Chipp's Shallow Reef Starter

chippwalters

Been awhile since an update, so I thought one was in order...

I acquired another tank build from Craigslist and sold most of the corals and LR, but kept the ocellaris clown. She (he?) is not mated, and has been living alone. She didn't get along with the damsel, who was half her size but insisted on bullying her, so the damsel was deported to the 3.5" gallon where I'm hopefully building a lagoon.

I also got from the tank build 3 brand new Ecoxotic Panorama Pros (2 of them unopened the other a week old), a less than 1 year old MP10, a gorgeous glasscages.com 20 gallon acrylic tank with two drilled and installed 1" bulkheads, and a killer cabinet, plus a lot of other stuff including a skimmer and very nice Eheim pump, which I'm now using. Oh, and did I mention a really nice RODI system as well. Overall, I'm pretty happy ;-)

Here's a pic of Perky, the clown:

IMG_2820.jpg

She's currently hosting a nice patch of GSP which is interesting, as at the beginning, the GSP closed up completely not knowing what was going on, and now is quite enjoying the relationship-- as you can see!

I rearranged stuff to allow for more sand bed visibility, and I added a stunning green frogspawn (a frag from the tank build purchase), which is doing superbly. Then I've had to rearrange some other stuff around, so the sand isn't quite as open now as you can see:

IMG_2827.jpg

And I put all the Acans together to create an Acan garden (like the minuture zoa garden pictured above). They're doing well, but not really coloring as nice as I'd like:

IMG_2828.jpg

And get this. I've been jonesing for a Radion light but really can't justify the almost 8 bills it takes to get one. So, I'm knocking around eBay and I find one, brand new, in the box, for only $690. Well, we all know these things never go on sale and I wanted it-- but still...$700 is still a lot of money. The VERY NEXT THING, I click of my browser tab and I'm in Gmail where a PayPal messages JUST ARRIVES telling me I have an account which will be closed down if I don't do something about it. A lost PayPal account? WTF-- right? I open it and YEP, I do remember creating it a hundred years or so ago and YEP-- it has just over 700 bills in it!!!

That's a sign from God. Right? I mean He wants me to have the Radion-- at least that's what I told my wife.

So, I'm hoping the added light will help the Acans (and the rest) color up a bit. If not-- I'm seriously considering Zevoit (or other-- comments WELCOME!)

Here's the latest FTS. Someday I'll get a real camera and not have to use my iPhone for all this...

IMG_2863.jpg

What a story! I need a lost paypal account too. That's a lot of money to forget about :P The tank looks amazing, as always. Sounds like you made out well with the system you scored on craigslist!

How do I get a mysteriously lost paypal account to appear in my inbox???

It helps to bit a bit skatter brained and forgetful.

What a story! I need a lost paypal account too. That's a lot of money to forget about tongue.png The tank looks amazing, as always. Sounds like you made out well with the system you scored on craigslist!

Yes, the craigslist system has turned out to be a pretty good opportunity. I especially appreciated the 3 PanPros and MP10.

Tank looks awesome Chipp. I received an email as well about a lost paypal account. Hopefully I have 700$ in there as well, but probably closer 7$.

Careful guys. Lost PayPal accounts scream "scam" to me.

Yup. I thought so too. But it all checked out.

But the guy says he's a prince and he is on holiday and I'm the only one to help him.

Tank is looking real good chipp. What kind of corals do you have in mind to put in there still?

I've chatted with that chap as well. Finally got him to send me his picture ;-)

butta.jpeg

I think I'll see how things color up first before adding anything more. It's getting pretty full. I'd love to actually try an RBA, or maybe adding a Picasso, or some different Acros, or...

In anycase, I'm studying up on Zeovit vs NeoZeo. Anyone have any thoughts?

I have been running a zeo-ish system. I use the ZeoBak Bacteria and the Zeo foods and acids, etc, but in combo with Bio pellets running in a zeo reactor. I have some zeo lites, zeo food, and some zeo start you can get from me for way cheaper that retail if you decide to do so. I'm not using them since I'm not doing full Zeo.

My initial reaction was much more vibrant color, more polyp extension, and WAAAY faster enctrusting from SPS. I'm continuing to tweak my dosing schedule to see what results I get.

I have been running a zeo-ish system. I use the ZeoBak Bacteria and the Zeo foods and acids, etc, but in combo with Bio pellets running in a zeo reactor. I have some zeo lites, zeo food, and some zeo start you can get from me for way cheaper that retail if you decide to do so. I'm not using them since I'm not doing full Zeo.

My initial reaction was much more vibrant color, more polyp extension, and WAAAY faster enctrusting from SPS. I'm continuing to tweak my dosing schedule to see what results I get.

Interesting. Why the bio pelletes instead of the Zeolites? I suppose Zeolites are sort of bio pelletes, but then nobody really knows. Are you concerned with nitrate build-up in your reactor? I'm thinking of using my existing TLF Phosban reactor. Do you think it will work if I BLAST it daily to remove the mulm? So many questions...

Hey Chip do you remember that $700 you borrowed from me? It's been a while was worried you'd forget! grin.png What I forget is how fast I spend it! laugh.png

Tim, don't you remember I paid that in full PLUS interest for that killer LED canon you were building for me. BTW, how's the progress on that monster? :)

• Like 1

If you're serious start reading up on the zeovit site. Lots of info there. I use Biopellets since I was already running them and just start adding the zeovit acids and foods.

The ZEO method is based on have the zeolites, adding bacteria and a carborn source which the bacteria eat and colonize on the zeolites and consume ammonia, nitrates, etc. Seems like alot of upkeep. Biopellets are a carbon source, your bacteria colonize and eat from the biopellets, you set them and forget them, add some every few months as they are consumed, but thats it. They do the same sort of thing, increased nutrient exportation, because of a higher amount of bacteria in your system, but not in your display, same as normal ZEO. I'm using Biopellets in a zeovit reactor. I had them in a TLF reactor but couldn't fit very many. You can run Zeolites in a TLF reactor but you can put very much in it. So if you have a small tank, 20-30g, that might work fine. Has to be at a certain flow rate.

If you're serious start reading up on the zeovit site. Lots of info there. I use Biopellets since I was already running them and just start adding the zeovit acids and foods.

The ZEO method is based on have the zeolites, adding bacteria and a carborn source which the bacteria eat and colonize on the zeolites and consume ammonia, nitrates, etc. Seems like alot of upkeep. Biopellets are a carbon source, your bacteria colonize and eat from the biopellets, you set them and forget them, add some every few months as they are consumed, but thats it. They do the same sort of thing, increased nutrient exportation, because of a higher amount of bacteria in your system, but not in your display, same as normal ZEO. I'm using Biopellets in a zeovit reactor. I had them in a TLF reactor but couldn't fit very many. You can run Zeolites in a TLF reactor but you can put very much in it. So if you have a small tank, 20-30g, that might work fine. Has to be at a certain flow rate.

Thanks for your opinion and advice. I have been spending time at zeovit.com. I'm still in "research" mode.

Some of you may wonder why I'm interested in Zeovit. Well, I'm now fighting a film of algae on the glass, and little tufts of algae in the sand bed. I think it's because I'm now having to feed my new fish and nps multiple times a week and haven't done as many water changes as I used to. I've tried running phosguard in my reactor, along with Purigen and GAC, and while things aren't too bad, they're not too good either. Plus, most my corals aren't as colorful as they once were.

I think adding the Radion along with perhaps an ULN methodology like Zeovit or NeoZeo might be fun to try. Supposedly with either of these systems, you can feed more to your corals if you like. Who knows? It's great to explore this hobby-- there are so many ways to do things and much to learn!

That clownfish is a true percula. very handsome

The symmetry is almost perfect. Much better, IMO, than the Reference picture of the percula on the ORA site! And to think I listed this fish for under $20 just a few weeks ago. Glad I kept her/him (is it a he if it's never been around other perculas?)

. . .Tim, don't you remember I paid that in full PLUS interest for that killer LED canon you were building for me. BTW, how's the progress on that monster? smile.png

Kinda not good news on that front. The account I was developing the140 watt fixture with 20 watt LED panels for to replace his 7 250w HQI MH got a job in Denmark. On the brightside he did move an 800 gallon I built with him and I'm getting a check from Denmark for maintaining the 500 until his house sells so now I'm presenting myself as an international company. laugh.png

I am enjoying this thread and seeong the thought process behind the decisions you're making!

Kinda not good news on that front. The account I was developing the140 watt fixture with 20 watt LED panels for to replace his 7 250w HQI MH got a job in Denmark. On the brightside he did move an 800 gallon I built with him and I'm getting a check from Denmark for maintaining the 500 until his house sells so now I'm presenting myself as an international company. laugh.png

Wow. How does one move an 800 gallon aquarium? Did he take his corals and fish with him?

Should I also add then that I haven't done a water change in like 6 months.....

!!!

. . . got a job in Denmark. On the brightside he did move an 800 gallon . . .

Wow. How does one move an 800 gallon aquarium? Did he take his corals and fish with him?

I thought this was hilarious actually. When this guy bought this house I had the 800 in the house in the foyer (big house). He had a empty 500 he moved from CA. He decided to have the 500 built into a wall in the home office and I moved the empty 800 to the garage. The moving company arrived and didn't have a way to get the 800 off the stand onto a pallet so I got a call and had to help them get it off the stand onto a pallet. They then crated it and had one of those tow trucks that pulls a vehicle onto a flatbed come and pick it up to take to the shipping company. All the fish and corals are still in the 500 here in Austin, it was just the empty 800 he took with him to Denmark.

Should I also add then that I haven't done a water change in like 6 months.....

I find this discussion of water changes or not doing water changes rather interesting. I frequently hear or read of someone going long periods of time without water changes. Often this is used to show that a particular filtration methodology may be better than another. Going back through all the literature one of the first times I read about this was Delbeek and Sprungs description of Dr. Jauberts research with deep sand beds in the article "New Trends In reef Keeping" they coauthored in the December 1990 issue of Fresh and Marine Aquarium. At the time the article was written Dr. Jaubert was able to demonstrate very good coral growth in systems running as long as 4 1/2 years with no water changes, no external or internal filter sumps or boxes, no pumps, no protien skimming and no additives, water movement was provided soley by air bubbles. It seems to me the individuals who are successful in going long periods of time without water changes or skipping them altogether do not owe their success to the methodology they are using but owe thier success to luck and intelligent selection of animals for thier system.

In my own experiences over the years the two times I have given up on an algae problem in a tank the systems were 10 an 14 years old and had a history of inconsistent water changes and maintenance.

I have a friend with a 100g tank and she has not done a water change in at least 4 years. She has a yellow tang, a mandarin, 2 clowns and a chromis. Has a leather that is the size of a basketball and a clam that is 24" long and 18" tall. And is covered in Xenia. She has no algae to speak of. And has 4 t-5 bulbs that she tries to change every 2 years. Sometimes it works for some.

• 2 weeks later...
Racking is a lot for that little tank isn't it? Or can you turn them down?

Yes, a it overkill, but I do need more light than I have if I want SPS. and yes, you can turn it down-- or raise it up-- or both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD