Chipp's Shallow Reef Starter

chippwalters

Hi Chris,

Nope it's a blue photosynthetic sponge (Haliclona) I purchased from Aquadome as a frag. Hunter said it came from his own stock. Bluest thing in my tank. I'm not spot feeding it as its photosynthetic. I wonder if I should?

Hi Chris,

Nope it's a blue photosynthetic sponge (Haliclona) I purchased from Aquadome as a frag. Hunter said it came from his own stock. Bluest thing in my tank. I'm not spot feeding it as its photosynthetic. I wonder if I should?

If its photosynthetic, than probably not. It should get random particulates from tank feedings and once you get fish making waste in there.

I just picked up a black sea squirt who is non photosynth, so we'll see how this goes. grin.png

Interesting. After successfully fighting the dino algae (or whatever the instant growing hair algae was called), I moved my Turbo snail off to the sump as there didn't see much in the DT for him to do other than cause massive havok, tipping over corals, clogging the return, etc..

BTW, it appears turbos love to eat chaeto-- which is good as there doesn't seem to be too much else to keep him alive.

That said, the big little guy really did behave pretty well.

Anyway, I left the tank pretty much alone for a few days, letting the ATO and sump/fuge take care of things, only to sit down and notice a bunch of green hair algae starting to grow. Bummer, as unlike the previous algae which you can 'blow' off the rock, this stuff latches on for life and is even hard to scrub off.

So, I placed my turbo back in my DT and right on top of the rock with the hair algae. A few hours later-- all gone. I think I'll paint a little 'S' on his shell!

supersnail.jpg

Glad to hear your amenone pulled through!

Me too! I'm spot feeding him now with a bit of coral frenzy, which the little fella seems to like. I suspect he's a bit light shy as he only hangs out down under the rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a super time yesterday at the ARC club meeting. Ended up spending the evening with Chris (o0zarkawater) and Pat (subsea) at my house. We grilled some steaks, and talked fish. A good time (plus I got to talk Pat into taking my yellow tail damsel off my hands!).

And Tim Hanson (Timfish) was kind enough to drop by today on his way to Pat's and we chatted about my tank and saltwater in general. He had Pat's PAR meter and we created a light map for my tank, which has two

Ecoxotic PAR38 12K Aquarium LED 3-6500K White 2-455nm Blue

and one

Ecoxotic PAR38 Royal Blue Aquarium LED 5-455nm Blue 21W

Par38.jpg

We only did the readings for the two 3-white 2-blue Par 38's as I typically only use the 5-blue Par 38 at night when the others are turned off.

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, my lights are 9" off the surface of the water, and from the water to the sand bed is just under 6". Thanks Tim!

Here's the map:

PARvalues.jpg

Loving the tank man!

Was nice to finally meet you at the meeting, do you ever visit the coast? The more the merrier when we go! Patrick and I will be making a trip in the near future to my coast house.

-Chris

Loving the tank man!

Was nice to finally meet you at the meeting, do you ever visit the coast? The more the merrier when we go! Patrick and I will be making a trip in the near future to my coast house.

-Chris

Yes, sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with you more. Definitely like to spend some time chatting when we can. I'm headed to the coast in July with the rest of the ARC gang.

BTW, Just picked up this from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_3335wt_1294

$(KGrHqN,!iME8J7qwongBPs)M5vh8Q~~60_12.JPG

Looking forward to 'feeding' it!

Tank update..

Picked up the really cool Orange Japanese Dendro today (which I won on eBay from Austin Aquafarms). It's a single polyp and just gorgeous. These guys are not photosynthetic so they must be fed, which is no problem. Also, got a nice piece of Platygyra (brain coral) while I was there. It's easily the greenest thing in my tank. Pics and a NEW VIDEO below.

Video:

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

Wow, your tank looks great and so clean. Do you have any fish in there? The new additions are awesome, I love dendros!

Thanks!

I've a young Behn's Damsel (Neoglyphidodon nigroris), which was being tormented by a Yellowtail Damsel, so I gave the Yellowtail away to Pat. The Behn's only comes out for feelings.

I'd like to add a clown, not sure which type. I've been told the behn's Damsel will get too large for this tank, so I'll be looking for a new home for her soon as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Another pic of the Dendro and the Duncan. That Duncan is going absolutely crazy. Also, you can see my mini BTA has climbed out from inder the rock and is now hanging out more 'in the open' (even though she did take a chunk of GSP when she moved).

IMG_2729.jpg

Looking good bud....love that blue sponge....

Thanks. That sponge isn't growing much. I wonder if it needs more light?

Looks like your feeding everything sterroids! What do you plan on putting in next?

Yeah. Your two duncans are looking super. I'll probably add an Occlelerius soon. I do need to aquascape, but just not sure exactly what to do. I suspect I'll put the GSP and encrusted gorgonian in the back, then group the rest by kind: acans, candy canes, duncans, zoas.