Our Little Ocean!

Brooks

Helllloooo fantastic members of Austin Reef Club!

For those of you who know me, I have had small tanks for years. Never had anything bigger than a 40g. Well, FINALLY, my other half and I upgraded to a 135g. We live in our own house now, not an apartment, and have the room/time/income to have a tank of this size. Needless to say, I am ecstatic and so is Sean.

After trial and error trying to find a used tank, we ended up buying a new one (which is what we should've done from day one, but I digress). We picked up a brand new DSA 135g with dual overflows from RCA (THANK YOU Jake, Francis and Tavio)! For the stand, we picked it up from Yasmin... it is about 8" longer on each side but I like the look of it... there is room for something decorative on the side.

So, here is the equipment rundown:

• 135g DSA, Dual Overflows (60x20x24)
  • 20g simple sump
  • All plumbing is hard plumbed
  • 2 x Tunze Silence 1073.04
  • 2 x Jabeo WP40 (bought MP40s and switched)
  • 2 x 250w metal halides, LumenBrite Mini Reflectors, Lumatek Ballasts, Radium 20k mogul
  • Sea Side Aquatics CS2 Protein Skimmer (rebranded Bubble Magus)
  • Reef Octopus CR 140 Calcium Reactor

That is it for the equipment. I plan on installing a GFO/Carbon reactor soon, as well as a ReefKeeper. I have never used something like it before, but we'll see. Also, will be adding an ATO system (will need help - I'm blind when it comes to that sort of stuff).

As far as livestock goes, it is going to be SPS dominant. I plan to keep a variety of fish... for now, I will only list the fish in the stock list, and update with coral as I progress. I have about 3 SPS colonies and some zoanthids in there now.

Fish/invert stock list (04/19/2013):

• 2 x Blue Tang (one small, one large -- Little Blue & Big Mama)
  • 2 x Bangaii Cardinal
  • Lawnmower Blenny (Grandpa, as Sean calls him)
  • Scooter Dragonette (Scoots)
  • Flame Wrasse (DEMON FISH)
  • 2 x Super Picasso
  • Nasarrius Snails (lot of 'em)
  • 2 x Fighting Conch (need to get rid of these guys)
  • Skunk Cleaner
  • 2 x Peppermint Shrimp

Possible fish options:

• Achilles Tang
  • Naso Tang (if I can't get an Achilles)
  • Various Anthias (looking to get 3 of some sort)
  • Leopard Wrasse
  • Emerald Crabs
  • Nerite Snails

Teaser...

image_zps17746889.jpeg

• Like 1

Get an apex instead smile.png

Awkward, was just about to text you to see what I should get, LOL.

Also, a BIG THANK YOU TO Bio^3 and Capt. Obvious! They helped out tremendously with plumbing and all of the other problems I had... Ha!

I have been very pleased with my Achilles from Live Aquarias divers den. He was immediately accepting all frozen food and just recently started eating pellets.

I tried 2 previously from regular Live Aquaria and was not successful.

• Like 1

I have been very pleased with my Achilles from Live Aquarias divers den. He was immediately accepting all frozen food and just recently started eating pellets.

I tried 2 previously from regular Live Aquaria and was not successful.

That is what I am considering.. they seem to get one every week. I am wondering if my tank can accommodate all of the fish though, especially 3 Tangs. The skimmer is rated for like, 230g... we'll see.

Thank you everyone! I am taking pictures (crappy iPhone pictures, but they're still pictures) as we speak! I will upload them shortly. :)

Also, if anyone wants to come over, talk tank, and get a small frag or two to help install a CA reactor, feel free to come by!

You setup looks great. A 20g sump though?

The other thing I'd caution would be having too many tangs/big fish. That tanks only 5ft long which doesnt give them that much swimming room.

The amount of room in the stand was limited, especially with all of the equipment I will have under there. I had to go with a 20g to make room for all of the plumbing, too. Since it was a dual overflow and they are so far apart, I had to make do. I will probably add a refugium or another 10 or 20g tank to the right side, and put something there to cover it.

I ultimately plan to have 2 Tangs -- a Blue Hippo, and an Achilles OR Naso... whichever one - we'll see. Little Blue will be going to a new home when she is a little more stable.

29 gallon tanks are only 30"

The problem with it, was that it was too high. I might experiment though... it is easy to get the sump out.

There is one at my house if you want to test it

Thank ya for the offer! I do have one here at the house, in one of the closets, though.