What corals could I maintain with VHO lighting?

Mark V

I have four T5 over a 55G tank. I think it would be adequate for SPS.

What Patrick said ^

I run a 4 X 54W aquaticlife fixture with ATI bulbs over my 55 and have a lot of SPS and two clams on the sandbed, all the corals and clams are happy and growing. My suggestion would be to read up on the different bulb combos you can use with a T5 fixture to try and get the color combo you are looking for. You can get a 6 bulb but if it is a normal 55 that is only 12 inches wide then you may have some wasted light depending on the fixture.

Which fixtures are you looking at?

Current USA Novaextreme 4 x 54 watt if I do a 55G setup

Tek Light 6 x 54 watt if I do a 75G setup

Do you need a chiller for any of these setups? I'm trying to avoid a chiller and thus staying away from MH and going for a open aquarium vs canopy. Only issue with that could be that we tend to keep the house warmer in the summer at 78 degrees. LEDs seem out of my budget unless I find a used fixture that is a killer deal

Edited by Mark V

I don't think you would need a chiller. The T5 lighting doesn't produce radiant heating like MH does. Unless you are running some huge or very poor quality submersible pumps, I can't imagine needing a chiller. Of the 2 you listed, I would definitely go with the tek. They are very well made, completely silent, and look great. I don't hink you''ll need it, but if you have an open top, the double azoo fan should provide plenty of evaporative cooling to reduce the temp. I run mine on the same schedule with MH on an open top tank and have no problem keeping the temp down.

I agree the lighting is adequate. One more thing to consider is how high the light is displayed above the tank and whether or not the tank has a lid. Lower light + lid = hotter tank. Personally, I don't think anyone needs a chiller unless you're running MH and a canopy.

I have the ATI 6x54 plus 2 vho's on my 120 wide. Sps Does fine. Reflectors are everything. I think the nova extreme is one continious reflector but still not a bad light for the money. You wont need a chiller. I do keep my t'5s cool as possible though . More effective

Edited by Myvirtue