Does Carbon go bad?

wesreyn

I got a few buckets of carbon with a package deal a while back. There is no date on them but everything the deal was older so it wouldn't surprise me if they were 2-5 years old. They were tightly closed but some had been used so they were not sealed. I was wondering if carbon expires or goes bad? I would hate for it to leach something in the water but it would save me some money if it were safe to use. Any input would be appreciated.

If they were tightly closed I would use it, especially if it was in buckets as they are usually watertight when closed. If it was left open it would be pulling pollutants out of the air. I would be hesitant about using GFO if it was years old as I understand it it is chemically reactive but I've never checked with a manufacturer.

But just curious, wouldn't that cause evaporation of coral toxin, if there is any trap in the AC, causing it airborne?

What is coral toxin? I would think that there will be organic odor coming from the oven. Not sure what exactly it is, so, you may be right about toxin. At the least, odorous.

Patrick

I didn't know you could bake and re-use....I throw carbon out monthly!!!!! Thanks for the tip. How long should you bake it at 500 degrees???? grin.png

I think that the way it works is that once it reaches 500 degrees, the carbon...not the oven, then it should be cleansed. From what I understand this vaporizes what the carbon has absorbed.

Typically what i have done in other applications (not reef) I would stick it on a baking sheet that i dont care about (one i bought at the dollar store) and I stick it in the oven and set the oven on clean.... This keeps all the air inside the oven and heats it enough to get the AC to 500 easily everything inside the oven gets vaporized as H.I said. Always worked great for me.

But just curious, wouldn't that cause evaporation of coral toxin, if there is any trap in the AC, causing it airborne?

What is coral toxin?  I would think that there will be organic odor coming from the oven.  Not sure what exactly it is, so, you may be right about toxin.  At the least, odorous.

Patrick

I mean like palythoa toxin and such.

AC absorbs the toxin and we bake the AC.... kinda put one and one together...

Edited by Pailines

Recycling activated charcoal in your home oven can be dangerous, as it is a flammable material; activated carbon derived from wood or peat can ignite at about 400 degrees F.

Read more: How to Recycle Activated Charcoal | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7411828_recycle-activated-charcoal.html#ixzz1nV7SXXQC

Ya I never have done it myself, but I have thought about trying it. We sell carbon air scrubbers from a company called Can-Filters, the instructions I have were given to me by the manufacturer, ehow.com may know more about it though :)

• Like 1

Hydrogeologist here, so i'm pretty comfortable with the subject matter. I have a groundwater treatment system that uses 55 gallon drums filled with activated carbon to remove chlorinated solvents from groundwater. You *can* bake out the contaminants, but only a certain subset of contaminants are able to be removed via thermal destruction. Things that fall into the class of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) will come out very readily in that temperature range. However, heavy metals will *not* come out as a result of increased heat. The kinds of things that I would personally be concerned about in my tank would include both VOCs as well as heavy metals. Given the relatively low cost of carbon, I would personally be inclined to toss the stuff and replace. Although the tropic of the thread was technically "can carbon be resued", the answer is yes, albeit with caveats. Whether or not this is the best management practice for reefing depends entirely on your risk tolerance as well as risk tolerance from your wife beating you to death for spending more money on your tank :)

• Like 4

Hydrogeologist here, so i'm pretty comfortable with the subject matter. I have a groundwater treatment system that uses 55 gallon drums filled with activated carbon to remove chlorinated solvents from groundwater. You *can* bake out the contaminants, but only a certain subset of contaminants are able to be removed via thermal destruction. Things that fall into the class of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) will come out very readily in that temperature range. However, heavy metals will *not* come out as a result of increased heat. The kinds of things that I would personally be concerned about in my tank would include both VOCs as well as heavy metals. Given the relatively low cost of carbon, I would personally be inclined to toss the stuff and replace. Although the tropic of the thread was technically "can carbon be resued", the answer is yes, albeit with caveats. Whether or not this is the best management practice for reefing depends entirely on your risk tolerance as well as risk tolerance from your wife beating you to death for spending more money on your tank smile.png

When you thermally destroy the voc's in the carbon do you really think it is necessary to do the multiple steps outlines in ehow.com or will it be sufficient to just stick it in and bake it? I'm curious if my process could be refined to make it a better outcome or if my oven on clean method is enough.

Victoly, you a fellow geologist. I graduated from the University of Oklahoma B.S. 1974, MBA 76. Where did you go? I was thinking of majoring in Hydrology at one time, but sold myself out to petroluem. That would be a great degree now. Sorry, I ventured off the subject.

**** sooner, i refuse to answer you question! Does that answer your question? :) Meh, the petroleum geologists make about double my salary, but I get to live in austin instead of houston. I consider it a worthy trade.

Bio3/Chris - Honestly, I'm not sure. Is the extra step you're referring to letting it dry prior to cranking up the heat? If so, it seems to me that the heating process is going to drive off the water anyway, unless there is some other reaction happening that I'm not aware of. My preference is to toss the stuff anyway. snack.gif

Hydrogeologist here, so i'm pretty comfortable with the subject matter. I have a groundwater treatment system that uses 55 gallon drums filled with activated carbon to remove chlorinated solvents from groundwater. You *can* bake out the contaminants, but only a certain subset of contaminants are able to be removed via thermal destruction. Things that fall into the class of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) will come out very readily in that temperature range. However, heavy metals will *not* come out as a result of increased heat. The kinds of things that I would personally be concerned about in my tank would include both VOCs as well as heavy metals. Given the relatively low cost of carbon, I would personally be inclined to toss the stuff and replace. Although the tropic of the thread was technically "can carbon be resued", the answer is yes, albeit with caveats. Whether or not this is the best management practice for reefing depends entirely on your risk tolerance as well as risk tolerance from your wife beating you to death for spending more money on your tank smile.png

What aquifier are you getting chlorinated solvents from? I use Trinity Aquifier water straight out of the ground into my reef tanks.Why does ground water have chlorinated solvents?

Patrick

What aquifier are you getting chlorinated solvents from? I use Trinity Aquifier water straight out of the ground into my reef tanks.Why does ground water have chlorinated solvents?

Patrick

Surficial aquifers. You would be astounded at the quantity of shallow groundwater contamination that we have statewide as a result of heavy industry and oil and gas production. Luckily it only rarely affects the deep stuff that we use for water supply. And to answer the why, it was standard operating procedure to store wastewater in unlined pits.