Coolest fish you have/had (pics please)

SoggyDollar

I thought this might be a cool topic. Let's see or read about the coolest fish you have. Now I'm not talking about the most expensive or the prettiest, or the one that everyone notices first. Though it may be that one. But definitely NOT the one that spends all day testing the integrity of the glass (or acrylic) unless your into that sort of thing. I'm talking about the cool fish that shows some sign of intellegence with great personality. I'm talking about the one that you smile everytime it looks at you... that one!

You don't have to pick just one. If you don't like favoritisms, provide one/some that you feel fits the definition of a cool fish. Just let us know what kind of fish it is and why you picked it. A picture would be great! If he/she has a name, provide that too...

• Like 1

One (two actually) of my favorites are my flame hawks in my 90g. They're nicknamed "KGB" because no matter what you're doing around the tank, they're watching you. As soon as you make eye contact, they'll move to hide again. Wherever they hide, though, they'll still be watching you. It becomes a game, they move and you start scanning the tank. It might take a minute, but you'll see an eye peeking through a hole in the rock. As soon as you make eye contact, they move again. Between the two of them in my tank, they are absolute favorites of my wife and son. We have a red/white speckled hawk as well, his nickname is "CIA". Awesome fish!

FlameHawkfish1.jpg

• Like 1

My favorite was my Vlamingi Tang, aka Fatty,. That fish had more personality than a lot of people I know. Anytime I was in sight from the tank he would sit at the front of the glass and just stair at you until you'd come over. I know most of y'all ate going to say he just wanted to be fed, but there was definitely more to it than that. Anytime you would put your hands in the tank he would come up and swim circles around your hand, and then start rubbing his sides in between your fingers. My wife always joked about him being a little shark because of the way he'd circle around your hands. It was a very sad day when I came home and found he had gone carpet surfing. My wife, who doesn't care for the tank nor it's occupants, even cried for a few days after that. Still makes me sad to think about. He was the coolest fish by far! Too bad they get so big because I'll never own another due to their extreme size.

post-698-0-70405300-1328804890_thumb.jpg

One (two actually) of my favorites are my flame hawks in my 90g. They're nicknamed "KGB" because no matter what you're doing around the tank, they're watching you. As soon as you make eye contact, they'll move to hide again. Wherever they hide, though, they'll still be watching you. It becomes a game, they move and you start scanning the tank. It might take a minute, but you'll see an eye peeking through a hole in the rock. As soon as you make eye contact, they move again. Between the two of them in my tank, they are absolute favorites of my wife and son. We have a red/white speckled hawk as well, his nickname is "CIA". Awesome fish!

That sounds awesome! That's what I'm talking about!

Here is mine right now. This is my Mystery Wrasse named Sherlock. He is usually the first one to greet anybody who comes up to the tank. He is very curious and constantly moving around the tank is wrasse fasion but minds his own business. He never disturbs other tankmates and seems to have grasped feeding time better than any other fish I have and bedtime. Besides a lot of movement, he seems to be the one most at ease.

IMG_2857.jpg

I have a PJ cardnail named KONG. I hate this fish (I know, strap in and take the ride). My wife got a pair for the tank. She thought they were cool at first, then not so much. So I wanted them out. Not Kong I caught no problem. Kong on the other hand would hang out right out in the open, unless I thought about catching him. Seriously, if I was just watching the tank no problem, he would be front and center mocking me. Think about catching him and ninja smoke bomb and gone. This went on for months. I finaly had all I could take and took every piece of rock out of the tank until I caught the little bugger and dropped him in the sump. One Saturday I'm cooking breakfast for the family and I start to smell something burning. Not my cooking so I go to check it out. My clip on sump light had fallen in the sump, broke the bulb and was arcing current through the water. The pj was swimming right next to it. I had tons of die off and it took a ton of water changes to get back to normal but no adverse effects on KONG. He may now die of old age, in my sump.

I have a PJ cardnail named KONG. I hate this fish (I know, strap in and take the ride). My wife got a pair for the tank. She thought they were cool at first, then not so much. So I wanted them out. Not Kong I caught no problem. Kong on the other hand would hang out right out in the open, unless I thought about catching him. Seriously, if I was just watching the tank no problem, he would be front and center mocking me. Think about catching him and ninja smoke bomb and gone. This went on for months. I finaly had all I could take and took every piece of rock out of the tank until I caught the little bugger and dropped him in the sump. One Saturday I'm cooking breakfast for the family and I start to smell something burning. Not my cooking so I go to check it out. My clip on sump light had fallen in the sump, broke the bulb and was arcing current through the water. The pj was swimming right next to it. I had tons of die off and it took a ton of water changes to get back to normal but no adverse effects on KONG. He may now die of old age, in my sump.

Funny story... I think you missed the point of this thread but I like it smile.png Do you have a picture of the sump dweller? BTW you should change his name to something like Sparky or Captain Zap...

My favorite fish is Big Boi (boy), only fish that has a name. He is a huge black longnose tang. This fish will be with me unti he passes, even if its 20 years from now. Lots of personality and very friendly, he can even turn on and off a bright blue stipe on his back which is very cool. He is so black its like looking at a black hole swimming around the tank lol. Around 10" long and when he bows up to the other fish and sticks up his fins he's 10" tall. The boss of the tank hands down but never shows until someone gets out of line, then there is no competition. His blade is bright white. I huge pig and can devour a sheet of nori by itself in just a minute or two.

post-1255-0-54525000-1328840205_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-75248400-1328840374_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-16987500-1328840392_thumb.jp

• Like 1

mframe, I'm figuring your flame hawkfish is reef safe? I like it!

