Grog's 145 Gallon Build

Grog

Was planning on doing the same, leaving the back with enough room to go back there and clean the glass. I'm not fooling myself anymore, coraline algae on the backwall is not a good backdrop to look at. I don't see many Tanks of the Month with coraline on their back glass. Haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sump Day is Sunday! tongue.png

Sump/Fuge exactly two months ago.

post-2370-0-78065100-1384107397_thumb.jp

Sump today, tons of macro growth. The lights I'm using are not optimal macro lights as they are a white blue combo import fixture I had laying around. I've had good results with this caulerpa in the past so I decided to not spend the $ on an LED fixture in a plant spectrum. Not bad for two months! Big ole mass of chaeto in the back. Little shaving brushes on the left. They never seem to do much in my tanks though....

I did a partial tear down of another tank last night. If you look closely you will see two NPS gorgs on the left. Figured the sump is a great place for them. The little orange/red sea fan is a small frag of the big one in the DT. Opens with little yellow/white feathery polyps. Very pretty.

I have two stars, 100 cerith snails, 20 turbos, 50 hermits, and a boat load of pods in there.

post-2370-0-51446900-1384107429_thumb.jp

Overall, I like it but like everything else..... Hindsight is 20/20.

What would I change?

Would have went with a custom sump 12-14" tall by 56" wide, so it is easier to mess around in, and would have increased the return pump section a little larger too. I was trying to put in the biggest sump I could and the 55 gallon is a nightmare to pull the pumps out of. Fortunately, I only have done that once to rescue a starfish. And only plan on pump cleaning every 6 months.

The water input section, caulerpa, and sand bed I love. I wouldn't change a thing there. It is doing exactly what was planned. There is a bit of rock in there now too. Not for filtration but for a hidey hole for the stars and peppermints.

I really like the Caulerpa Paspoidies in your sump. I have found it to falter initially when adjusting to LED lighting, but transitions after a couple of weeks. In some on going R&D, I have documented Gracilaria Hayi increasing in mass faster than this fast growing Caulerpa.

Patrick

• 1 month later...

Updated my main build thread listing today with my gear and live stock changes..

Added a UV sterilizer and re-added the Eheim canister. Eheim canister is for a bit of water polishing and the pump feeds the UV filter. Water is clearing up nicely.

Will take some photos tomorrow.

Updated my main build thread listing today with my gear and live stock changes..

Added a UV sterilizer and re-added the Eheim canister. Eheim canister is for a bit of water polishing and the pump feeds the UV filter. Water is clearing up nicely.

The perks of being a Premium Member!

Nice list. Now lets see some pictures!

Why did you include the UV sterilizer?

I just did start up a 40W sterilizer on my 75G Jaubert Plenum tank due to first itch outbreak in 8 years. The water cleaned up immediately. I am considering it as a normal operational tool and operating my system similar to a fresh water ornamental pond.

Patrick

I added the UV is mainly to kill algae in the water column and it with the eheim will provide water polishing. Trying to get crystal clear water and hoping for less glass scraping.

• Like 1

Pictures as of today. Will post new pictures in a few weeks. There will be a bit of re-arranging next week.

First under actinics, because that is the only time the GSP is closed. Got this chunk and another from sifuentes31 right at 2 months ago. The picture shows what I glued on, then the red outline is what is new growth in two months. smile.png

post-2370-0-29510200-1388697361_thumb.jp

Next up is the left side of the tank. Big gorgonian is visible and my purple death colony that I got from Jeeper Ty about a year ago. These almost withered away to nothing in my old tank. I had forgotten about them but they bounced-back under the halides.

post-2370-0-58030300-1388697488_thumb.jp

Center of the tank, the clowns 'nest', the silver gorgonian, and paly grandis here. Mono argentus being camera hams. They are really fun fish. Heavy eaters.

post-2370-0-10018200-1388697559_thumb.jp

And the right side. Dual frogspawn colonies, bubble coral, and yellow tunicates covering rocks. A small flash of the orchid dottyback.

post-2370-0-81565500-1388697583_thumb.jp

Sump/fuge full view, this started as two pints when I bought it. rock.gif the right side is kind of bare because I harvested some caulerpa two weeks ago.

post-2370-0-03451600-1388698336_thumb.jp

The caulerpa forest

post-2370-0-69344600-1388698424_thumb.jp

A gorgonian frag that I put in the sump to see how it does.

post-2370-0-40101100-1388698373_thumb.jp

We added an Ottoman in front of the tank. It opens up on top and we keep the linens for the sleeper sofa in there. Binkie stays on the Ottoman as the dog has claimed this has her spot. :P

post-2370-0-28566600-1388698350_thumb.jp

looks great grog. after seeing your feather calurpa in the fuge i replaced the c. prolifera in a small section with it. the prolifera quadrupled in size in the time the feather didn't even double. so i pulled it out. it's a shame, i liked the idea of having a thick forest of that in my fuge.

