FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

The Skimz skimmer already has a drain port in the collection cup. The next step is to get a large reservoir for collection of the skimmate and throw a float valve in there to let me know it's time to empty it... as well as shut off my skimmer so it doesn't overflow.

Avast marine has that. They call it a skimate locker. It has carbon over the air vent and a air pressure cut off switch that is supposed to be unfoulable and a couple options for the wiring for the apex. It's spendy though.

• Like 1

Avast marine has that. They call it a skimate locker. It has carbon over the air vent and a air pressure cut off switch that is supposed to be unfoulable and a couple options for the wiring for the apex. It's spendy though.

Yeah, I've eyeballed that unit but it's tough to beat the price of my Walmart plastic container with a hole in it and some tubing sticking out of it.

I realized I don't even need to do the carbon bit for the smell since my exhaust fan pulls all the funk out of my cabinet and canopy.

I have like 6 float valves sitting around so I'll throw one in there and voila, skimmate locker on the cheap... change my ARC username to CheaperTy while I'm at it.

• Like 2

Ty! I still have your waste collector. Just need to make time to be over or whenever you will be over this way to see you sister. I am just too busy at work. I usually don't go by MT, my wife does all the grocery shopping. I could have her bring it over and meet you somewhere too if you still want it

• Like 1

... change my ARC username to CheaperTy while I'm at it.

HA!

I like the new equipment. More automation never hurt anyone :)

Until it malfunctions and blows up in my face! [emoji33]

Good thing for automated fire suppression!

• Like 3

With the squeegee wouldn't most of the thickest crud just fall back into the skimmer/system?

I believe the idea is that skimmers foam breaks better and produces more plentiful and regular skimmate if the neck does not develop a layer of funk. I know when my skimmer neck gets that thick slime film on it, it will all but stop producing skimmate at all until I scrub it off

Also, that first wipe picture I showed was with some thicker crud on it during the first "spin". I think with regular use, what it'll wipe will have less build-up so whatever gets knocked down will be easily picked up by the foam again. There's no amount of foam that's going to pick up the goop on the wiper in that picture. At least no foam I want to mess with!

I'm pretty sure your supposed to clean the neck before putting the neck cleaner into use :)

They do sell replacements but they aren't needed very often and it isn't a regular mainintenence item. I can't remember where I saw them for sale. Out of curiosity why did you choose the vertex over the avast swabbie?

The idea is like cleaning your glass daily vs weekly. daily or hourly doesn't accumulate much. A week or more can accumulate a bunch. And as more junk collects in the neck it essentially causes more friction where the foam head can't be pushed up as easily. The micro amounts that get scraped off and drop back into the foam head doesn't amount to much therefor not affecting peak skimmer performance.

Here's a fun riddle:

All 17 fish have been removed from a 215-gallon tank (except one pesky dartfish). Feedings have been non-existent in the display tank for the past 10 days. My nitrates have stayed the same at roughly 6-8ppm but my phosphates have spiked to 0.04 ppm, up from basically non-detectable with an ultra low Hanna phosphorus meter that reads down to the parts per billion. Chew on that one for a bit. I know I will be! hmm.png