Hydro, you're in some other level of marine aquaria that is above my pay grade at the moment. But keep it coming man, vicarious living is better than nothing. NICE! Does Big Boi's stripe change like a mood ring?

My favorite fish is Big Boi (only fish that has a name), he is a huge black longnose tang. This fish will be with me unti he passes, even if its 20 years from now. Lots of personality and very friendly, he can even turn on and off a bright blue stipe in his back which is very cool. He is so black its like looking at a black hole swimming around the tank lol. Around 10" long and when he bows up to the other fish and sticks up his fins he's 10" tall. The boss of the tank hands down but never shows until until someone gets out of line, then there is no competition. His blade is bright white. I huge pig and can devour a sheet of nori by itself in just a minute or two.

Stephen do you still have your harlequin tusk? i thnk thats would be a toss up between the black and him. I dont have any cool fish YET

mframe, I'm figuring your flame hawkfish is reef safe? I like it!

Hydro, you're in some other level of marine aquaria that is above my pay grade at the moment. But keep it coming man, vicarious living is better than nothing. NICE! Does Big Boi's stripe change like a mood ring?

My hawks have been reef safe, but sadly not shrimp and invert safe. I regularly replace hermits and snails, and have been totally unable to keep shrimp with them since they figured out how delicious my cleaner shrimp were.

Holy *hit Stephen! Thats an expensive fish!

Luckily I got a great deal on him, the bigger ones are less expensive.

Stephen do you still have your harlequin tusk? i thnk thats would be a toss up between the black and him. I dont have any cool fish YET

Yes sir, tusk is doing well. Very cool fish too, just not as much personality as the black tang. I've read that tusk hide most of the time but this guy is out all day now and he eats pellets. He did also eat every crusty in the tank though :( Here are a couple pics.

post-1255-0-64667300-1328920802_thumb.pn

post-1255-0-22367400-1328920816_thumb.pn

NICE! Does Big Boi's stripe change like a mood ring?

Thank you!

He can turn that blue stripe on in seconds, and go immediately back to black in just a few seconds. I thought that the blue stripe was him being aggressive but I'm not sure about that anymore. It seems to be random, sometimes he bows up and is all black, sometimes he bows up bright blue....or something in between. I've never seen any other fish do this, its an all day thing switching back and forth.

This male fish passed several months ago, I think of old age. Anthias only live about 3 years and this one was full grown when I got it and lived for at least a year in my tank. One of my favorites for sure (looked even better in person) and I'm looking for another to replace him. The male bimaculatus is the pink fish and the pink/yellow is the female that I still have.

post-1255-0-67139300-1329186336_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-56862100-1329186347_thumb.jp

Great thread! I'm trying to figure out what fish to get next and this has been very helpful! (Leaning towards a flame hawk now!) wink.png

The current star in my tank is my new blue-spotted jawfish:

jawfish.jpg

He's so fascinating to watch dig his little burrows and arrange his rock rubble "furniture." Amazing eyesight too, when he sees something moving he'll turn to stare it down.,, even if it's my dogs wondering around across the room.

I love my mandarin Rossi(like Valentino Rossi) he's the reason I got into the hobby. I saw a pic of one starting researching and set out to have a tank to sustain one. it took 8 months and 5 biocubes to get a 65g tank to finally get the nerve to get one. after I found him I set out to get him eating pellets. 30 days later I had him eating pellets, I still have video of first time I saw him eating pellets. now Rossi will tap on the glass when I feed and he doesn't see pellets falling to the sand, he will flare up and tap the glass. like the pic !! yes 3 years later I still have him. he's about 4 inches of fat happy mandarin

9c10922f.jpg

Our fav has to be our Blonde Nasso Tang, nicknamed Blondie. She was very sociable. The first one to great us in the morning & the last to say goodnight. If she saw us walking past the tank she would swim alongside us. She even at out of our hand. He main job in the taken was referee. She would break up bickering & protect any new inhabitants. We lost several months ago, found curled up in the back of the tank with no indication as to her demise. We really miss her. Her she is with our clown Dagwood.

gallery_251_46_271099.jpg

Rossi will tap on the glass when I feed and he doesn't see pellets falling to the sand, he will flare up and tap the glass. like the pic !! yes 3 years later I still have him. he's about 4 inches of fat happy mandarin

9c10922f.jpg

That is a very cool fish, so you trained your madarin to eat pellets and then he trained you to feed him pellets when he wants them.....awesome.

I have a scooter blenny that eats pellets but my mandarin still won't touch them. What was the trick?

Here's my coolest fish......after a long wait I found em couple months ago and had em shipped to me at the 1st sight ....very healthy and center fish of my reef like my black tang.....

IMG_3435.jpgIMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3437-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossi will tap on the glass when I feed and he doesn't see pellets falling to the sand, he will flare up and tap the glass. like the pic !! yes 3 years later I still have him. he's about 4 inches of fat happy mandarin

9c10922f.jpg

That is a very cool fish, so you trained your madarin to eat pellets and then he trained you to feed him pellets when he wants them.....awesome.

I have a scooter blenny that eats pellets but my mandarin still won't touch them. What was the trick?

used the formula one pellets the real tiny ones he also like the Dainichi marine fx, i would keep an eye out during feeding time i mixed blood worms and pellets and spot fed him till he started taking a liking to them