bryopsis

lenver

What I can tell you is that emerald crabs do munch on this one, not sure if they can finish the job and I only have two of them, so I'm thinking of going the rabbit foxface route and see how that goes, if not I will probably then go the Tech M route.

It didn't break off into multiple segments. To tell u the truth it doesn't look like the first pic, more like the second. Because it doesn't look that rigid, and the feathery looks more fuzzy

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

hmmm that does look more like bryopsis. But there are hundreds of species of bryopsis, and hair algae is one of them. If your CUC is eating it/picking at it, I would monitor it, but let them go to town. Do you have any turbo snails in the tank?

I really don't have a CUC yet, I have some snails and I don't see them eat it ( don't know what kind ), and I got two emerald crabs which I did see eating it.

At this point I'm thinking of getting the foxface and see what he does.

Edited by lenver

I really don't have a CUC yet, I have some snails and I don't see them eat it ( don't know what kind ), and I got two emerald crabs which I did see eating it.

At this point I'm thinking of getting the foxface and see what he does.

The snails that you received from me were Florida Drawf Cerith as delivered by Reef Cleaners. Patrick

Well problem solved, those turbo snails are going to town and cleaning all the rock, the problem is that I went overboard and bought 10 of them, and they'll probably finish by tomorrow, anyone want some?

• 1 year later...

I understand the Mg increases will help destroy the bryopsis, but a afraid of hurting my inverts...? Any body have any thoughts on inverts and elevated Mg levels...?

I may just get a DIY ATS, seems like this would be a more long term answer and provide a better solution.

I increased mine to 2200 ppm Mg (though I would not recommend going that high) and the list of effects I saw were my snails being very lethargic and one actually died, my zoas dumping some zooxanthella but all survived, and my sps colors changed a bit. I have a mixed reef tank with lots of corals and fish. I would highly advise using Tech M as I have observed using BRS Mg to increase Mg level was not as effective as the Tech M.

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I increased mine to 2200 ppm Mg (though I would not recommend going that high) and the list of effects I saw were my snails being very lethargic and one actually died, my zoas dumping some zooxanthella but all survived, and my sps colors changed a bit. I have a mixed reef tank with lots of corals and fish. I would highly advise using Tech M as I have observed using BRS Mg to increase Mg level was not as effective as the Tech M.

Sent via Tapatalk

I'm currently doing the Tech M treatment, but on a large tank it can be expensive to get your level that high....

Big Als sells it online by the gallon.

Sent via Tapatalk

Yep, but it takes approximately 3 cups to raise a 250g tank by 100ppm. *sigh*
I feel you Mike! I dumped in a couple cups and then measured... sighed... then went online and ordered a gallon of it. #bigtankproblems

Sent via Tapatalk

looks like cladophora to me.. not bryopsis, give a strand a tug to see if it breaks off into segments easily.

Bryopsis :

IMGP5300.jpg

Cladophora:

88-cladophora21.jpg

You just help correct my nuisance algae ID. This whole time I thought it was bryopsis. Nope. It's cladophora. This stuff has literally formed a curtain on the back glass. Cannot see the glass at all anymore. Tomini tang bites and picks and tugs but cannot seem to break it free. It's even difficult for me to by hand. Apparently tech m is ineffective against it. Any advice?

Yes, brand new tank,finished cycling about 3 weeks ago, changed 90% of water about two weeks ago, it has a gfo reactor now, and also got some emerald crabs and they're eating it, so we're good, it looks like it's getting under control.

Did a 10% water change, and the GFO and Carbon reactor are online.

If Emerald crabs are eating it then it is NOT bryopsis. Emerald's won't eat that, but they will eat other macros like grape algae

for your cladophora.pest their are no known preditors of this speces fish or iinvert. You will need to pull by hand and comb out everything you can over and over while reducing NO3 and PO4 as much as possible. It is a difficult speces to erradicate.

Edited by Neon Reefer