Howdy!

Bayou

My name is James Fee and I just moved down to the area from DFW. I was a member of DFWMAS and DallasMAS for several years and have been in the hobby for 8+ years now. I got the opportunity to move down here for work. I have always loved it down here.

Currently I am without an active tank. I had a really sweet 190 gallon tank in my house but had to sell it when I moved and my wife said no tank in a rental down here.... so I have a awesome 36x36x22 sitting in the conference room at my office waiting on me to finish the cabinets and get water in it! smile.png

Still settling in down here so my participation may be spotty for a while. I work in Civil Construction so if you ever have questions about earth retention, retaining walls, ect feel free to PM me. We do not do residential work but I can give you good advise if you need some.

Also very knowledgable on fragmenting corals and aquaculture of corals, macro algea and rotifers. I own Lone Star Aquaculture and strongly support the development of the aquaculture industry.

I look forward to participating in the club!

Welcome (from another new comer).

Maybe you can answer questions I see a lot:

1) Does dumping your old saltwater from water changes near the house affect the foundation in any way, and

2) Does flushing your old saltwater from water changes down your toilet affect the plumbing in any way?

My guess is no, but they always come up.

Hey George-

I don't think waterchange water would effect your foundation. I think most of it would run off or evaporate before any significant amount would seep into the soil. Plus there is a LOT of rock in the ground down here and it would be hard to put enough water down to make the soils expand enough to put pressure on your foundation. You may have a negative effect on your lawn by raising the salt levels but your foundation is probable safe.

On your second question, when I got my Aquaculture permit from the Dept of Ag. they told me they would prefer us dump out wastewater in a ditch and let it run off rather than waste it into a septic or a local wastewater treatment plant faciluty. Why I asked why I did not get a very detailed explination but it was something along the lines of any odd saltwater bacterias would die in the sun quickly. That said I do not think it will effect the pipes themselves any. You are moving a lot of water thru them and I doubt the salt would be anywhere long enough to have a significant effect.

"When the Saints Go Marching In". I also cheer for LSU and Texas A&M, there are enough Longhorns out here to keep it fun. Welcome aboard. Come on out to the April ARC Meeting. I will be boiling up 200 pounds of crawfish. I am a seaweed farmer, currently waiting on my agriculture permit from Texas. We are having to educate them on the word "organic". In anycase, I saw where macroalgae was in your interest. Join the forum on secialty reefs or reefkeeping.

Patrick

"Come on out to the April ARC Meeting. I will be boiling up 200 pounds of crawfish....

Patrick

Dangit! I've got Guard duty that weekend and can't make it. sad.png I guess I'll meet all of you for the first time in May.

I will save you some boudain and etouffe. I say thank you to all the citizen soldiers.

Patrick

James, I loooked at your website. Very nice. The craftmanship and attention to detail on your growout facility says a lot about your standards. Welcome aboard. We do have fun here.

La bonne temps roulee.

Patrick