Our Little Ocean!

Brooks

Looks great Brooks. I didn't realize you moved up to Pflug as well. Looks like your frags are closer to me than before.

Thank you! :)

And yes, I am very close to you! Right off of 130/Gattis School Rd.

I'm starting to ponder how hard it would be to drill through my wall, and connect a large sump/refugium in the room adjacent to my tank..

Anyone done this before here that can offer advice?

I'm starting to ponder how hard it would be to drill through my wall, and connect a large sump/refugium in the room adjacent to my tank..

Which prat? Ive drilled plenty of holes through walls. That's easy. I just cut them small enough that I can install a blank faceplate over them when I move. Plumbing it while the tank is in place may be tricky.

How cool would it be though, to have a display fuge in the other room? Use your little sump to hold the skimmer and equipment and then just have a fuge in the back.

Which prat? Ive drilled plenty of holes through walls. That's easy. I just cut them small enough that I can install a blank faceplate over them when I move. Plumbing it while the tank is in place may be tricky.

How cool would it be though, to have a display fuge in the other room? Use your little sump to hold the skimmer and equipment and then just have a fuge in the back.

I'm actually more worried about drilling the holes thru the walls, so pipes can be put all the way thru. All I would really need to do to keep everything in the tank in-check is keep water circulating while I take on the plumbing. O_O

I meant space between the wall and the tank could make it tricky. But you know better than I do about that.

As for holes, if I remember the layout, you are on a wall that is not near any water, so hitting plumbing shouldn't be a concern. Keep away from studs and outlets and I wouldn't think wires would be a problem. You can use a hole saw to get a nice round hole, but I get frustrated trying to get the drywall out of the bit. I am more about function than looks, ie sloppy, so I generally just use a dremmel tool and cut something resembling a shape that is big enough for what I need. You can also use a Sheetrock saw.

Of course, there is no reason you have to make small round holes. The studs hold the house up and the drywall just gives you something to paint. You can cut large sections if you want. Patches are easy enough if you want to fill it in down the road.

I wish I would have done this once. Cut the hole in one side, then you can look and make sure you aren't going to hit anything...say a drain line under my kitchen...in you wall.

Am I understanding your question? If so, am I making any sense?

• Like 1

I meant space between the wall and the tank could make it tricky. But you know better than I do about that.

As for holes, if I remember the layout, you are on a wall that is not near any water, so hitting plumbing shouldn't be a concern. Keep away from studs and outlets and I wouldn't think wires would be a problem. You can use a hole saw to get a nice round hole, but I get frustrated trying to get the drywall out of the bit. I am more about function than looks, ie sloppy, so I generally just use a dremmel tool and cut something resembling a shape that is big enough for what I need. You can also use a Sheetrock saw.

Of course, there is no reason you have to make small round holes. The studs hold the house up and the drywall just gives you something to paint. You can cut large sections if you want. Patches are easy enough if you want to fill it in down the road.

I wish I would have done this once. Cut the hole in one side, then you can look and make sure you aren't going to hit anything...say a drain line under my kitchen...in you wall.

I may, or may not have a hole saw in my hand right now...

Thank you for the write up Dennis!!

I may, or may not have a hole saw in my hand right now...

Thank you for the write up Dennis!!

Ha, no problem. Good luck.

So, I wimped out... I might have to wait until I can lure Capt. out here again when he is free!

On the bright side, I just tested for PO4 and NO3 and both came up undetectable... thank you, oversized skimmer! You are doing me proud! I'm also contemplating selling the Jebao and going back to what I know best -- MP40s... Not for sure yet... but we'll see.

So, I wimped out... I might have to wait until I can lure Capt. out here again when he is free!

On the bright side, I just tested for PO4 and NO3 and both came up undetectable... thank you, oversized skimmer! You are doing me proud! I'm also contemplating selling the Jebao and going back to what I know best -- MP40s... Not for sure yet... but we'll see.

Why are you switching?

I'll drill holes...for frags

(sounds dirtier than I thought it would)

• Like 1

Why are you switching?

I'm not thoroughly impressed with the flow pattern that the WP40 gives, nor do I like the bulkiness of it. I've tried adding both of them in, and its a complete overkill. The fish can barely swim without being tossed out of the tank.. I might try dimming it before I give up on them completely, but I sort of miss my over-priced pieces of plastic. :(

I'll drill holes...for frags

(sounds dirtier than I thought it would)

I give frags... for holes?

I regret this statement.

i failed. i was so proud last night thinking, "i helped brooks", and now all my dreams are suddenly dashed.

i failed. i was so proud last night thinking, "i helped brooks", and now all my dreams are suddenly dashed.

You gave me the confidence to pick up the drill, and contemplate heavily! THAT, is worth SO much more!!!

You gave me the confidence to pick up the drill, and contemplate heavily! THAT, is worth SO much more!!!

whatever, i'm going to just huddle under a blanket for a while.

where's that sarcasm tag thing? -%&