92 gallon quarter circle with custom stand

SChrisEV

LED Lighting: What to do with this shape of a tank???? I have two thoughts, and am 100% open to others ideas! I need to keep in mind budget, so that has me thinking DIY. Again open to others input here.

There are two setups that come to mind so far. In both cases there are multiple fixtures that I'd wire the different colors together. For instance if I just went with White and Blue LEDs, then I'd have two drivers. One controlling all the whites in any fixtures, and the second controlling all the blues in the fixtures. Does anyone see any problem with this concept alone?

First idea, use three pendant style lights, If I go this route I'd probably look at following Timfish's lead with the 60w cannon: http://www.austinree...88-my-led-pdfs/. I'm thinking kinda like this:

post-2161-0-87661000-1352135695_thumb.pn

The other idea I had was to have a type of a T Shape with two lights kinda like this:

post-2161-0-95577500-1352135755_thumb.pn

Electrical is my weak point with any type of DIY, I just have not done much of it. So along side knowing it it's not enough or two much for my tank, just the over all capabilities of drivers for instance is a question for me. smile.png

What do you think about either. Is there a rule of thumb with watts per gallon with LEDs?? My overall goal is to minimize dark stops in the tank.

Sorry for the crude drawing.

I Should have indicated, the tank is about 36" from the back corner to the two sides, and had the same radius along the bowed front.

Thanks!

Edited by SCEV

I like the T shape if you go the LED route. It should be easy to construct a hanging or other frame for it. You can then position the LED's for optimal light spread on the frame. Rectangular heatsinks are pretty easy to come by as well.

Well, not that I don't think my cannon design is brilliant laugh.png but if you look at buildmyled stuff there's an argument for going with their fixtures. The cannon are going to run you $160 for parts then you have to assemble them and even without lenses the LED are fairly conentrated. With 3 cannons you will have areas you can grow SPS but I think you are going to have dark areas also. The 3' buildmyled fixture is almost the same wattage, 57 watts, $229 is $70 more than the cannon but this does not seem a huge difference to me1, has green and red LEDs, has a lower profile and does not itself need fans so no moving parts (although I'd be inclined to put a box/muffin fan in the hood). I think three of the 3' fixtures would give a more even coverage than three of the cannons and using two 2' in a triangle configuration with a 3' seems like it would work too (then you could put one of my cannons in the center wink.png)

1 Compare to the Kessel A150 which is $225 & 32 watts - $7.03 per watt

the Ophek DIF-30 which is $399 & 30 watts - 13.3 per watt

or the Radion XR30 which is $599 & 126 watts - $4.75 per watt (but it is a nice fully programable fixture)

By contrast the buildmyled 3' fixture would be $230 and 57 watts - $3.85 per watt

and 3 DIY cannons would be $160 and 60 watts - $2.67 per watt (not including labor)

• Like 1

Just placed my order for a 36" Custom Reef Spectrum fixture from BuildMyLED.com. Exchanged a few emails with Nick yesterday he was very helpful. They now have a 75 degree optic (not on the site yet) that he recommended after telling him about my tank dimensions. Pics to come as soon as I get it in!

• Like 1

Just placed my order for a 36" Custom Reef Spectrum fixture from BuildMyLED.com. Exchanged a few emails with Nick yesterday he was very helpful. They now have a 75 degree optic (not on the site yet) that he recommended after telling him about my tank dimensions. Pics to come as soon as I get it in!

Your going to need more than that got that tank. It'll get you started though.

Your going to need more than that got that tank. It'll get you started though.

Yep, I'll need more. This is just my "start". Once I get it on the tank I'll figure out what more I'll need.

Figured I'd post a current pic, still have not built the canopy, that will be the next big project.

Tank as of today:

post-2161-0-69802500-1353031837_thumb.pn

I want more Live Rock, may just get some "dead live rock" but need/want more rock. The heater is not going to stay in the tank, I'm just doing some work on my sump ATM so easier to fit in the tank, also the thermostat is temporary just to have a backup/test reading for the time being.

The great news is that I have 0 PPM for Ammonia and Nitrite!

Forgot to mention, lighting the tank right now is a 36" Power Compact fixture, and a 36" BuildMy LED light. The BuildMy LED light puts out some serious light!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted anything here, been having to much fun with the actual aquarium! So here are a few pics, sorry camera is not the best....

Full shot cropped a bit:

post-2161-0-42100600-1355262843_thumb.jp

from left side:

post-2161-0-05588000-1355262866_thumb.jp

Center shot:

post-2161-0-91997200-1355262887_thumb.jp

from right:

post-2161-0-22942900-1355262914_thumb.jp

Fish/Inverts that are in the tank:

Tube Blenny - Benny (not really sure what kind he is, but he'd pretty small)

Red Serpent Star - Not named

2 Paired Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish - Bonnie and Clyde

Potter's Angelfish - Not named

Yellow Tang - Dollar T

3 Banggai Cardinalfish - Not named. Two are currently MIA, so we'll see, maybe only 1

Yellow Watchman Goby paired with Tiger Pistol Shrimp - Not named, have not seen the shrimp for a couple days, but it was small so easy to miss.

Coral banded Shrimp - Jacques

Lots of snails and hermits

Corals:

Green Dragon Eye Zoa

Nuclear Green Zoa

Purple Death Palys

Green Star Palyps

Couple color variations of Frog Spawn

Kenya Tree
Xenia
Sour Apple Birdsnest
Balisto
Fairy Dust Polyps
Unknown Birdsnest
Favia
Lobophyllia
Blue Sympodium
Aliens Blood Rhodactis Mushroom
Yellow Ring Rhodactis Mushroom
Brownish/purple with blue spots mushroom (came one some live rock so no idea the real name)
Chalice - not sure that kind was given to me
Special thanks to KimP, she really set me up with a bunch of stuff! Very Very nice! Thanks you! Also big thanks to RUSH, and rchavez.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments, looking at the list it seems like I have a lot of stuff, but looking at the pics.... I NEED MORE! smile.png I'm waiting on (as in need to buy) more LED's from BuildMyLED. Right now I just have the one 36" BuildMyLED and one 36" PC fixture, there is a lot of viewing light, but I'll need/want to replace the PC fixture to get more intense light to grow coral better.

Great job on the tank!

The Birdsnest that I got form you has already grown a bit!

• 1 month later...

I was trying to take some pictures with my camera, mostly trying to get the white balance right, still don't have it, but figured I'd post some pics...

These two are actually quite the buddies, or is it rather that the one does not want to miss out on any food that the other finds? they are both HUGE PIGS!

post-2161-0-74750600-1359516264_thumb.jp

Some GSP, growing like a weed!

post-2161-0-03607000-1359516345_thumb.jp

The Goby making a later morning appearance, checking if the coast is clear for his mate the tiger pistol shrimp (still need a shot of him).

post-2161-0-59980000-1359516541_thumb.jp

Paired Clowns, still have not decided to host in the Sherman RBTA waiting on themsad.png And the not so camera shy Angle... again.

post-2161-0-01979800-1359516690_thumb.jp

Great looking tank i like the unique shape and stand if you need any help with soldering or wiring let me know i was an electrician many moons ago but soldering is soldering just more advanced solder now these days ... i recommend using a silver based solder melts smoother and has better conductiveness

How long have you had the potter's? I've been thinking about getting one (a bit hard to find) and have been told they're hard to keep.

Probably against most's better judgment the Potters angles was one of the first fish I put in my tank, along with the two clowns. That was on 12/1/2012 it's only been about two months. I've been told that the dwarf angles can be hard to keep, but so far this guy has been very easy. In the first two weeks his eating increased from very little to eating very well. At this point he and the yellow tang both race from side to side of the tank trying to eat ANY food that I feed, and all day long he cruises though the entire tank eating micro-algae of rock, walls, power heads, you name it. At one point I thought, based on how aggressive they went at the food that they were not getting enough food, so I did a test. I way over fed for three days, fed the tank 4 times a day my nominal once a day amount, there was NO "diminished effort" to eat.

He is thick and healthy. My normal procedure is to feed once a day. and I feed a varying combination of frozen food (made by me, it includes garlic extract), spirulina 20 flack, and pellet foods.

I know Mitch has a coral beauty, I think he said he lost the first one, but got a second, pretty small one and it is going strong, at least the last time I saw it.

I got my potter's from AquaDome, at the time they had 3 or 4 of them, I'd look there if you want one.. You can even put your name on a list to be notified when they get one in. Best of luck!

Great looking tank i like the unique shape and stand if you need any help with soldering or wiring let me know i was an electrician many moons ago but soldering is soldering just more advanced solder now these days ... i recommend using a silver based solder melts smoother and has better conductiveness

Thanks for the offer, I ended up going with lights from BuildMyLED (l love the lights and the price), so I did not have to soldering anything this round, but always good to have a contact for an electrician in the hobby!

That's good to hear. I follow a similar feeding routine with my fish so I'm very optimistic now. Just hadn't heard anything from someone outside of the lfs. I'll check out aquadome this weekend. Thanks for the info!

• 1 year later...

smile.png As a matter a fact I did! Thanks for finding it for me. LOL I've have a number of changes that I will post about in the coming days. But my move (coupled with not having access to the tank for a month) took quite a toll on my livestock.

I only have a few fish and coral left. So I guess it is time to rebuild. But first for a memorial of the fish that were lost...

Good bye to...

- One of my favorites, the Potters Angel, did did not make the move.

- Mandarinfish, I think he ran out of food in the temporary holding tank

- Clown tang, he was a good looking fun to watch fish

- One of my two Fire Fish

- Whip Tail Wrasse

- One of my two cleaner shrimp (not a fish, but you know)

- Midas Blenny, lost him before the move, was a cool fish

What I have left, as of last night:

- Yellow Tang

- Paired clowns

- Watchman goby with paired postal shrimp

- One firefish

- One cleaner shrimp

- Four Tiger Tail cucumbers (Will be listing two for sale soon)

I have No SPS left, and a couple LPS that are really on their last leg, I'm not holding my breath. I have some shrooms, and a number of zoas left. Once I am have a stable tank I will look at restocking stuff.

Some equipment changes and photos coming very soon.