The Droplet: an arduino monitored GU10 lit pico drop-off tank

Capt. Obvious

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I acquired a 2.5 gallon aga at the dollar per gallon sale.. and partitioned it off with home depot acrylic...stand is in the works

Just curious what petco you bought a 2.5 gallon aquarium with the dollar per gallon sale? The sale is only for aquariums 10 gallons plus.

I bought one in bastrop last $1 sale. Didn't know its a hard thing, I just asked if I could have it at the $1/gallon price cause it was under 55 gallons and they did it.

^this...It probably helped that I was buying a 55, a 40 and the 10(shown earlier with the rock in it) and a 5 as well...companies like money, But I am about to post all my sources for all my items with further proof of costs.

For ease of book keeping:

Here is a detailed list of my equipment along with cost and source

Tank:

Acrylic was supplied and cut by Binswanger glass at a cost of 10 per panel for a cost of $70 (Binswanger receipt)

Controller:

Arduino+LCD+LCD Shield Source: EBAY Auction(Trade_spotting) Cost $34 (completed auction)

Real Time Clock Source: EBAY(OddWires) Cost: 5.95 (I bought 2, 1 is for another project) (completed auction)

Opto-Isolated 8 Channel Relay Board Source: Ebay(estation100) Cost $4.69 (Completed Auction)

Temperature Probe source: Ebay(NYPlatform) Cost $4.86 (completed auction)

Heater – PENDING

Float Switch – USED Obtained in a bucket of free stuff from the forum about a year ago, can be found NEW all over ebay for $1, I listed it at $2 to be fair (price reference)

PH Stamp: Source: Tindie(dormant labs) Cost:$19 (Tindie Receipt)

Outlets: PENDING

1/4w resistors Source:Frys

Flow:

Maxijet1200 Source: USED my garage (it is covered in bleached out coralline) can be purchased NEW on ebay for ~ 11.99 am much cheaper on the forum (price reference)

Sump:

2.5-gallon glass aquarium $13.99 petsmart (price reference)

Overflow Plumbing:

Return Strainer Source: USED harvested from my daughter’s old pico in my garage listing at ebay NEW pricing of $2.50 (price reference)

1” street 90-degree elbow source: USED harvested from a bucket in my garage listing at NEW Lowes retail price $1.46 (price reference)

1”slip to ¾”mpt adapter source: USED harvested from a bucket in my garage listing at NEW Lowes retail price

¾” Bulkhead source: USED harvested from my daughter’s old pico in my garage listing at ebay NEW pricing of $3.35 (price reference)

¾” threaded elbow source LOWES cost $0.98 (price reference)

¾” slip elbow source LOWES cost 2 @ $0.42 (price reference)

Return Plumbing:

3/8” Watts straight thru connector source: USED from my old broken mixing trashcan listing at Home Depot NEW price of $3.88 (Price reference)

3/8” Watts threaded fitting source: USED from old mixing trashcan, listed at NEW Home Depot price of $3.67(price reference) caused leaks

1/2" cpvc special female adapter Source: USED listed at the NEW Lowes Price of $0.88 (price reference)

16mm Uniseal source TXHydroponics cost $0.21 each x 2 – I do not have a receipt for this

½” cpvc 90-degree elbows (4) Source: LOWES Cost $0.21 each (price reference)

½” cpvc stop and waste valve Source: LOWES cost $2.93 (price reference)

1/2" cpvc union Source: LOWES Cost $4.21 (price reference)

Water change plumbing:

¼” John Guest bulkhead source Ebay(fixurwater) $3.75 (purchased 3, using 1 for this project)(completed auction)

¼” John Guest valve source USED harvested from an old RO/DI unit listing at ebay NEW price of $3.54 (for cost reference)

Lighting:

GU10 Sockets source Ebay(ledworld2010) purchased 10, used 6 cost $2.70 (completed auction)

2xGu10 cool white LED source Ebay(luckzdl2008)(completed auction) $8.56

2xGU10 Blue LED source Ebay(luckzdl2008) (completed auction) $8.56

2xGU10 2b+1w LED source Ebay(luckzdl2008)(completed auction) $9.50

In addition, this searching for a receipt/accounting for costs has cut into my build time for today. As a sign of good faith I will simply take the retail (with pet perks discount) petsmart cost (I happened to be there getting my dog's nails trimmed). I am not really worried about the $10 difference in the long run. I'd rather just "move on" I'll update the budget once I get home.

post-771-0-55589100-1358722013_thumb.jpg

Well with my wife getting a new job, a bryopsys outbreak in my main display, my car having a blowout on 35 I have not had a ton of time to work on things, and needless to say...the tank is still dry :(

But I thought I would update everyone with a few pics

i trimmed the center of some rubber washers to use with the John guest bulkhead (they do not come with washers). The entire purpose of this bulkhead is to allow for near 100% draining for water changes.

Also pictured is my grossly large overflow constructed out of all reused plumbing. (Not sure what the FMV of the spray bar piece is (or where it originally came from)

Also pictured is my clearly used maxijet and how I fashioned a quick connect system from used John guest/watts fittings.

Finally, the rear shot of the tank all plumbed up

post-771-0-19865700-1358914804_thumb.jpg

post-771-0-08839400-1358914880_thumb.jpg

post-771-0-95613700-1358914941_thumb.jpg

post-771-0-09276700-1358915100_thumb.jpg

post-771-0-66267100-1358915220_thumb.jpg

post-771-0-72887600-1358915276_thumb.jpg

Had a few mishaps over the past few days (note to self, close drain valve BEFORE filling tank) and made a minor adjustment to the return plumbing, and have continued letting it run. So far so good, still need to finish the stand...or at least enough to mount the light.

Archived