All my SPS corals got bleached out overnight

Bogdan

I bought some small new frags from a fellow reefer (electric blue and blue acro) yesterday. Glued them and put into the tank. In the evening the other SPS corals looked stressed so I change 20% of water. This morning I see all my SPS completely bleached but the new frags seem not so bad. Any idea what could go wrong? Could it be the glue? (gel type super glue). As for the other corals (softies), some are little stressed some are OK. So my: pink bird nest, green bird nest, purple stylophora, monti cap and sun coral are completely gone, white as a snow. See the pictures. Any thoughts?

post-1739-0-77804900-1341272824_thumb.jp

post-1739-0-62588600-1341272840_thumb.jp

post-1739-0-99385100-1341272856_thumb.jp

post-1739-0-07297200-1341272927_thumb.jp

post-1739-0-44925700-1341272943_thumb.jp

post-1739-0-72020700-1341272956_thumb.jp

Birdsnest are funny like that. How did you aclimate them. Minimum 2hr, 3 drips per second in a 5g bucket. The white skeletons are history though. Sorry for your loss.

No you don't get it. The new frags are fine, my old corals died.

that's a tough one. (Sad but beatiful birdsnet pic by the way).

Is it at all possible that you had any soap or chemicals on your hands while working in there? I'm sure you thought of all that. Odd that the new coral(s) aren't affected but different species are stronger/weaker. For those corals to change so fast I think you were correct to change the water because something nasty got in there, chemical-wise. Lighting wouldn't do it that fast and I bet you didn't do anything different there anyway. Everyone uses gel super glue and I'm sure it's not your first time there either. Do you have a sump that anything could have dropped or spilled into?

Did you do all the water tests? I'm curious what everything tests out too including temperature and Alk or pH and phosphates.

Yes, I did test the water but nothing special, all the parameters are standard in my tank for more than a year (temp. 81.5, pH 7.98, sal. 1.026, Ca 480, hardness 8dKH, Mg 1400, PO4 and NO3 below scale). I don't have a sump. All I can think of is that I cleaned my skimmer and used a tissue paper to wipe the propeller.

Do you have any stray voltage in the tank? I recently had some in mine and the LPs and zoa/polyp corals all got pissed off and are now fine. the SPS though go knocked out in ~8 hours, completely white.

If your running metal halides make sure the bulbs are not cracked.

It could be a number of things, really hard to nail down RTN causes. Try to work thru what you see-

Old SPS RTNed but new frags did not. New frags may have released a toxin or carried in a bacteria that they were ok with but existing corals were not.

Your existing SPS RTNed but you LPS and softies did not. SPS are more sensitive than the other corals so you may have a pollutant in the water that effects them but not the softies. If the LPS and softies begin to decline I'd go with that theory.

Also check your pumps/powerheads and heaters for cracks/leaks.

Could have been something as random as a bug falling in the tank or something as simple as a temp spike that you did not notice. At any rate I feel for you, I know that sick feeling in your stomach when you come home to see bright white skeleton.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xamvyi

I have LEDs. I think something must got into the water. The pink bird nest was really growing nice, it started as 1" single branch and after 2 years looked very nice. I guess I will start over.

The two things at the top of my list would be a heat spike or the lights stayed on for 24 hours. Corals may take hours or days to bleach after a stress event so it's a possibility (not neccessarily a probability) your new frags were added after the damage was done to the other corals.

I had a similar situation, all because I didn't dip the new corals. Sorry for your loss. If you need a new frag of birdnset I would be glad to give you a piece. What else did you lose I may have some? JLMK.

Dave-

The two things at the top of my list would be a heat spike or the lights stayed on for 24 hours. Corals may take hours or days to bleach after a stress event so it's a possibility (not neccessarily a probability) your new frags were added after the damage was done to the other corals.

A heat spike caused me to lose all my sps before. I'm also thinking chemical warfare. Could one of the new corals released toxins? I know when I tried to clear out some palys, my birdsnest bleached and my other lps corals were unhappy. The water change should have helped though. Also definitely run carbon. That's a bummer. Sorry.