Every tank is different.

Chaeto dies in my system. Patrick gave me a red feathery macro, it didn't last either.

Right now there is this feather caulerpa, some unknown red mossy macro I got from Patrick, and a super small ball of chaeto. I think the red mossy stuff will make it. The chaeto, not so much.

This feather roots very deeply into the sand bed. IME it does much better on deep sand and will attach to rocks but not as quickly.

The feather Caulerpa is my favorite. It will go deep in any sandbed. It is very easy to pull holdfast of the rocks and I place it high in the display tank. Everybody eats it in the tank. The mollies prune and tangs vigorously eat the lacy growth.

You are right about the Mono being aggressive eaters. I have both Argentus and Sabae. There behavior in a community tank is welcome.

Your tank is looking great. Keep the pictures coming.

Patrick

The feather Caulerpa is my favorite. It will go deep in any sandbed. It is very easy to pull holdfast of the rocks and I place it high in the display tank. Everybody eats it in the tank. The mollies prune and tangs vigorously eat the lacy growth.

You are right about the Mono being aggressive eaters. I have both Argentus and Sabae. There behavior in a community tank is welcome.

Your tank is looking great. Keep the pictures coming.

Patrick

LOL every macros is your favorite macro Patrick!

I had feather caulerpa with four tangs that never touched it.

Every tank is different.

Chaeto dies in my system. Patrick gave me a red feathery macro, it didn't last either.

Right now there is this feather caulerpa, some unknown red mossy macro I got from Patrick, and a super small ball of chaeto. I think the red mossy stuff will make it. The chaeto, not so much.

This feather roots very deeply into the sand bed. IME it does much better on deep sand and will attach to rocks but not as quickly.

Good looking tank Grog. It looks very well organized and clean. Lots of open space for the fish to swim in.

• Like 1

Very nice setup. I like the caulerpa forest also. I am trying to do the same in my sump.

How long do you keep your lights on in the sump?

Thanks! :)

Sump is on for 12 hours in the opposite time as my DT. I do a 10-15% water change every month, and when I do my water change I dose Iron and Iodine. I mention this because I feel that dosing Iron is very beneficial to this macro.

Is there a reason why you run the sump light not same time as DT light?

I am guessing PH swing but not sure. I run my DT light same time as sump light but

might have to change this.

thanks

That is the idea...

Honestly, I don't know if it matters that much. I haven't measured anything but temperature in a long time. rofl.gif Something that I read and it made sense to me, so I set my lights like that. Figured that there wouldn't be a down-side.

If you want some of this caulerpa let me know, and I'll give you a pint or two.

I am guessing PH swing but not sure.

New additions to the tank! dribble.gif

Another frogspawn! The do well so I added a brown with green tipped variety. I need a true yellow one now.....

post-2370-0-66841600-1388967702_thumb.jp

Here are all my frogspawns, rearranged so the new guy fits in. Notice that one of the clowns has decided to relocate to the green frogspawn.

post-2370-0-92493900-1388967681_thumb.jp

Here you can see the new green monti cap and the new green leather, and the clowns split up. My guess is they will both be in the frogspawn in a few days. They have gone back and forth a few times. Also a good shot of my Paly Grandis.

post-2370-0-02445400-1388967737_thumb.jp

I am guessing PH swing but not sure. I run my DT light same time as sump light but

might have to change this.

thanks

A reverse photoperiod is a common technique for people with lighted refugiums. Running a reverse photoperiod has the benefit of stabilizing Ph, Co2, and Oxygen. How it works: When the lights are on during the day, your corals consume carbon dioxide during photosynthesis and produce oxygen and carbonhydrate. Carbonate contributes to alk. Meanwhile, the lights are off in the refugium, which is producing carbon dioxide and consuming oxygen. When the lights go out in the display, the reverse happens in the refugium. When Co2 enters the water, it turns into carbonic acid and lowers Ph and oxygen levels. Tanks that are heavily stocked can show up to 0.5 Ph swings.

New additions to the tank! dribble.gif

Another frogspawn! The do well so I added a brown with green tipped variety. I need a true yellow one now.....

Beautiful set you got there! Frogspawn has always been my favorite.

• Like 1