230g coming out of storage - Round Rock

ceastman

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess various critters making babies in my tank is a good sign - I got some baby snails, crabs and a baby limpet.

Where I'm from it means you've been playing too much Boys 2 Men with the lights down low.

I like the painted glass. I almost did it myself. Are you going for a lagoon style tank with plants, softies and gorgons? It looks like you've got a good start on the macros.

Not sure on a style, wasn't planning on a lagoon but got a lot of macro on the live rock I got from Florida. The fish seem to be keeping it in check, I have trimmed a bit of the macro algae so I can see other things on the rocks, the trimmings went into my refugium.

I have started getting some lps they are just small frags at this point thou. Some of the macro algae is slow growing and not very palatable but it makes it look more natural.

I agree it does look more natural. Most people aren't really looking for that natural look though. It's all about what you want to see when you get home and how much work you want to do. Personally, the natural reefkeeping style didn't work for me. When I got to Austin, I decided to start from scratch; new pumps, new tank, and new everything. I had never seen a forum that talked about natraul reefkeeping in a way ARC does. On my previous forum in Seattle, the only people keeping macros were seahorse keepers. It seemed like everyone in Austin was doing it with all types of tanks. There were all these pros like less maintenance, no skimmers, big corals, happy fish and no water changes required. It seemed too good to be true and for me it was. All in all I'm happy that I tried it, but I'm equally happy that I found a method that suited my personality.

I'm not mentioning this because I'm trying to sway you one way or another. There really is no better or worse tank style as long as you like it. This hobby is all about trial, error and calculated guesses. Most importantly, it's about finding a style or method that works for you.

Macro is not invited in my tank! gun.gif

Jokes aside, I'm on the heavy skimming camp and no macros. I don't want any issues with it going sexual or creeping into my display. To me, it's like inviting xenia or GSP into my tank, weedlike uncontrollable spreading! In reality it might not be that bad, but the only pruning and trimming maintenance I want to do is fragging my SPS and zoas. Chaeto gets a free pass since it plays nice in the sump.

But like Sascha says, it's all about finding your style of tank. It helps to see as many tanks as you can and seeing what you like. Then mimic it as best as you can and add your own twist on it.

and also tanks can change over time, as things mature. I am sure some things will die but depending on the method I may or may not agree with what caused its' demise.

Back in Connecticut I got a blue lobster for like $10 and the next day or two he was chomping on one of my $80 fish, so he got ejected.

So for now I am going more for a natural look (just so TY will think twice before sneaking anything out of my tank because there could be anything on it).

but this may change as my wife keeps looking at those Sunday night aqua sd specials.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well nothing like coming home from an over night cubscout campout to have some of my macro algae device to go sexual a couple of hours later and make the tank cloudy. thankfully I was home when it happened, so swapped out filter sock, carbon and cleaned the skimmer. The orp went from an average of 440 to 370 in about an hour 1/2, the orp has returned to its' average of 440 around 8am.

post-3417-0-66906400-1398692904_thumb.pn

I'm such a control freak... your rock makes me uneasy just thinking about it! Haha! Looks really cool though in person... so much diversity.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So not sure what triggered the brown stringy algae (over feeding, lights, etc.) so I did a coral dip on all my corals, zoas and palys. A good amount of stuff fell off in the dip.

I cut back on the feed to just a small amount of pellets 1 once per day, decreased the photo period by an hour and adjusted the lighting a bit so the 14k and 12k leds have a weather factor during the day (apex weather - clouds, etc.)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

And now we have clownfish eggs: how long before they hatch? assuming the snails/crabs don't get them.

anything I should dose foodwise? should I put them into a small hatchery type thing inside the display tank or the refugium?

post-3417-0-27957000-1432559839_thumb.jp

• 9 months later...

Mine all seem to work fine, but I go through tapatalk. Seems like the ones that get uploaded to the site are the ones that get rotated.

It's honestly one of the most annoying things about this forum, especially when tank/fish/coral pics are such a big part of sharing our passion for the hobby. angry.pngangry.pngangry.png

Archived