Chipp's Shallow Reef Starter

chippwalters

Shane was always a good help and understanding. Glad he's helping you out with everything!

Yup. Me too!

sorry for your loss, I've enjoyed reading your thread. once you are set up send me a PM and I'll get you some frags.

-brett

Thanks Brett. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thats great! Let me know if you'll be at the frag swap and I'll have a duncan frag for you

Thanks Brian,

I'm still cycling as I really want to get this right. Still a little Nitrate issue. Hopefully ready to go by next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

any updates chipp?

My nitrates are a bit high at 20. It appears I still have a little die off on that rock. I also have a touch of algae but not bad. I talked with Shane this weekend he said to siphon off the algae and I brought back a couple turbo snails just to manage things. I'm out of town next weekend so I believe I wait for the following weekend before I start stock.

Thanks for asking.

chipp,

Can you explain the 90 degree hosebarb sticking out of the front of your bubble trap? I see it just points down at the rocks, is it incase the trap gets backed up?

Chris

It's to allow air to come out of the bubble trap. Remember it's sealed tight, so there needs to be a vent somewhere.

chipp,

Can you explain the 90 degree hosebarb sticking out of the front of your bubble trap? I see it just points down at the rocks, is it incase the trap gets backed up?

Chris

It's to allow air to come out of the bubble trap. Remember it's sealed tight, so there needs to be a vent somewhere.

Thank you for clarifying! I'll need to make sure I do the same.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've been away for quite some time. Actually, I've been waiting for my tank to fully cycle.

It seems like it finally has. This took a bit longer than I expected, but now it is working as I always hoped it would. Using Shane's sump and technique, I now have zero algae issues on the glass or in the tank. And, I have no skimmer and only float a bag of charcoal in the sump along with a bag of Purigen.

Here are some recent pictures. I'll try and get a full tank shot in the coming days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-2160-13571998929_thumb.jpg

post-2160-135719991948_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Promised a FTS and here it is:

2013-01-12-18.30.jpg

For those of you catching up:

My tank crashed hard several months ago. Silicone poisoning AFAICT. Lost everything. My fault. Used the wrong brand.
Just now starting to get things dialed in. Using new 100% cleaned and cured Tukani LR ( sump and LR from Shane at Fishy Business ) in a completely darkened sump. Extremely low upkeep-- just a bag of charcoal, Purigen, and ATO (tbd). Zero algae-- pretty amazing as I never clean it. Hope it stays that way. :-)
Recently landed some pretty sweet corals including a choice Red Blaze Goniopora from Austin Aquafarms. We're lucky those guys are in town. They mostly sell over the Internet and are only open for 3 hours a week to the public. Picked up some healthy Acans and a new Japanese Dendro (my fave). Still no fish. Gonna wait.
Timfish stopped by today, and dropped off a few birdnest coral frags. You can see a couple in the picture above. He's been a huge help during this ordeal and is one of the most knowledgeable people in the industry whom I've come across.
I can't exactly put my finger on why the tank has no algae and looks so good. A few things seemed to come together at once:
  1. Tim came by and we did a water change and algae cleaning of the tank;
  2. I changed my Radion LED fixture to ONLY show blue lights for a few weeks (I really like the ability to dial in the amount of color and intensity.) ;
  3. Added two MP10's and run them all day in nutrient export mode (very cool if you haven't heard of it. Uses two MP's and creates a 3/4 time tank wave and 1/4 export interference wave-- literally takes all the detritus and other debris off the LR and sand bed and pushes it down to the sump. Impressive.)
  4. Started cleaning Shane's sump filter each week (I had previously left it dirty for a month at a time, which Shane chewed me out for!)

Tim was surprised to see the tank so clear and healthy and in such good shape. Shane mentioned a few weeks ago we may have done a bit more harm than originally thought to the original LR. But, now the sump and all seems to be working great. I dose a few hits of Start Smart complete and 8.4 for alkalinity, and that's about it.

FWIW, I'm spot feeding the corals-- a lot, and still zero algae scum on anything, which was the reason for the overhaul in the first place. So, color me happy for now.

Hey chip just read your thread sorry to hear about the crash and tank looks great.... if you wanted to try kenya tree coral again i could cut you a piece mine has been dropping frags

Thanks for the offer. Patrick (Subsea) gave me a couple Kenya tree frags and they're doing swell!

I have that replacement duncan if you want to schedule time to swing by.

Hi Brian,
(Tried sending this PM but it says you cannot receive messages.)
Thanks so much for the offer. When's the best time to catch you on that Duncan? I'm planning on going to ARC mtg next weekend. Will that work?

Pat is a great guy always helping people out with knowledge, frags or both

Yep, couldn't agree more. He babysat a few of my corals which just barely survived-- in fact he still has some of my Acans which are still struggling. Recently, I returned the favor and helped him build his new website: www.aquacultureranch.com (not quite yet ready for business).