Source for salt?

KevinB

What's the cheapest per gal (but not through the roof in silicates, etc) source for salt in the area? I'd like to get some tonight or tomorrow. How do the local stores compare to each other?

Anyone have some they want to sell? I need enough to make 90g.

It's probably about time to have another salt group buy. Any of our LFS sponsors want to run one?

Just picked up salt at the RCA holiday sale smile.png

I really wish I hadn't decided to finally set up my tank a week after their sale! Seriously though, the guys at RCA have been super great -- I've bought all my water from them so far.

Does anyone know the difference between the 1 dollar water and the 1.50 water though?

Unless it's changed since six months or so ago, the $1/gallon saltwater is made with instant ocean mix and the $1.50/gallon is made with tropic marin.

Why is tropic marin better than instant ocean?

I recently saw a post in another forum where someone did an analysis of the different salt mixes out there, and Instant Ocean seemed like it had more phosphates, silicates, ammonia, etc. It seems like its just poorer quality.

Unless it's changed since six months or so ago, the $1/gallon saltwater is made with instant ocean mix and the $1.50/gallon is made with tropic marin.

Why is tropic marin better than instant ocean?

Lynn,

It depends on who you talk to. I use Instant Ocean as do most public aquaria. In my opinion, the extra price for these salts is unwarranted. No matter what quality salt goes in, biological process in our system require nutriant controls. I prefer to use Natural Nitrate removal systems and not worry about what is in the water. Yes, I run a high hutriant system and it works for me.

With just setting up your tank the cheep stuff is perfect. After the tank has been up 6 months if you start adding alot of large coral that have hard body structures you might want to switch to a higer grade saltmix

But its definatly not needed unless you are trying to get an over the top tank. But if you only have a few zoe a few fish stay with the cheep stuff its all you really need.

• 2 weeks later...

Tropic Marin pre mixed from RCA for me and I have tested with my TDS meter. RCA is only store that can get 000ppm. eveyone else is above 100ppm. and if under 40g pre mixed isnt to much depending how much u do w. changes. (i do once a month on 30g)

Edited by ManImTheMan

I've been using Instant Ocean since I started. I've tried some of the other brands over the years but didn't notice any difference in my tanks and have always gone back. I also have never bothered with using a TDS meter.