More IDs needed :)

Makena95GT

So I was looking at a piece that was given to me. My little starfish were all hiding in it so i gently pulled it up from its spot to get a better look high er and closer to the light. Suddenly these little 'fronds' popped out from little brown tube things that resemble Pleco turds (my best explination)

Also noticed red bubble looking thingies up top.. and some little white specs that almost look like eggs. IDs please? This piece had me sitting and staring at my tank for 2 hours straight today. Oh, and when i touch the 'fronds' they retreat back into the tubey thingies.

bd798477-06ab-43b3-bdf1-f0b6ca0562ed.jpg

dc6ca26f-dcbf-4d37-9db6-b337717297c0.jpg

7a48f466-71d2-42ce-bc7b-8535ba094a7a.jpg

3d849c2c-6f15-47c2-b8dc-2b64bd7097cd.jpg

6f362d87-d911-4b85-b399-5651c8286c1f.jpg

Feather dusters

Now I feel a little dumb for not realizing that lol

Agreed. Not sure about the first picture though. The red stuff on the top of the rock looks like red bubble algae.

That's a pretty crazy piece of live rock.

Yea that piece is awesome. I'm really glad I was given it. I think there was a brittle star that was already in there when I got it, and my other two moved in with him. His arm that he keeps sticking out looks like it could be about 1.5" long, so he can't possibly be one of my tiny babies, their whole bodies&arms are barely an inch wide lol

So bubble algae, people do not like? I thought it looked neat tongue.png

Guess on Monday I'll snip it off with some of the rock and get rid of it. Hmm, maybe I could put it in that little 1.5 gallon fluval tank I have sitting around. Then I could be mesmerised by it and not cause any issues in my tank :)

agreed, first pic looks like a nem of sorts, maybe a hydroid or even a sponge of sorts? The red bubbles appear to be a type of macro, subsea is the resident macro expert, I'd bounce it off him. That live rock looks like the skeleton of a pipe organ coral. We have one of those in the biocube. It spreads relentlessly :D

I am not familiar with Red Valonia. It could easily be emerging Red Grapes. Red Grapes is highly desirable. Bubble algae is not so desirable. However, I find it attractive. If you have a red variety, I will trade you something for it.

Patrick

Sweet, so I might end up having something really cool. I guess I'll let it do it's think for a week or two and check back up on it. The bubbles are pretty stiff, not very squishy at all like assumed the would be.

Archived