see a smaller one there... spoiler alert... but not for long!!! grin.png

Technically the filefish was just checking out the damaged zoas. I never saw him take a nibble. Think we need to set up 24 hr surveillance. We'll bait him with some Sherita exotic zoas that she dropped off at Nikos that they can't resist.

Looking good ty. Anyone even remotely suspected of zoA eating in my tank would be most likely removed via mini spear gun.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I snacked on some the other day in your tank when you weren't looking.

Archived