Idea: ARC owned frag tank

ARC Frag Tank  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a passing/whimsical thought, but I'd love to see a large ARC community frag tank that can be set-up at frag swaps. It would be so much more convenient/efficient than a dozen people setting-up a dozen small frag tanks. Also, no more folding tables full of frags/corals in Tupperware containers or Ziploc bags, where everything looks like browned-out SPS.

Perhaps a long & shallow acrylic tank (built by Prof?).....maybe a special raffle to pay for it initially and then it can continue to generate revenue by renting-out tank space to sellers during the swaps?

Just a passing/whimsical thought, but I'd love to see a large ARC community frag tank that can be set-up at frag swaps. It would be so much more convenient/efficient than a dozen people setting-up a dozen small frag tanks. Also, no more folding tables full of frags/corals in Tupperware containers or Ziploc bags, where everything looks like browned-out SPS.

Perhaps a long & shallow acrylic tank (built by Prof?).....maybe a special raffle to pay for it initially and then it can continue to generate revenue by renting-out tank space to sellers during the swaps?

I'd throw in some cash on a special tank made for this purpose. Whoever hosts uses WC water for it??

And maybe a sponsor can supply frag racks for a certain incentive?

I'd throw in some cash on a special tank made for this purpose. Whoever hosts uses WC water for it??

And maybe a sponsor can supply frag racks for a certain incentive?

I believe Prof already has an acrylic tank like this for sale..... its divided into 7 chambers.... just a thought

what about cross contaminations

sounds like a coral std tank

I guess if people were really concerned with contamination, nobody would be buying any corals at frag swaps in the first place, right? But, I understand your point. Not everyone is going to use it.

I have a tank that would make for a frag tank. It's 4' long and shallow. Someone could make a frag rack structure out of egg crate and there would be plenty of room for frags. Certainly the club might outgrow it in time, but for now it would work.

Send me a msg mframe if you want to go this route. I'd be happy to donate it to the club.

Just a passing/whimsical thought, but I'd love to see a large ARC community frag tank that can be set-up at frag swaps. It would be so much more convenient/efficient than a dozen people setting-up a dozen small frag tanks. Also, no more folding tables full of frags/corals in Tupperware containers or Ziploc bags, where everything looks like browned-out SPS. Perhaps a long & shallow acrylic tank (built by Prof?).....maybe a special raffle to pay for it initially and then it can continue to generate revenue by renting-out tank space to sellers during the swaps?

TOTALLY DISAGREE...I would not go for my frags being mixed with others simple because of all the bad stuff that can be transferred from one to ALL....I have not ever heard of any trouble we have had in the past with Swap meets that have been held at my house. To the best of my knowledge it has always been a lot of happy reefers. I believe that the general buyers at Swap meets have been very happy with their purchases lot more then they have with LFS and Group orders. Just my opinion....

Thanks Andrew and Mike, it has been rewarding to have this club up and going. You are greatly appreciated and would love to see the chat room back as well. It has saved me many times and very enjoyable to relax with your friends just talking. I would also love to continue the yearly Frag Swap meeting at my house but not with a huge tank to hold all, sorry I think many folks wood be disappointed in more ways then one. As for you who would like to do it this way then let's have it at your place.

You mean the bi-annual frag swaps smile.png

I would like to add that if ARC ever did go down this path, I doubt it would ever be mandatory that everyone would have to use it (in fact, I doubt we could realistically get one large enough). People would still be able to set up their own tanks.

I would envision it has a way for small time fraggers to have a better way to display their goods than just in little plastic baggies.

Thanks you James for splitting this off. I debated with myself about posting a reply since it was going off topic but this is an important issue.

. . . I would not go for my frags being mixed with others simple because of all the bad stuff that can be transferred from one to ALL . . .

I'm with Theresa, quarantining fish and corals cannot be over emphasized. IMO ARC should be very proactive about this especially at our frags swaps.

PBNJ makes some legitimate points. I don't see a problem with ARC setting standards for sponsers and the individuals who are semi-professional growers but also doing something to actively help out the hobbyist who is trying to get rid of some overflow.

Should I assume that the people who are worried about contamination are people who just sell corals and don't buy anything? Because if not, any dipping/quarantining you'd do to corals you purchase from others can also be done to the corals that you end-up not selling and bringing back home.

Personally, I know I've never sold corals at the swaps (I've purchased plenty though) because I don't feel like going through the time/effort of setting-up a frag tank. I also won't bring them in tupperware/bags because I know I can get much more value selling them on my own with proper pictures and where people can see them under proper lighting. With an ARC frag tank, I would definitely participate in selling as well.

I don't think any amount of discussion is going to sway people one way or the other. I guess the real question is do we have enough people who are interested to move forward with such an endeavor. Maybe add a poll question to this thread?

Again, nobody's saying you can't continue to do things the old way, i.e., you won't be forced to use the ARC frag tank. This is just another option to enhance the frag swap experience for others who might be interested. If there's not enough interest, we can move on.

Thanks you James for splitting this off. I debated with myself about posting a reply since it was going off topic but this is an important issue.

. . . I would not go for my frags being mixed with others simple because of all the bad stuff that can be transferred from one to ALL . . .

I'm with Theresa, quarantining fish and corals cannot be over emphasized. IMO ARC should be very proactive about this especially at our frags swaps.

PBNJ makes some legitimate points. I don't see a problem with ARC setting standards for sponsers and the individuals who are semi-professional growers but also doing something to actively help out the hobbyist who is trying to get rid of some overflow.

Well said. Mark has graciously donated the tank, so what we do with it can be up to the club. Not every member can bring a portable setup to a frag swap so I think it's nice to have the option should we decide to use it. Thanks Mark!

I like the idea of using that tank that Mark donated as an option as you suggested Mike...an option for those who don't have tanks to use it....

A note...you'll have cross contamination no matter how you look at it whether you buy from me, an LFS, another reefer or you throw all your frags into a community tank...it will exist at some point and at some level. That's why it's all of our own individual responsibilities to dip any coral going into a tank. And props to those that actually take the time to do true quarantine setups. That's a lot of work.

Personally...I would still set up my own tank just because I'm anal about things.

I think it's a good idea for those who don't want to/don't have/can't set up a frag tank of their own. Since I have a brand spanking new custom tank that I built for displaying at the swap, I wouldn't need to/wouldn't want to use it. BUT, for folks who don't have a tank, I don't see how this is any different than the "hey, does anyone have a little space in their frag tank I can use at the swap?" posts that go out for nearly every swap I have been to.

If ya don't want to use it, don't, if ya do want to use it, then do.

I qt/dip everything that comes into my tanks. Everyone should be doing this, to help prevent the spread of std's.

I am not sure if this is a waste of time and money or not. The last few meetings that I have been to there has been maybe 5 people total there. Which seems like it would be more time to plan this than it is worth.

I am not sure if this is a waste of time and money or not. The last few meetings that I have been to there has been maybe 5 people total there. Which seems like it would be more time to plan this than it is worth.

This is for our bi-annual frag swap, not our monthly meetings.

With increased door prizes and member activity we're hoping for much better turnout at meetings. The photography session we're having in February at Dave's place is usually the most popular of the year. His house has been so packed in the past that it's hard to walk through!

Archived