Budgeting for a tank

Mark V

Hey all,

I created various budgets for builds from 40 to 75 gallons. It looks like my range is anywhere from 1500 to 2600 depend on the build and what I could find used. I'm pretty sure I got most of the start up costs in there but wanted to if anyone had tips or advice on what I picking out for my planner. I was hopin to get a build under 1000 but really can't see that happening unless I find someone with a complete build that I like.

Also bear in mind I have very little DIY experience so stuff like a stand or drilled tank would be a bit intimating plus I also lack the tools. Actually hooking up a RO unit is a bit puzzling right now for me lol (I use to buy water from LFS or use Aquaparms deionizier when I ran my 55G last time I had a tank

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AsPAUocHSXqTdHlnMlJXcGdJcExMOGZhR01GYTJ4QUE&pli=1

Edited by Mark V

Oh I forgot to mention. I will plan on seeding my rock and sand by buying some established LR and Sand from a LFS or a member here. 5 lbs of LR and a Cup of Live sand should do. I will cycle with Dr. Tim's One and Only.

The overall goal is a tank that is fairly stable and medium bioload. I want to get the most effective equipment I could afford to maintain the stability of the tank while not killing my budget. I plan on hardy or tank raised fish and softies and LPS. I may decide on an SPS or two but they would have to be the easier to keep ones. I'm all about hardy specimens

100 gallons is my limit in size. I feel any bigger could be too much maintenance for my liking and the livestock I prefer for a reef build do not require large tanks. The large amount of sand on some of these plan is due to attempting a deep sand bed. I planned builds with one and others without it.

Edited by Mark V
  • Like 1

Cant access the document.

But, based on your stated estimates, I say your right on target. When I upgraded to my 75, I bought used lights, a used 30 for my sump that I DIYd, and used my previous skimmer, a stand, and MP40, plus the livestock and still spent too much(around $1500 IIRC).

So are you asking if your estimate is reasonable?

If its reasonable and if the equipment I have put on the planner are appropriate

Sorry I forgot to set the doc to public. Try it now

Edited by Mark V

I'd seriously consider doing the 75, but through a LFS. I know RCA has a 100 long, 60x18x21, with a stand/covers/FW lights for $450, so a 75 in the same configuration can be had for ~ $400.

I also know you worry about going to big, but the maintenance needed on a 75 is not much more than a 40. The bigger water change being the only real change.

I wouldnt even consider the 55, too narrow IMO. And the RSM just has a weird shape that isn't conducive to having fish that like to swim.

• Like 1

60 in 75g. I like that. I thought they only went 48 or 60 inches. Longer is better in my book plus I could push for a smaller bristle tooth tang with a 60 inch tank. I could also drop in a 48 inch sump with that extra length

Edited by Mark V

Lol it's actually my wife who is encouraging me to get a tank. I've been against it for time reasons but she thinks it would be beneficial for the kids. The money involved was the other thing that kept me back as well but I ten to be very simple and frugal.

Oh I forgot to mention. I will plan on seeding my rock and sand by buying some established LR and Sand from a LFS or a member here. 5 lbs of LR and a Cup of Live sand should do. I will cycle with Dr. Tim's One and Only.

The overall goal is a tank that is fairly stable and medium bioload. I want to get the most effective equipment I could afford to maintain the stability of the tank while not killing my budget. I plan on hardy or tank raised fish and softies and LPS. I may decide on an SPS or two but they would have to be the easier to keep ones. I'm all about hardy specimens

100 gallons is my limit in size. I feel any bigger could be too much maintenance for my liking and the livestock I prefer for a reef build do not require large tanks. The large amount of sand on some of these plan is due to attempting a deep sand bed. I planned builds with one and others without it.

Mark,

I agree with your bio filtration slant toward bacteria in substrate. In comparing 1 lb of live rock to lb of live sand, I will go out on a limb and say that a lb of live sand will out filter 10 lbs of live rock. In viewing Plan B, I noted 140 lbs of substrate for a 75G tank. This would produce less than a 2" sandbed. If you expect de-nitrification in your sandbed, depending on grain size, you would need closer to 4". If you do not want to lose 4"-6" in your DT, then use 2" of CaribSea Special reef grade aroggonite. This will process waste down to a nitrate. Use a DSB or mud filter combined with a macro refugium to recycle nutriants or export nutriants by pruning and removing macro. Going skimmerless feeds your reef tank

Patrick

I've been debating the DSB. I heard they can be hot or miss with getting right. Would a good sized sump refrugarium provide enough denitratification. In a 55 or 75g setup at 4 feet in length I would be probably getting a 40 gallon long sump so I could fit a 4 foot sump assuming it would fit in the stand. I've heard systems go slimmer less but I not sure if I experienced enough to try that out.

The last tank I had I had the 2 inch be like you described so a DSB would be new to me.

Edited by Mark V

I think your budget can be attained with the bio theme tank that you have described.post-766-134912288243_thumb.jpg

These is one propagation system for combination live rock. Two 55G tanks. Each system is self contained and each cost less than $500.

The bottom tank has cycled for two weeks. Lighting is at 4W per gallon using four T5 lamps. Circulation and filtration is provided by Aquaclear 50 HOB at 200 GPH, Penn Plax Cascade 700 canister filter with a flow rate of 180 GPH. The majority of water movement in this tank is from an air bubble curtain on left end of tank.

post-766-134912363097_thumb.jpg

post-766-134912365932_thumb.jpg

3PM

post-766-13491236951_thumb.jpg

Lights turned on

Equipment Budgeting.

Tc = (1.27Mc + 1) * 1.5 (Et^(Nw + 1)1.5)

Tc = Total Cost

Et = Theoretical equipment costs (list price)

Mc = Number of times mind has changed

Nw = Number of glasses of alcohol immediately before making a purchase

Seriously though, it works...

• Like 1