ID Please - Another tentacled thing

Planeden

These are on my leather rock. I'm a bad guesser, so I'm just going to wait for the experts. It was hard to get a good photo because my camera wanted to focus on everything but the and the backgrounds for everything is white. If i need to try harder to get a better picture, maybe add a dark background, let me know.

Thanks everyone.

post-3177-0-39313000-1372968691_thumb.jp

post-3177-0-23310300-1372968886_thumb.jp

Baby Aiptasia hmm.png

thanks tim. i just remembered (i think it was you) a diagnostic tool. i poked it with a stick and the whole thing retracted into the hole.

so, that is a kill on sight thing. well, two kill on site things.

A single peppermint can clean a decent sized tank of aiptasia in no time flat.

River city just got a batch of peppermints in yesterday that I can confirm for sure will eat aiptasia. I put one in my tank yesterday and it has already almost cleared my tank and I had a pretty bad infestation.

A single peppermint can clean a decent sized tank of aiptasia in no time flat.

River city just got a batch of peppermints in yesterday that I can confirm for sure will eat aiptasia. I put one in my tank yesterday and it has already almost cleared my tank and I had a pretty bad infestation.

Awesome. Hopefully they'll still have them tomorrow night.

i have not seen evidence that the shrimp is doing his job. actually, i haven't seen the shrimp since the weekend.

so, plan B: if i take the rock out and just dip the rock (not the coral) into H2O2, what will the aptasia do? is it likely to jump out of the rock or likely to dive into his hole? if he jumps out, then that seems ideal. if he dives in, then i can try to super glue the hole closed approach.

hopefully this can be done fast enough that the leather will not be too stressed, or die.

Not sure on efficacy, but I have a few aiotasia I need to eliminate, so I got some aiotasia-x. You're welcome to some of it.

i'm assuming you have read about the reef safeness of aptasia x? http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/54519-aiptasia-x-review.html

let me know how it works for you. either way, i have the benefit of being able to pull that rock out to treat it. so far, assuming it has not spread.

One thing to remember about aiptasia is that the more you fiddle with it, the more likely you are to spread it. I would get the rock out, frag your coral off the rock, and toss the rock to dry out in the sun. Also, peppermint shrimp are awesome, but sometimes can die pretty easily. Lastly, they've been known to pick at/eat other nems and mushrooms. So be careful with it! I have a pepp in my fiances tank now, that keeps picking at her ric garden.

I used aiptasia x on two aiptasia and it worked great. Used the included syringe and sprayed it before it retracted. I was lucky that I noticed them before adding to the tank, so it was pretty easy to maneuver the syringe to where it needed to be.

One thing to remember about aiptasia is that the more you fiddle with it, the more likely you are to spread it. I would get the rock out, frag your coral off the rock, and toss the rock to dry out in the sun. Also, peppermint shrimp are awesome, but sometimes can die pretty easily. Lastly, they've been known to pick at/eat other nems and mushrooms. So be careful with it! I have a pepp in my fiances tank now, that keeps picking at her ric garden.

Yick...not sure I trust myself the frag yet. Just trying to learn to keep them alive. I figured I'd leave the beheading to a later date. I'll call that plan e. not sure exactly what c and d are, yet. Please note, this does seem like a good plan...but...yeesh...

Yes, you left me speaking onomatopoeia for a moment there. Ok, I'm not bright, but am I the only one that finds it odd the onomatopoeia sounds nothing like its spelled?

I used aiptasia x on two aiptasia and it worked great. Used the included syringe and sprayed it before it retracted. I was lucky that I noticed them before adding to the tank, so it was pretty easy to maneuver the syringe to where it needed to be.

Yeah, this may be plan c :).

Jumping in late here but I've used aiptasia x with moderate success. Sure, if applied carelessly it can harm other corals, but...so can an aiptasia infestation. I've had aiptasia x spill all over some zoas and they just closed up for a few hours. Didn't kill them. I tried peppermint shrimp, they ignored aiptasia and ate a couple ricordea instead. Tried lemon juice but you gotta stab them and they're too fast.

I have one rock covered with about 300 zoa polyps, and a saucer sized toadstool leather. When I got it, it had about 50 aiptasia scattered all over it. I have successfully killed all but two to this point with Zero spreading. I carefully use aiptasia x with all the pumps off. Sometimes even feeding one that is smack dab in the middle of zoas, without spilling any. The stuff works you just gotta make sure they actually eat it. If you touch them or they close up, just covering their hole with it won't work. Gotta be Injested. The two stragglers have been reluctant to eat it and will move every time I treat them. I'll get them eventually.

As also mentioned. Every failed attempt at killing them can encourage them to spread. Be diligent. Kill them on site, but don't panic. Aiptasia are no big deal. Easier to manage than algae that's for sure.

ok, now you're too late.

i took the rock out and placed it in hydrogen peroxide (undiluted 3%). the places where the known aiptasia were bubbled and kinda looked foamy. i was able to do a pretty good job of getting most of the rock submerged without the leather coral being in it (we named him sea-a-pet). sea-a-pet was not happy and was smooth, slippery, and droopy. after the rock seemed to stop bubbling i rinsed everything in a cup of tank water and put it back in the tank (rock, not water). in no time at all sea-a-pet started growing his hair out again. so, coral=alive, check. aiptasia = dead, unknown.

for anyone wondering, i'm not sure...3-5 minutes i'd guess. i was going to set a timer, but with the depth of the peroxide and the shape of the rock, sea-a-pet kept getting his stalk in, so i held him up a little.

ha: just saw the original pictures in the thread. sea-a-pet's already happier than he was in those.

update for anyone interested. after 2 days there has been no sign of it. sea-a-pet is still as hairy as ever. i did lose some of the coraline algea on the rock, though. well, at least it has turned funny colors, more or less fading. but, if it gets rid of the aiptasia, then it's a small price to pay. i have to look up though to see how long between single living cell to noticible nem to get the final determination.

Coraline will change colors if it is exposed to air ... mine would change to an orangish when I would re-arrange the rockwork in the tank.

interesting. thanks for the information. in this case, it is disappearing, but i'll watch and see if it comes back. well, i'm sure it'll cover back up eventually.

i kind of liked the orange color, but now it is brown and a little fuzzy looking like it's breaking down.

Archived