The Droplet: an arduino monitored GU10 lit pico drop-off tank

Capt. Obvious

Here is the start of my build.
Self assembled acrylic pico drop-off tank
7 pieces of acrylic cut @ binswanger glass for a total of $70
Rendered in sketchup before to ensure proper measurements, etc

It will be monitored by a self assembled reef controller based upon arduino and will utilize a 3.2" touch screen LCD monitor (based on NKD5024's build on Reef Central)

post-771-0-84848100-1358230625_thumb.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading a few threads I decided to go with gu10 led lighting for a few reasons (the main being cheap, can be wired with lamp cord, no driver necessary, and dim able with a common household dimmer switch)

I was able to find an eBay source from china that sold 3x1 watt in white and blue and a 2blue 1 white configuration as well as sockets for near dirt pricing. I am pretty impressed with the output as seen here:

post-771-0-97158200-1358231245_thumb.jpg

nice touch with the controller!

I'll have to research that, I'll add it after the contest so I dont steal your idea :P Looks sweet though, if you ever feel like helping me through it for my first time let me know ;) I can bring beer!

This is sweet!! Can't wait to see it with water!

How are you handling flow?

Thanks!

For flow I will be going with a used maxijet 1200 or a rio for a return pump and I am thinking a used maxijet 900 for a closed loop, or a koralia... I haven't fully decided.

nice touch with the controller!

I'll have to research that, I'll add it after the contest so I dont steal your idea tongue.png Looks sweet though, if you ever feel like helping me through it for my first time let me know wink.png I can bring beer!

Sure thing, I have spent the past 2-3 months researching arduino based diy controllers before choosing this one, obviously it will have a limited scope due to budget, but there is a ton you can do with them (automated water changes wink.png )

You can snag an arduino+LCD shield+touchscreen LCD with sd card reader on eBay from sainsoft for ~35...you just have to wait a while on the shipping

the sump is an aga 2.5 gallon. the display dimensions are 5" tall x 12"wide x 7" long for the upper section (so 420 in3) and 8" tall 12" wide and 7" long for the lower section (so 672 in3) for a total of 1092 in3 or ~ 4.73 US Gallons

Archived