DIY Deep Water Spot Feeder

boognish

I needed a way to spot feed the corals in the bottom of my tank. I was tired of using a baster or pipette and getting soaked. Not to mention, the refraction when standing over the tank usually resulted in me spot feeding the wrong coral or the water column, I came up with this deep water spot feeder. It cost me less than $2.00 in materials, but I came across the 2oz syringe/plunger on the ground at the free SXSW Flaming Lips show last month. They were sold as the delivery mechanism for Jello shots, but I saw more potential in them...

Supplies:

• 2oz Syringe/Plunger
    • Either go to a show and buy a jello shot, pick one up off the ground (recommended,) or search the internet for "Jello Shot Syringes"
  • 3/8" Inner Diameter PVC - cost: $1.49
  • Vinyl Tubing (3/8" Outer Diameter) - cost: .27c / foot
  • Vinyl Tubing (Standard air hose used for air stones, etc) - cost: had it laying around

post-84-0-31565700-1364796116_thumb.jpg

post-84-0-24460200-1364796110_thumb.jpg

Cut the PVC to desired length. Since the PVC I found came in 5' lengths, I cut it into 3' and 2' lengths that I can use for varying depths at different angles.

post-84-0-94777700-1364796106_thumb.jpg

Cut about 1.5 - 2 inch pieces of both hoses and make the tip by fitting the smaller hose into the larger hose.

post-84-0-97886300-1364796102_thumb.jpg

post-84-0-74693700-1364796098_thumb.jpg

Fit the larger hose into one end of the PVC. I made two of these tips and fit one onto both the 2' and 3' PVC pieces.

post-84-0-94878400-1364796093_thumb.jpg

Fit the other end over the syringe. I did not glue it. It stays on pretty well and I can remove it to use on either length of PVC.

post-84-0-62715100-1364796090_thumb.jpg

Mix up your feeding concoction and spot feed at any depth without getting wet. Attach the stem to the syringe then suck the food mixture into the end of the stem where the flexible hose tip is; not into the plunger first.

post-84-0-85544800-1364796086_thumb.jpg

Before the stem is in the tank, gravity will pull the plunger down, so learn from my product testing and hold the plunger up to keep the food off the floor, the smell out of the room, and the wife off your back.

I do this with rigid air tubing, works great and is tiny enough to snake though egg crate and rocks.<br /><br />If you ever need to get a dead critter out these work great for that also just apply suction to the body and lift them out

If anyone has a syringe with the thumb ring like pictured in the link mike listed, can I get one? :)

I only have ordinary syringes and wanted to find some with thumb rings, but wasn't willing to order just a syringe online.

I made something similar in the past, but used a 20oz soda bottle with the bottom cut off as a feeding "bell". Just poke the end of your tube through the screw on top. It allows you to surround the target coral (in some cases not), keep snails and crabs away, and feed. Worked great for my sun coral, and acans.

If anyone has a syringe with the thumb ring like pictured in the link mike listed, can I get one? smile.png

I only have ordinary syringes and wanted to find some with thumb rings, but wasn't willing to order just a syringe online.

Sorry about the thread-jack!

$2.35 on Amazon with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Piston-Irrigation-Syringe-60/dp/B001B5NE38/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364838216&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=control+piston+syringe

317s%2B5NtWyL.jpg

*Several available on ebay as well, search for "Control Syringe"

If anyone has a syringe with the thumb ring like pictured in the link mike listed, can I get one? smile.png

Sorry about the thread-jack!

$2.35 on Amazon with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Piston-Irrigation-Syringe-60/dp/B001B5NE38/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364838216&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=control+piston+syringe

317s%2B5NtWyL.jpg

*Several available on ebay as well, search for "Control Syringe"

ok fine you twisted my arm, I'll order one online :P

I have access to a wholesale site that sells oral syringes in bulk (~$15 per 100). But there may be a minium total purchase of $75 (i think the cheaper site has that). Also, I will have to talk it over with some people, but I may be able to work out something where you make a small charitable donation and get some "free" syringes in return. I have not seen the ones with the thumb holes though. We usually have 0.5 mil, 1 mil, and 3 mil.

Of course, if you just need a few you can go to any pharmacy and they will usually give a few out for free (ask for oral syringes). I think I have also paid $0.10 a piece at the Randall's pharmacy.

Archived