Grog's 145 Gallon Build

Grog

Lots of things happening here. Midnight Friday I received 120# of live sand from Richard at Tampa Bay Saltwater. He dove at noon and gathered the sand. In my tank at midnight! :) Found a cool 'sunshine clam in the mix, aka a calico clam. About the size of a silver dollar.

http://www.sanibelflorida.com/calicoclam.htm

Sand is much better than what I got previously. Very clean and a good grain size for the sump. That is the darker sand in the sump.

Added 120# of Carib Sea Aragamax to the DT after a little rinsing. Then I started mixing water. OMG! Took forever to mix it all. Just got done. Sand is settling out and things are moving. NO LEAKS! :)

post-2370-0-80982900-1378592254_thumb.jp

Will order macro and bugs for the sump next week. Sump/Fuge first, DT will come online in a few weeks. Will do a big water change in my old 33 tomorrow. Will take that water and add it to this tank to seed the new tank.

Fun stuff!

Two species of Caulerpa arrived yesterday. One looked good and the other not so much so I went with the better looking one, adding it to my sump/fuge. Not a big deal, I anticipated to have some of the macro look good and some look bad. It kind of takes a beating in shipping. Also re-used an LED fixture from my decomissioned mantis tank to light the fuge. Will probably get one of the 6500k BML fixtures at some point but I think this will work fine for now. Just Caulerpa and a britle star in the sump now. (plus my sand hitchhikers)

post-2370-0-10993200-1379081251_thumb.jp

Moved my livestock over. Everything is happy, clowns are confused, but the condy is enjoying the new abode. Pic under actinic, will get a better shot under the halides when they kick on later today.

post-2370-0-09458100-1379081418_thumb.jp

Updated to add a better picture as promised.

post-2370-0-93644700-1379104504_thumb.jp

Zane, I forgot to post pictures of your rockwork. Here they are now. Patrick

The depth of water at this corner in 5K Tank is 36". I added one picture from my 75G Jaubert Plenumn tank. It is part of the rock work that would not fit on the broken matrix of pieces. I got it for my tank. Thanks Zane.

post-766-0-61419800-1379592570_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a video of the clowns rooting around in the palys.

Took forever as the clowns act differently when they see me come around. Orange clown, Alphonse, hides more than the black one. Black one likes to get under the palys in the sand more often. But this shows how the clowns hide in the mat of the palys, fully disappearing, sometimes for minutes. I have to actively look for Alphonse at times. Palys don't seem to mind either, unlike when the coral banded shrimp comes around.

Last time I fed squid cubes, they were taking squid to the palys and feeding them. Mainly, they like to lounge in the palys though.

• 2 weeks later...

New gorgonian yesterday with rock and sponges, etc.

Did a B/W picture as I'm not liking my phone camera with blue. Gorg is 11-12" tall and about as wide. grin.png Will try to get a better picture with Carol's camera later. It still is not fully opened.

post-2370-0-53852500-1381343159_thumb.jp

Hmm didn't need to wait for her camera, the halides turned o, and it is easier to photograph under them instead of actinics.

post-2370-0-53459400-1381347019_thumb.gi

Need to find out where to put those sponges.

Something else cool in this picture, dead center, my purple death palys are coming back with a vengeance. They were looking bad in the old tank but they like the new lighting.

Some of the other goodies I got yesterday. I trimmed these a bit for mounting so I ended up with some frags that I can trade in a few weeks if someone is interested. The red one has white polyps when open. Funny thing is the frag has opened and the mother colony has not.

This one is 12" tall

post-2370-0-29981000-1381348240_thumb.gi

This is about 6" tall.

post-2370-0-11689100-1381348258_thumb.gi

Sponge

post-2370-0-10927300-1381348337_thumb.gi

Blue background looks great IMO but I am cleaning the back every other day. Fortunately, I set up the system about 8" from the wall so I can reach back behind and use a mag float to clean it. :P

• Like 1