The Droplet: an arduino monitored GU10 lit pico drop-off tank

Capt. Obvious

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dramatically reduced the amount of rock in the tank as I felt it looked a bit crowded. Now have ~5 lbs. and in the process found a cerith hitchhiker (woohoo freebies). I also picked up a flourescent yellow maxi-mini for $17.99. He is roughly the size or a nickle.

8440241986_0bc0680343_k.jpg

And a full tank shot showing the new rock work

8439148721_27c5ae93b0_k.jpg

After reading a few threads I decided to go with gu10 led lighting for a few reasons (the main being cheap, can be wired with lamp cord, no driver necessary, and dim able with a common household dimmer switch)

I was able to find an eBay source from china that sold 3x1 watt in white and blue and a 2blue 1 white configuration as well as sockets for near dirt pricing. I am pretty impressed with the output as seen here:

i saw similar ones on ebay (if not the same ones) how would these do for coral growth? do you know?

After reading a few threads I decided to go with gu10 led lighting for a few reasons (the main being cheap, can be wired with lamp cord, no driver necessary, and dim able with a common household dimmer switch)

I was able to find an eBay source from china that sold 3x1 watt in white and blue and a 2blue 1 white configuration as well as sockets for near dirt pricing. I am pretty impressed with the output as seen here:

i saw similar ones on ebay (if not the same ones) how would these do for coral growth? do you know?

There is a good post on this by a guy called "tinyGiant" on another forum...it is 48+pages long...and results are pretty positive

Ok, I started populating the droplet as follows:

1 pom pom crab($12)- aquadome

Coral stock

2 ricordia ($34)-scubasteve

2 metallic green mushrooms - free

Kenya tree - free

Blue Clove polyp - free -

Fairy Dust palys - Free

Neon Green Nepthea - free

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much to update...still building on the stand. Coral is as follows"

3 ricordia, 2 from scubasteve and a freebie from SourDatx

Some blue clove polyps free from victoly and SourDatx

Kenya tree Free from new55gallonSALT

tiny Nepthea frag (less than 1/2") $5 from my main display

4 heads of fairy Dust Palys - i give these away free all the time...but I'll say $5

Elegance coral with 2 candycane heads on the side - $17 fixer-upper from Hunter

2 metallic green mushrooms, free from new55gallonSALT

8535636778_ec67bbfafe_k.jpg

Archived