Did you acclimate your SPS frags prior to putting in your tank? Did you introduce the water from your new frags into your tank?

My theory is something in the water from your newly bought SPS came into your system and pissed everything else off. The newly bought SPS may have acclimated to the conditions in their previous system but once that water was introduced into yours, that brought about the demise of your current stock.

I try to dip, then acclimate all corals to my water by slowly mixing my water into the bag. When it is time to put the coral in, I aim to remove the coral entirely from the bag and discard the bag with the water still in it, only putting the coral itself in my tank.

Sorry about your loss!

Thanks guys for the words of wisdom. Now after I read all the possible hypothesis, I think Timfish and Teresa might be onto something. I did remember that before I introduced these new frags I removed a few Green Button palys just to clear the spot for the new SPSes. I don't really know if the palys are capable of releasing toxins when damaged/cut. And then the SPS es need to be highly sensitive to these compounds. It is possible that they got intoxicated (deadly) before I introduced new frags and then just stripped all the soft tissue/polyps overnight. If that was the case one needs to be extremely careful when removing unwanted softies from the tank. How do you do that if they are attached to a big piece of rock?

Also thanks for the offers of help with the SPS frags, I decided to wait for a week to let things to calm down, change some more water and then if I don't see anything alarming I will be shopping for a few small frags to replace the snow white skeletons. I will start new topic when I am ready to buy new frags..

• 1 year later...

My tank has been cursed or something. Today is almost the one year aniversary of the bleaching disaster that wiped out my tank of SPSes. I did not find any resonable explanation for the sudden death of corals. After that accident everything went back to normal, I added several new frags and they were growing nicely until today. In the morning everything was OK but when I got back from work I saw most of the SPS coral completely bleached, white, the external ectoderm gone. All this happened during 8 hours. I did not touched the tank yesterday, did not even feed the fish. The tank is run by controller so that I see the temp., pH, light et cetera. No spikes of any kind, just checked the water (Temp. 79.2, pH 7.9, salinity 1.023, Ca 440 ppm, hardness 9 dKH, phosphate and nitrate undetectable on the DPI kit). Fish, crabs and all other creatures are fine, 2 or 3 SPSes look just normal with extended polyps, softies some normal some irritated and polyps closed. Most of the SPS and LPS (dendro) dead. Have no clue what just happend. Frankly speaking right now I am frustrated and think of giving up. What kind of sick coincidens is that ? Last time July 2nd 2012 and today July 17th 2013. Take a look at that.

Sunset montipora is dying post-1739-0-65786700-1374117432_thumb.jpirritated zoaspost-1739-0-39566800-1374117452_thumb.jpdead dendropost-1739-0-13166200-1374117467_thumb.jpdying stunner chalicepost-1739-0-71357200-1374117486_thumb.jpdead cyphasterapost-1739-0-75834000-1374117500_thumb.jpdead birdnests and digitata post-1739-0-47038600-1374117514_thumb.jpred, blu and green digi are gonepost-1739-0-77059500-1374117527_thumb.jppink pocillophora and another birdnets completely bleachedpost-1739-0-56846400-1374117538_thumb.jp

Wow. Do have roommates or cleaning people that come by? If you aren't touching your tank maybe someone else is, whether they know it or not. Yes after reading all that I'm now down to sabotage! Ha

Man that's ruff. I had something similar happen. I only thing I found was my nitrates and phosphates were 0. Started feeding and things came back. Have you tested for that? That happened quick.

Man that's ruff. I had something similar happen. I only thing I found was my nitrates and phosphates were 0. Started feeding and things came back. Have you tested for that? That happened quick.

I do feed the corals every other day and they grow. The zero for nitrite and phosphate means that the level is below detection of the kit I am using. It cant be the cause of sudden death of the corals, it happened in eight hours.

Ugh. That sucks. How is your dosing handled ? Are you running carbon ? Any creatures whose death could cause this ?

kalkwasser with ATO, have a bag of carbon, no creature dead or alive could be responsible for that.

Archived