230g coming out of storage - Round Rock

ceastman

I have a 230g main tank - 84 x 23.5 x 27, 80g sump - 48 x 20 x 20 and a 50g refugium 36 x 18 x 18. These have been in storage for almost a decade. I attached a picture of what it looked like when we first got it started up in Connecticut before we moved and it was put into storage.

Now that we are getting back into the hobby, we noticed some things have changed - most notable lighting, so we are planning on swapping out the MH and HO fluorescent for some LED.

Probably also get a Neptune Apex to replace my Aqua Controller II. We will use the Tunze turbelle pumps we have and put some newer ones on the x-mas list. We are hoping that the Iwaki main pumps still work, I do have to find a replacement front casing for one of them. We also have some gear from MRC - Nilsen reactor, a dual chamber calcium reactor and a protein skimmer.

My wife and I have started dabbling in making our own rock, which has been a lot of fun. White Portland cement and crushed oyster shells.

I'll post some pictures of the rocks in the next couple of days,

post-3417-0-46743600-1380857958_thumb.jp

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main tank has been placed and the stand for the water closet has been built (need to sand it and then paint it). I also had time to test my Iwaki 70RLT, two of them worked and the 3rd needs a replacement volute.

hmm not sure why the pictures are rotated 90 degrees.....

post-3417-0-04675600-1381102643_thumb.jp

post-3417-0-08722300-1381102657_thumb.jp

Looking good! Any thoughts on increasing stand height? It irks me that my tank is not at eye level, and I'm not even that tall of a person. I am guessing though with the height of your actual tank itself that you may not have as much of a viewing issue as I have on the 18" tall tank.

I partially filled it with tap water and also contacted the manufacturer - http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/ all the seams and silicone seem to be intact, no bubbles or cloudiness that I can see. They also have a lifetime guarantee against leakage due to manufacturer defect. http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/lifetime-warranty/

A lifetime guarantee?! Nice, that's something good to have in this hobby.

How much research have you put into lighting your tank with LEDs? If you plan on growing SPS and other corals in a tank that size I would almost recommend using 2 different types of lights instead of 100% LED. There's all kinds of debates on whether current LEDs can successfully grow SPS or get the same results as MH or T5, it's my opinion that they haven't completely reached the level of MH yet, but using combos of T5s and LEDs is a good balance that covers enough light wavelengths and still reduces electricity and heat.

I spoke to Nick over at buildmyled, I was thinking about going with (4) 72" fixtures, (2) 12k 90 degree and 75 degree, (1) 14k 75 degree and (1) super actinic 90 degree.

That should have a nice 14K look. The whites in the 12K are really white.

• 2 weeks later...

Would a silicone sealant be safe for applying around the gaskets in my overflow boxes? The rubber gaskets still seem to be pretty pliable but I wanted to make sure before I started cementing the pvc together.

As long as the silicone has at least 24hrs to cure, you're good!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived