QT service for fish

Hydro

QT service for new or sick fish  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm wondering if there is any value in offering a QT service for new or sick fish. QT would need to be for at least 3 weeks and treatment would include 2 weeks of copper to treat for external parasites and antibiotics to treat for bacteria infections, one week treatment for internal parasites. The goal of the QT service is for the fish to be disease free, for them to see people as a source of food (really important), and try and train them to eat pellets and flakes.

This would include accepting fish being shipped from online vendors, saving you from having to be there for delivery and acclimation.

What do you guys think? Got any comments or suggestions?

• Like 1

I could see doing it on a fish I was spending 100+ on but even then I would probly just set up a 10Gal with hob filter.

But I do see a market for it but setting up 10-20 tanks to hold fish seperate and each one having to be on a serperate filter it would get costly to run.

And what happens if the fish dies while you are taking care of it ?

I could see doing it on a fish I was spending 100+ on but even then I would probly just set up a 10Gal with hob filter.

But I do see a market for it but setting up 10-20 tanks to hold fish seperate and each one having to be on a serperate filter it would get costly to run.

And what happens if the fish dies while you are taking care of it ?

If you have a 10 gallon and a HOB filter that might work, but a 10 gallon is really small to QT a fish in. Plus if you use a 10 gallon you will be changing the water often and risk of a spike in your parameters possibly killing the fish. I probably wouldn't QT a fish in anything less than 30 gallons. If you don't already have those things already a 10 gallon and a decent HOB filter will set you back $50 at least.

I wouldn't have seperate tanks for each fish, I would have larger tanks and only place fish in them that could get along together.

There would be no guarantee offered for fish unless there was negilgence on my part. I would explain my exact procedures and if you agree to have the fish QTed this way then the risk is up to that person. If for some reason I had a problem with my QT system and I killed the fish I would be resposible for that.

This pole does not really work. If you vote no, you still have to select a dollar amount and if you don't because they are too high, you cannot vote. It should be edited to add more dollar amounts, a 0 and a 5 would be great.

Got it, added a "wouldn't pay anything" choice

Good luck on the poll. If there was a service where I could pay say $20 and have fish or corals delivered to someone thats available and they will care for them (ie. get them out of the heat/cold) until I get off and deliver them to me when I am home then I'd do that. Wasted a whole day from work the other day because I wanted to be home when my fish and corals came in.

Since you can write off mileage for business then it just time your spending driving to and from.

This would also work out great for group buys deliveries as well.

My .02c

Good luck on the poll. If there was a service where I could pay say $20 and have fish or corals delivered to someone thats available and they will care for them (ie. get them out of the heat/cold) until I get off and deliver them to me when I am home then I'd do that. Wasted a whole day from work the other day because I wanted to be home when my fish and corals came in.

Since you can write off mileage for business then it just time your spending driving to and from.

This would also work out great for group buys deliveries as well.

My .02c

Interesting that you brought this service type up. I will actually be bringing this type of a service plus courier service to the ATX area. I'll post my thread tonight now that I have everything in place. As H.I is doing I will get a poll set and figure out if enough people will even want this service, so far it seems like they do from the individuals I've talked to. Also I have been doing weekly deliveries, each time I have been on time or called when there is a delay so I have a running record.

Well, negilgence is hard to prove in a case like this. Where is the value? Pay $30.00 for a blue tang and spend $45.00 to QT it.

If you doubt that I would be honest about negligence then you shouldn't consider bringing fish to me to QT. I wouldn't use any vendor that I questioned whether or not they are honest. Sometimes you just have to trust people and if you don't then don't use their sevices. If someone actually questioned it they would be welcome to sample the QT water themselves.

If you aren't QTing your fish then there would be no value in doing so for you. Everytime that you do though you run the risk of something being introduced in to your tank that can kill the fish that you already have. Then there would be some value but it would be too late then, at that point it would have been cheaper to QT.

You bring up hippo tangs, that's actually a good one. I could start a new poll and ask how many people have had new hippo's die in their tanks, there will be quite a few people that have. So lets say you buy one...it dies....so you buy another....again it would have been cheaper to pay to QT the first fish. Hippo tang are very sensitive and need to be paid real close attention for the first few weeks to get them eating and ich free before they are introduced in to a tank.

• Like 1

You'd make a fortune if you started a "train your mandarin/scooter blenny to eat mysis" tank. Just saying....

I actually was going to give it a shot once the QT system matured enough to have pods in it. Both my scooter blennies eat mysid, my mandarin still refuses.

You take everything personal. You brought up negligence I didn't. I just stated that it would be hard for someone to prove. If the fish die after two days, it was already down hill anyway. Why not buy fish from Diver Den, They offer the same Qt before they ship and you have a warranty for two weeks on the fish and buy the time you add all the cost it's about the same. You are always talking about great it is. How are you at keeping Chocolate Tangs? Anyway, Elgin is too far for me to participate if I was so inclined. Besides, anyone that is foolish enough to purchase a fish that has just arrived the day before is just asking for trouble. ie a certain December sale. The fish is already stressed, and by moving them again so soon is just asking for more trouble. Wish you luck

Wow, simmer down there Michae52... If you aren't inclined to use the service, don't see value in it, or think you live too far away anyway... why post on the topic other than to state that you personally wouldn't use it, especially aggressively? You make some decent points, but it is your approach that seems a little aggressive for a friendly thread...

• Like 1

You take everything personal. You brought up negligence I didn't. I just stated that it would be hard for someone to prove. If the fish die after two days, it was already down hill anyway. Why not buy fish from Diver Den, They offer the same Qt before they ship and you have a warranty for two weeks on the fish and buy the time you add all the cost it's about the same. You are always talking about great it is. How are you at keeping Chocolate Tangs? Anyway, Elgin is too far for me to participate if I was so inclined. Besides, anyone that is foolish enough to purchase a fish that has just arrived the day before is just asking for trouble. ie a certain December sale. The fish is already stressed, and by moving them again so soon is just asking for more trouble. Wish you luck

Why do you always have to be negative, why don't you try being positive instead? Honestly man you don't bother me at all, there is always at least a few guys like you on every forum, just the way it is. Question though.....Are you calling me and everyone else that bought fish at the RCA december sale foolish? That would be a lot of people on this club including the club owner, that's not very nice.

I love divers den actually and would never suggest that someone not buy from them. Divers Den has a limited selection of fish so if you want something that isn't there then you have to order from somewhere else. Usually "somewhere else" has a 2 week warranty too. So if someone bought online and had their fish shipped here for acclimation and it died then that person could act on the guarantee from whoever sold it.

BTW I have a chocolate tang, he's doing just fine. One of my favorite fish actually.

lol, you probably didn't think I had one of these or you wouldn't have asked

post-1255-0-42795900-1328227026_thumb.jp

Anyway, Elgin is too far for me to participate if I was so inclined. Besides, anyone that is foolish enough to purchase a fish that has just arrived the day before is just asking for trouble. ie a certain December sale. The fish is already stressed, and by moving them again so soon is just asking for more trouble. Wish you luck

Is North Austin too far for you also? There will be daily M-F deliveries from North Austin to Hydro Innovations if you ever felt inclined, I'll be starting my courier.

Anyone that is foolish enough to not purchase a fish at a great price. ie people who knew about it and didn't go buy fish they have wanted. The fish is priced dirt cheap and by attending the sale your just asking for great bargains. Wish you laughter and happiness.whistle.gif

You'd make a fortune if you started a "train your mandarin/scooter blenny to eat mysis" tank. Just saying....

This is a great idea mike, I would love to see this happen and even adopt the first trained fish to make sure it kept eating in a new tank of course!shifty.gif

That is one GORGEOUS fish Hydro!

thanks Jose! I got that fish from a member here probably a year ago (robert ochoa). I feel lucky to have it, one of the fish that is on my "will never sell" list.

I would just like to remind everyone to keep a civil tone in this thread. Opinions are fine as long as they are stated respectfully. If this thread becomes a flamefest, it willbe locked down.

I would rather you just delete anything unrelated to this thread than lock it down. I'm trying to establish whether or not its worth me offering a service like this and it wouldn't be fair to lock the thread because of someone else's actions (I think that I'm being civil). Again please feel free to delete any unrelated posts, just dirties up the thread and that part of the discussion has been a waste of time.

Just my .02,

If you decide to embark on this endeavour, I'd recommend looking into the laws for practising veterinary medicine. It may be a fine line as you are treating other folk's fish, providing medicine, and housing them. I'm not saying that it is illegal or not but I'd definitely check with a lawyer. You don't want to get nailed for practising medicine without a license and this sounds fairly close. Housing fish would be OK IMO. The medicine and treating may be over the edge.

I don't think this is a terrible idea, but I would not expose myself to undue legal attention. Know the rules before you do this.

Grog

The only reason i voted no was cause i have a qt set up and its out of the way and already cycled. But if i didnt have the time or space and i didnt wanna deal with it, i would use the service. Id have to check out the person and the set up, and have to get some type of assurance or document that makes sure ill get my fish when the qt period is over. Im a bit paranoid about being screwed over, and i do not trust people at all most of the time. In this economy everything counts lol. For someone like me, what would make me feel completely comfortable would be for the person quarantining the fish to purchase it for/from me, then when its ready, i would gladly pay for the fish and the qt.