Finally pulled the trigger.......

Sherita

I've loved the coast my whole life. The smell of saltwater, the pounding of the surf, the creatures, the fishing. For years, I've stood on land and looked out there. And I always said, that one day, I would be out there too. Free from fishing strictly from land, away from the drunken hook slinging fools, idiots in trucks, and hordes of people. Well, now I WILL be out there. I brought this home today. It's all mine.

Boat.jpg

Boat2.jpg

FYI, that is my 6'8" son in the picture. He's pretty excited that Mom bought a boat. We gonna have some fun, for sure!

• Like 3

FYI the waters near rockport have the worst channel markings I've ever came across. It makes no sense and when you ask locals where to do they resond... oh go that way for about 2 min the sharp left and your clear.... FYI that doesnt always work according to one prop I destroyed.

FYI the waters near rockport have the worst channel markings I've ever came across. It makes no sense and when you ask locals where to do they resond... oh go that way for about 2 min the sharp left and your clear.... FYI that doesnt always work according to one prop I destroyed.

Yeah, the area down there is not well marked at all. Thankfully, this boat runs real skinny. I'll also be running a depth sounder. And I'm sure I'll have problems at least a few times no matter what.

Yeah, the area down there is not well marked at all. Thankfully, this boat runs real skinny. I'll also be running a depth sounder. And I'm sure I'll have problems at least a few times no matter what.

Yup I was in a bay boat that draws 4 inch, if you have guys on board each can get at a corner and float over oyster bars that are 4 inches under water. And even with depth finder they will catch you off guard. You'll often see the shallow water before the finder pings and picks it up while moving the boat over 5 knots.

Yup I was in a bay boat that draws 4 inch, if you have guys on board each can get at a corner and float over oyster bars that are 4 inches under water. And even with depth finder they will catch you off guard. You'll often see the shallow water before the finder pings and picks it up while moving the boat over 5 knots.

I don't tend to go anywhere very fast. And even if (when) I get hung up, I'm determined to have fun with it. Mess with me I'll just sit there and have a cold drink (non-alcoholic, of course). Either that, or just laugh like a loon about it.

Whew.

I was worried it was going to be yet more Zoas I need to drool over and put on my "to buy" list.

Congrats. It looks fun..... but not as fun as that fortress on water in the back of the shot with your son.

no joke. I popped open my wells fargo account and applied for a loan before reading..

so let me get this straight.. you had a boat this whole time? and we didnt have an arc party on it why? :D

so let me get this straight.. you had a boat this whole time? and we didnt have an arc party on it why? biggrin.png

LOL probably because I was busy partying on the 26 ft that was stored in dry stack? :P I went to the coast often, now the boats are here on the river that connects to the gulf

And I really do appreciate the warning :) Thankfully, my son has a buddy who is a guide. He's gonna show me the ropes (or oyster beds), and hopefully save me some real aggravation, and expenses. But I'm also sure that at some point I will get in a mess. This is my first saltwater boat, so I'm sure there are mistakes that will be made.

coudnt you remove x amount of water and replace with fresh RODI?

And I really do appreciate the warning :) Thankfully, my son has a buddy who is a guide. He's gonna show me the ropes (or oyster beds), and hopefully save me some real aggravation, and expenses. But I'm also sure that at some point I will get in a mess. This is my first saltwater boat, so I'm sure there are mistakes that will be made.

Bay boats are very nice. I grew up with access to blue water fishing off the Louisiana gulf coast. Navigating SW Pass out of Vernillion Bay during darkness and squalls, we saw plenty of oyster reefs. I remember one occasion that we spent the night high and dry on Diamond Reef. We were in a 32' Betram with a v-hull. We hoped out and eat raw oysters until the next high tide, when we floated off the oyster bar. As a teenager, this was great adventure.

Sherita, enjoy your adventure. Patrick

Edited by subsea

That looks like fun.

I picked up a 20' Mako with Johnson 150 on the back a couple of months ago. I want to fish the open waters. I've got to wait for a chart plotter/fish finder to fall into my lap. I've picked up 4 down riggers and a whole lot of Penn 4/0 Senator 113 and 113H as well as a couple of really noce 1950's Ocean City 112C and 113D reels.

I like to play in Port Aransas but so far the boat has only seen Decker and Bastrop.